• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Bobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
Roberto Firmino dazzles as Liverpool’s striker for all seasons
In his thrilling display during the win at Burnley, the Brazilian shows why he is so important to the league leaders’ title hopes
Sachin Nakrani at Turf Moor

Shortly after Liverpool’s victory against Burnley, Jürgen Klopp was asked to assess the contribution of Roberto Firmino on an evening when the forward scored one goal, assisted another and dazzled throughout. Klopp smiled, described Firmino as a “really good player with a work rate” and then, to stress his point, went back to a less happy moment in his team’s recent history.

Wednesday 1 May 2019, Barcelona 3 Liverpool 0: the first leg of a Champions League semi‑final the Merseysiders eventually turned around in miraculous fashion but a result which, at the time, felt like a crushing blow. There were shattered bodies and minds in the away dressing room at Camp Nou afterwards, with no one more done in than Georginio Wijnaldum, partly due to his having been deployed in Firmino’s position after the Brazilian had been ruled out of the starting XI with a groin injury. Klopp recalled: “Gini’s sitting in the dressing room saying [to Firmino]: ‘What the heck are you doing in that position?’ ‘It’s unbelievable. It’s so intense.’”

You perhaps have to be Firmino, or at least attempt to do what he does, to fully appreciate what he brings to a Liverpool side that, having won the Champions League, now appear fully intent on securing the Premier League title.

Watching on, it can be difficult to comprehend how Firmino maintains such high standards, and performs with such joyous abandon, in a role that requires him to never stop moving, never stop running, link midfield to attack and put the ball in the back of the net. Little wonder Wijnaldum found it tough going and after Firmino’s display here it felt natural to wonder if there is another forward in world football quite like him.

Klopp insisted there are “one or two others” before going on to suggest that, well, maybe there are not. “Being skilled like Bobby is one thing, mixing it up with the attitude he puts in, that’s unbelievable and I’m not sure about that [in other players],” he said. “Skills wise, being there, passing in between, for sure there are some players. But the mix – wow, it’s exceptional.”

Firmino has been exceptional since the start of the season, something of a surprise given he returned late to preseason having been part of Brazil’s triumphant Copa America campaign. Against Burnley, having set up Sadio Mané for Liverpool’s second goal following on from Chris Wood’s freakish own goal, he sealed a fourth successive win for the leaders with a thumping strike on 80 minutes that also made him the first Brazilian to score 50 Premier League goals.

It was a landmark moment that came at the end of an altered Firmino performance, given the requirement for him not to press Burnley’s defence but rather sit deeper and work off second balls. He did it brilliantly.

Firmino may be not only the most unique forward around at the moment but also, perhaps, in Liverpool’s history. Certainly it is hard to think of many others in red who have combined such selfless hard work with high levels of tactical maturity, technical ability and ruthlessness.

One name does spring to mind – Kenny Dalglish, and while it would be absurd to suggest Firmino ranks anywhere near the man they call “the King” around Anfield there is something Dalglish-esque about the way he operates in this Liverpool side. “People will say there are better strikers, but what he does is so important to our team,” said Andrew Robertson. “He’s our first line of defence, he nicks the ball in midfield and then he goes up the park and scores goals and makes assists. We’d be lost without him. He’s world class.”

Others impressed for Liverpool on a day when they not only maintained a two point advantage over Manchester City going into the international break but also set a club record of 13 successive top-flight wins. Virgil van Dijk was yet again imperious in defence while Mané and Mohamed Salah again played their parts in a slick and swaggering front three, albeit the latter’s refusal to pass to the former did lead to a rather eye-grabbing tantrum by Mané after being substituted late on.

Mané eventually calmed down, and who was it that took it on himself to provide the Senegalese with a pat on the back and some soothing words? Firmino. He really can, and does, do everything.

So he's saying he's a right Bobby Dazzler then?

We knew that already.

In all seriousness though, he's our most important player in many ways, our attack just doesn't seem to work properly without him, & he looks almost impossible to replace in any like for like manner.

I often wonder if one of the mythical players on our long term transfer shortlist is a player Klopp believes he can mould into the same role, & who that player would be.

I suspect the plan in Bobby's long term absence would be to switch the system up a bit, for example using Timo Werner as one of the front three means we have all three with electric pace & strength, so we could have the midfield concentrate on more direct through balls to exploit it whilst sides try to deal with the full back threat getting behind plus three very pacy players running at them.

So he's saying he's a right Bobby Dazzler then?

We knew that already.

In all seriousness though, he's our most important player in many ways, our attack just doesn't seem to work properly without him, & he looks almost impossible to replace in any like for like manner.

I often wonder if one of the mythical players on our long term transfer shortlist is a player Klopp believes he can mould into the same role, & who that player would be.

I suspect the plan in Bobby's long term absence would be to switch the system up a bit, for example using Timo Werner as one of the front three means we have all three with electric pace & strength, so we could have the midfield concentrate on more direct through balls to exploit it whilst sides try to deal with the full back threat getting behind plus three very pacy players running at them.
Even with Timo Werner, he's not a direct replacement for Firmino. He's more comfortable cutting in from the wing like Salah

Even with Timo Werner, he's not a direct replacement for Firmino. He's more comfortable cutting in from the wing like Salah
Jon was pretty clear that him coming into the team would move Bobby's responsibilities to the midfield behind them.

Who was it that once said we will never win anything with Firmino as the striker because he doesn't score enough goals ? Or something like that

Bobby's obvious contributions to the team reinforces the fact that even the best 'experts' on football forums are at best keyboard warriors and really know very little what goes on behind closed doors, despite all our lengthy posts and chalkboard analysis and what not.

Jon was pretty clear that him coming into the team would move Bobby's responsibilities to the midfield behind them.
And how would that facilitate Salah and Mane? Check out the video with Mourinho that I posted in the other games thread. We shouldn't be moving Firmino anywhere.

Who was it that once said we will never win anything with Firmino as the striker because he doesn't score enough goals ? Or something like that

Bobby's obvious contributions to the team reinforces the fact that even the best 'experts' on football forums are at best keyboard warriors and really know very little what goes on behind closed doors, despite all our lengthy posts and chalkboard analysis and what not.

It was me. Although it was more about the fact that you need a reliable consistent goalscorer to challenge and win top trophies, and luckily we signed Salah and Mane, without whom we'd win fuck all.

He's been great so far this season, and was also brilliant the season before last, but I don't think he was that amazing last year.

And how would that facilitate Salah and Mane? Check out the video with Mourinho that I posted in the other games thread. We shouldn't be moving Firmino anywhere.
The question was what do we do if Firmino isn't avaliable, not should we replace / move him.

The question was what do we do if Firmino isn't avaliable, not should we replace / move him.

Usually I'd be very much in favour of not trying to replace "like for like", especially when you're talking about a player as unique and talented and brilliant as say, Gerrard or Suarez. How can you find a player like that? They'd just be a worse version.

However, the system we play does rather hinge on having that sort of striker, so maybe we do need to try and find another Firmino type-player. I dunno, it's tricky.

But it would be stupid to say it's impossible.

It was me. Although it was more about the fact that you need a reliable consistent goalscorer to challenge and win top trophies, and luckily we signed Salah and Mane, without whom we'd win fuck all.

He's been great so far this season, and was also brilliant the season before last, but I don't think he was that amazing last year.

I knew it was you from the beginning.

Brendan, I just ran your username for Firmino posts and the following jumped out. I remember saying to you from the get go that your stance on Firmino was bizarre as he was clearly a tremendous footballer. It was like you doubled down in the hope that he was a dude.

Awful from the useless Firmino

Come on Firmino, 10 minutes to do something good, you useless flabby fucking melt

Firmino off. No goals since August. Two League goals all season. Hahahahaha
And given that Salah *is* our top scorer, what's that cunt Firmino's excuse? Two fucking goals in 8 games. But it's not a debate any more, as everyone now agrees about the striking situation.

On the other hand, keeping faith with the likes of Lovren, Mignolet, Firmino et al would seem to be an act of insanity.

Salah was the shining light in the attack, but sadly Coutinho was mediocre and we all know Firmino isn't good enough.

Firmino (4) it's really strange watching him play up front for Liverpool. It's almost like I'm in a bad dream, and any time soon I'm going to wake up and instead of watching a slow, non-scoring flabby melt lumber around the pitch, Liverpool will actually have a brilliant striker again

I'm very confused by this Firmino kerfuffle. Is there some kind of cognitive dissonance going on?

It's odd that I seem to come down on the "wrong side" of many "Liverpool Cult Hero" types, those classic underdog players that are shit for ages and then start becoming popular with the fans. Lucas was another one. Firmino another.

I think Mane could play that role really well if he needed to.

Hmm, maybe. He's dead short, but then Firmino isn't exactly a giant.

Not sure Mane's short passing, calmness and vision is quite the same though, even if he is a better finisher

Brendan, I just ran your username for Firmino posts and the following jumped out. I remember saying to you from the get go that your stance on Firmino was bizarre as he was clearly a tremendous footballer. It was like you doubled down in the hope that he was a dude.

Awful from the useless Firmino

Come on Firmino, 10 minutes to do something good, you useless flabby fucking melt

Firmino off. No goals since August. Two League goals all season. Hahahahaha
And given that Salah *is* our top scorer, what's that cunt Firmino's excuse? Two fucking goals in 8 games. But it's not a debate any more, as everyone now agrees about the striking situation.

On the other hand, keeping faith with the likes of Lovren, Mignolet, Firmino et al would seem to be an act of insanity.

Salah was the shining light in the attack, but sadly Coutinho was mediocre and we all know Firmino isn't good enough.

Firmino (4) it's really strange watching him play up front for Liverpool. It's almost like I'm in a bad dream, and any time soon I'm going to wake up and instead of watching a slow, non-scoring flabby melt lumber around the pitch, Liverpool will actually have a brilliant striker again

I'm very confused by this Firmino kerfuffle. Is there some kind of cognitive dissonance going on?

It's odd that I seem to come down on the "wrong side" of many "Liverpool Cult Hero" types, those classic underdog players that are shit for ages and then start becoming popular with the fans. Lucas was another one. Firmino another.

Classic. But then, I was reacting to what I saw and what was delivered on those occasions. I'm very fair.

Hmm, maybe. He's dead short, but then Firmino isn't exactly a giant.

Not sure Mane's short passing, calmness and vision is quite the same though, even if he is a better finisher

He's very good in the air though, and ridiculously good (and underrated imo) at winning the ball back and then playing a quick pass.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to see him there, just think he'd manage a better job at it than most.

He wasn’t amazing last year and had some very average spells. He’s started very well this year, let’s hope it continues while not being silly enough to believe a dip isn’t a strong possibility.

I don't think the Henderson Debate will ever be conclusively won or lost.
Probably.
Though my comment was aimed at @Woland who I always recall from a drinkies in the King Harry, shouting at myself and Jon Fox like a head master to naughty schoolboys" he's shite, he's shite, he's shite.

Apart from his obvious skills the thing I like about Bobby is that he always looks like he really enjoys playing football. It surely has to be infectious with his teammates as well.

Klopp and Firmino in the same dressing room constantly smiling - the glare from those teeth must be blinding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom