• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Boxing please

[quote author=Asim link=topic=35435.msg1105671#msg1105671 date=1274039074]
Khans brother will be going to the olympics with the Pakistan team.
[/quote]

why?

I expect it's because he's well in touch with his roots and feels a strong sense of national pride.

Or because the British team wouldn't have him.

What happened with Amir though? From memory he only went with Britain at the last minute over Pakistan but I can't remember why. Looked on the internet but can only find stuff about his brother.

It's surprising that Haroon Khan couldn't get into the British team, by all accounts he's the more naturally talented of the two.

The papers do it quite a bit too, Foxy, so you're in good company. You'd think the media would have got a bit better at foreign names by now, what with so many foreign players over here playing the national sport (and British sport in general being so multicultural anyhoo).

Cowboys stadium have set aside 2 november dates for manny and an opponent tbc. Depends on mayweather manning up I guess.

Oh, and calzaghe is a fool if he fights again. What's the point?

Yes I know... Money.

It's the week before.

Mind you, this has all come out of nowhere and I wouldn't be surprised if neither date works out in the end.

I REALLY hope this happens, so Haye can put Harrison out to pasture.

David Haye’s manager confirms bout with Audley Harrison is possibility
Ron Lewis

The prospect of an all-British world heavyweight title bout between David Haye and Audley Harrison moved a step closer yesterday when Harrison, the 2000 Olympic super-heavyweight champion, gave up his European title.

Adam Booth, Haye’s manager, said that Harrison was one of six options for the WBA champion’s second defence, due to be in late October or November, with a unification match against Wladimir or Vitali Klitschko still the top priority.

But with Harrison’s decision to give up the title he won with a last-round knockout of Michael Sprott in April, rather than defend it against Alexander Dimitrenko, a Ukrainian, it would seem that he is confident that a worldtitle shot against Haye, or one of the Klitschkos, is imminent.

The Boxing Writers’ Club held a lunch for Haye in London yesterday, although the guest of honour was absent because his wife, Natasha, who recently gave birth to the couple’s second child, was ill. Instead, it was up to Booth to speak on Haye’s behalf.

Booth said that Harrison was among a list of options that also included the Klitschkos, Nikolay Valuev, from whom he won the WBA title last year, and Tomasz Adamek, the former WBC light-heavyweight and IBF cruiserweight champion from Poland.

“As a boxing fan, I hate the fight, because Audley has not boxed anyone in the top 20, but I know that maybe David didn’t deserve a shot at Valuev,†Booth said. “Within Britain it will be a fight that people would love to see, but [Haye] will receive a lot of criticism worldwide. He will be called a coward for not facing the Klitschkos and his credibility will be shot to pieces.

“Audley has to believe he has more chance of beating David than he does Wladimir or Vitali. I don’t think he lasts four rounds with any of them, but with David he has got to have that belief that he finds his b*****ks and David’s chin at the same time.â€

Haye is also following the lead of Floyd Mayweather Jr by insisting that random blood testing for drugs will be carried out for all his bouts. A bout between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao collapsed over Mayweather’s insistence on Olympic-style testing and Booth said that stand inspired Haye. “David wants to use his position t help clean up the sport,†Booth said.

I would be embarrassed for Haye if he fought Harrison, Harrison's a joke. Haye needs to get on with it and just fight one of the Klitschko brothers cos at the moment he looks like he's ducking them.

If Haye has to schedule another fight in before he can fight a Klitschko, then the Harrison option might be attractive as domestically there will be people lining up to buy tickets to see Audley beaten into straw-feedingdom.

You'd have to have been living on Planet Zog not to fancy Haye for such a fight BUT, at the risk of being flamed for this, I'm going to suggest there's a slight risk involved for him. Harrison is Pants with a capital P, but he has a puncher's chance.

Any heavyweight has a puncher's chance, I don't think it's a reason to particularly fear Harrison. It's just the ONLY reason to fear Harrison. They way he looks like a fucked up clockwork toy when he's put on the backfoot will suit Haye though.

Tonight - the Magnificent Seven

£14.95

Is anyone actually going to pay for this?? I sure as hell aint.

I'm sure it will be a good show but PPV?? You're having a fucking laugh. Especially at 15 quid

If I cant get it gratis I'm just gonna watch the Cleverly fight & the Maccarenili fights on French tv, they're the two biggest fights anyway.

Frenkel dropped him with a savage left in the seventh. Sent his head rolling. Maccarinelli got up on eight but his legs were jelly. He actually stumbled. Then the ref let it continue, even though he was effectively defenceless. Frenkel stepped up to the plate and clouted him out of the park. Maccarinelli was clean out. On the floor a good five minutes, oxygen mask, the whole thing.

The ref was incompetent on two levels - the fight was obviously over after the knockdown, and anything after that was just violence. Secondly, as a ref you should know the territory. Maccarinelli has been badly stopped before more than once, and he should have had that in mind.

[quote author=MC Golgotha link=topic=35435.msg1178235#msg1178235 date=1284975159]

Frenkel dropped him with a savage left in the seventh. Sent his head rolling. Maccarinelli got up on eight but his legs were jelly. He actually stumbled. Then the ref let it continue, even though he was effectively defenceless. Frenkel stepped up to the plate and clouted him out of the park. Maccarinelli was clean out. On the floor a good five minutes, oxygen mask, the whole thing.

The ref was incompetent on two levels - the fight was obviously over after the knockdown, and anything after that was just violence. Secondly, as a ref you should know the territory. Maccarinelli has been badly stopped before more than once, and he should have had that in mind.
[/quote]

It was shocking. He was out on his feet & couldn't keep his hands up.

Back
Top Bottom