• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bernardo breaching FA Rule E3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely forgot about this thread.

It'll be a 6 match ban unless they appeal & win

Completely forgot about this thread.

It'll be a 6 match ban unless they appeal & win

Bernardo isn't worried - he says they have the best legal team.

get

Remember when someone threw a banana at Bale because he looks like a monkey and people were saying that was racist.

Loads of people don't have a clue what racism is anymore.

I don't think Silva posted that with any racist intent. In fact, I know he didn't.

But then I think, fuck it, it's Bernardo Silva and it's City, so throw the book at him.
Racism doesn't need intent. Unintentional racism or unconscious bias (see also 'white fragility') is every bit as damaging (more so, in fact) than overt or intentional racism.

It's Silva's ignorance that's the problem, not his intention. Hopefully this ban will give him some time to reflect on that.

Blue Moon will explode even on conspiracy of the FA against their team.

Wait a second. You can't see that that image has racial connotations? You need to be told? Also, connotations is putting it mildly. These comic characterizations are from WAYYY before anyone needed to be subtle about racism.

Is the characterisation still on the packets today? Yes

Do they also have a white one representing white chocolate? Yes

Is that racist towards white people? Or are we overlooking this?

People want to look for racism in everything it seems.

Did we all forget the tweet/video from Bernardo about Mendy being naked because he was wearing all black? It wasn't just that cartoon thing.

Great banter from the little elf

And it shouldn't be.

Yeah, it looks like an albino racist stereotype. In no way would a white person be insulted by it, because the discourse that engendered the image doesn't apply to white people, and no other aspect of the caricature applies.

Yeah, I searched SUPER, SUPER HARD, and I think I found a tiny mote of racism here.

evolucic3b3n-conguitos.jpg

It's weird, my brain couldn't conceive of how they came up with such an original logo either. It's an entirely...

unique...

images

type....
blackface_3910.jpg

of

visual
cocori-1-2015-6-3.jpg

representation.
images

And it shouldn't be.

Yeah, it looks like an albino racist stereotype. In no way would a white person be insulted by it, because the discourse that engendered the image doesn't apply to white people, and no other aspect of the caricature applies.

Yeah, I searched SUPER, SUPER HARD, and I think I found a tiny mote of racism here.

It's weird, my brain couldn't conceive of how they came up with such an original logo either. It's an entirely...

unique...

images

type....
blackface_3910.jpg

of

visual
cocori-1-2015-6-3.jpg

representation.
images
Yeah, if a British player posted a pic of Gollywog along side a black player there would be an immediate recognition of how problematic this was. This kind of 'banter' is not acceptable.

Yeah, if a British player posted a pic of Gollywog along side a black player there would be an immediate recognition of how problematic this was. This kind of 'banter' is not acceptable.

A lot of people, disturbingly, base assignations of racism on how well people know how to censor themselves in a certain kind of public discourse.

Stuff like this though... yeah, I think it's a worthwhile project to self-police the discourse. And by that weak and exculpatory definition only - where people get to just keep fucking people as long as they can walk a fairly simple rhetorical path... well, Spain isn't as "woke" as many other countries.

Especially on this sort of charming, old-timey casual racism. It's entirely possible that bernardo doesn't get it at all.

I remember when I first came to the US, and in the schoolyard, I said "eenie meanie... catch a nigger by the toe.'

I had no idea what a nigger was. I thought it was some sort of weird insect, or fantastical creature.

Oh wow, did I get in trouble. Meanwhile the school I evidently learned it was basically all white, and the school I went to was all white. I had zero racist intent. Should I have got in "trouble" as such? I don't know. But I'm glad somebody filled me in.

He must be thick as fuck. Imagine going on twitter on your work account and posting a black colleague and that picture. It doesn't matter that they're mates. It's at the very least a very stupid thing to do and I know in the vast majority of workplaces, gross misconduct.

I also don't think he's acted as a racist or with malice or whatever, but this in no longer acceptable as it continues to spread a negative stereotype, and he should realise that. Hope he thinks about it as he watches us beat his side from the director's box next month.

And it shouldn't be.

unique...

images

type....
blackface_3910.jpg

of

visual
cocori-1-2015-6-3.jpg

representation.
images
I'd like to have sex with this post.

Reactions: Ijg
Guardiola thinks it looks like Mendy too, and fails to see that the denigratory representation of Black people is completely different from a doppelganger image of a white person. FFS.
Guardiola also defended Silva by arguing that Mendy bears a resemblance to the Conguitos logo. “It was just a joke,” he said. “It’s a cartoon and the face is quite similar. The same happened a thousand million times with white people.”

Guardiola thinks it looks like Mendy too, and fails to see that the denigratory representation of Black people is completely different from a doppelganger image of a white person. FFS.

Ah Jaysis Pepe. That's a looney thing to say and it gives cover to the unconsciously biased

Someone just said "Racism against white people"... Pretty funny.

He must be thick as fuck. Imagine going on twitter on your work account and posting a black colleague and that picture. It doesn't matter that they're mates. It's at the very least a very stupid thing to do and I know in the vast majority of workplaces, gross misconduct.

I also don't think he's acted as a racist or with malice or whatever, but this in no longer acceptable as it continues to spread a negative stereotype, and he should realise that. Hope he thinks about it as he watches us beat his side from the director's box next month.

The fact that he's from multicultural and multiracial Portugal makes it even more retarded. And he's been in the UK for more than 2 years, it's not like he just came to Manchester from an environment with zero historical awareness about racial stereotypes, colonialism etc

Guardiola's attitude perfectly encapsulates the stall of the civil rights movement and the uphill battle it faces in achieving anything approaching equality. That is, the total ignorance of most white people about how prejudice actually works and its manifestation over centuries, and their own part in perpetuating it.

Is that racist towards white people? Or are we overlooking this?

I'm not getting into a tiresome, fractious dialogue about fucking racism in the FF, but that character is obviously based on a caricature of a black person; it's been softened over the years so now it looks more like a duck, but the fucking sweets are called "Conguitos"

As in Congo

As the only person on this site with roots in the Congo, we should move the serious aspects of this discussion to the General Forum.

Did somebody actually write the sentence "Is that racist towards white people?" in this thread...? Is that a whoosh?

The white one is an albino Congolese, who are usually murdered and eaten by witchdoctors in black magic rituals.

Tragic really.

Hopefully the FA remember to bring in a couple of translation experts to testify that conguito is definitely not a term of endearment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom