• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Best striker/forward you've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

My_Blood_Bleeds_Red

Well-Known
Something to take our minds off from constantly refreshing football sites/forums awaiting the latest transfer gossip.

I know these sort of threads have been done to death but instead of talking about the best striker in the history of the game, let's talk about the best striker WE HAVE SEEN (whether live or on tele) graced the beautiful game.

For e.g. some people are gonna mention Pele but in actual fact, they have never, if not hardly, seen him in action except for a few youtube clips, which are hardly sufficient to make a fair analysis/comment. Unless, of course, you were old enough to really have seen him play, then please do share your views on him cos we younger ones would love to know how you saw him play the game.

Anyway, you get my point.

And if possible, explain why you think he/they are the best.

The best strikers I've ever seen are in the following order :-

1) El Phenomenon...the one and only R9. Still by far, the best I've ever seen. He really was out of this world. There wasn't any goal that he couldn't score. One-on-ones, tap-ins, headers, left foot, right foot, 30 yard screamers, free kicks, everything else !
2) Van Basten
3) Romario....king of one-on-ones....rarely missed them
4) King Kenny
5) George Weah
6) Henry
7) Dennis Bergkamp - not really a striker, more of a forward but he did things with the ball (in his position) that I've still not seen anyone emulate yet
8) Jean Pierre-Papin...i remembered he would be the first striker I'd buy/choose during those early football manager games or any fantasy team

I want to put the fake Ronaldo because even though i dislike him, he deserves his place, but he already has enough attention so I'll discard him. Plus he's not really a striker.

Ronaldo and henry

Shearer probably deserves a mention. Scored all types of goals

How much longer is the real Ronaldo going to go for? I'd take Cristiano in his pomp over the old Ronaldo in his

Van Basten was my favourite player growing up and the reason I support the Dutch during international tournaments.
After he was forced to retire, nobody has come close to Ronaldo IMO.
A complete striker.

How much longer is the real Ronaldo going to go for? I'd take Cristiano in his pomp over the old Ronaldo in his
Yep.
It's actually a joke how underrated Cristiano is.
He's a phenomenal footballer.

Yeah but the goals that CR7 scored were not as out of this world as R9.

You could surround R9 with the entire team and he'd still dribble past everyone and score. That's how ridiculously skillful he was.

CR7 ? I've yet to see him do anything spectacular in all the Euros and WC. And if I may even dare say so, the big CL games too.

He's great against the weaker teams but when he's up against a great team, he always seems to flatter to deceive, bar the odd game or two.

Just idolised Ian rush when I was a kid watching him week in week out, he just stands out in my mind.

Thierry Henry was a joy to watch even more as he graced the premiership.

Ronaldo. I remember he'd just come back from months out at inter, his first game back and he was doing a stupid number of step-overs, his foot landed wrong and his knee crumpled again. I was slightly heart broken thinking it was the end of his career. Then he went to madrid and despite having no knees and being a little bit fat, he still took the absolute piss.

That is what should give you a hint. Cristiano is physically perfect, a supreme athlete, yet even in such great condition he doesn't come close to the injured and fat Ronaldo. As for the when Ronaldo was at Barcelona, forget about it he was close to being the best player to ever be.

I've never seen Cristiano do anything that Ronaldo hasn't done or couldn't do. Maybe header hang time, but that's about it. Ronaldo was pure football genius.

It's obviously Ronaldo but for pure entertainment and outrageousness Ronaldinho is tough to beat, he could give you girly giggles and a smile right across your face with some of the shit he could do with a football.

But it says something about Messi that as a teenager he was at least as effective on the pitch as Ronaldinho without all the outrageous stuff.

It's obviously Ronaldo but for pure entertainment and outrageousness Ronaldinho is tough to beat, he could give you girly giggles and a smile right across your face with some of the shit he could do with a football.

But it says something about Messi that as a teenager he was at least as effective on the pitch as Ronaldinho without all the outrageous stuff.

Messi was loads more fun when he was younger. Back then he'd dribble past entire defences. Now he just skulks around waiting for attacks he can get involved in

Messi was loads more fun when he was younger. Back then he'd dribble past entire defences. Now he just skulks around waiting for attacks he can get involved in

he was indeed

@1:43 is, how the fuck do you put a full size ball through a 6 year olds legs, that's skill

you are hurting my head with all this CR7 , R9 stuff .

Anyway saw Batistuta live in 1998 , he was a proper no.9 and finisher .

Zico

Romario

Van Basten

No order. I only went non Liverpool though and Zico might not even count. George Weah was boss as well.

papin used to score some great volleys , he was a master at letting it come across his body and smashing in it .

and romario was the master at those little dummies (goal 7 ) .

Goal 3 is a classic .

To give you an idea how poor this years Brazil team were. Just think they had:

Ronaldo
Rivaldo (remember him - true pinpoint accuracy when it came to shots - he was the human version of a footballing sniper)
Ronaldhinio
Romario

(now they have Fred, Hulk and Joe - what the fuck ?)

All of the R's above were brilliant - but the comments comparing CR7 to R9 are things I agree with, I mean how many times did CR7 play at Anfield and we all thought WOW what a fantastic goal ? - cannot remember once. When Italian football was on C4 - I remember after Ronaldo went to Inter - they were nearly on every week and I have no doubt because football fans in this country just wanted to see Ronaldo - he was fantastic for them in the first season he was there. As mentioned some of the stuff he did at Barca made you think of Bobbie's expression ' How How How ?' - he was that good and I think from then on the expectancy of the number 9 changed. The new number 9 had to have pace, trickery and be clinical in front of goal. The reason I liked Owen in his early days was because he had a bit of R9, so did Torres, and certainly Suarez.

My father use to call R9 the tiger, because when he was running with the ball at his feet towards a bunch of defenders you could visualize him being a fucking tiger racing towards its prey. Fucking genius.

The problem I have with both CR7 and Messi - is that they don't excite me like the way the aforementioned boys from Brazil did, yes they are clinical and they do have tricks and fantastic ability but they just don't have that unpredictable WOW factor. I know they will score in a game, but it never looks that special.

In terms of out and out strikers... Ronaldo is the best in my lifetime that I can properly remember. Then you have Henry for second I suppose. Then a few underneath like Shearer, Batistuta...Vieri was insane too, but it's Ronaldo.

What are we classing Messi as? Best player I've seen in my lifetime. Not a striker, but my second favourite (non-LFC) player ever, Zidane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom