• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Boxing please

Agree. I had an intense dislike of watching Lennox Lewis too, for similar reasons.

I understand & respect their talents & boxing ability, but I just don't find it enjoyable viewing at all.

Fury's style is a step up from the klitschko model of basically boxing by numbers, but not much of a step up, it's a very similar plan.

Yeah, I like boxing, but I'm no expert and if I'm comparing bouts to the stuff I watched and adored as a kid (Hagler, Hearns etc) then it's not really fair or reasonable.

And I haven't watched loads of fights in full because of the absurd pay per view costs and (mainly) the fact that they're on at 4am or whatever...although I did get up and watch this one with Finn.

I just get the feeling with Fury that there's a bit of cult of personality involved in his popularity, which is fine and all part of the sport, but it's not exactly epoch-defining classic entertainment, because he just spoils and holds and there's no fireworks

He's fucking funny though

What's still great about boxing is the violence, blood, skill and danger, but also that it boils the piss of exactly the sort of people I don't like; pearl-clutching divvies who don't like working class sport or the people involved in it.

Which the aforementioned BBC comments thread illustrated very clearly.

Probably why I loved the surly, dead-eyed Hearns, whose nickname seemed rather apposite, given if he wasn't a boxer, he possibly would be killing people for money

I'd never seen anything like him, and it was boss

[QUOTE="manwithnoname, post: 1919971, Probably why I loved the surly, dead-eyed Hearns, whose nickname seemed rather apposite, given if he wasn't a boxer, he possibly would be killing people for money
[/QUOTE]
That and the fact that he was a part time policeman

Was he?! That's even better. Imagine being arrested by Tommy Hearns.

Surprised Detroit had such high crime rates. Maybe people were trying to get arrested just to meet him

A 6 foot 9 inch guy that can move and power jab like Fury does would be a match for any boxer in any era.
That's the way I see it too, the guy's a man mountain and would beat the shit out of most people set in front of him.

Tyson Fury's development has been incredible and he's now a fearsome prospect for sure. That said, I'm less convinced than some of you folks that he's now up there in the All-Time Great stakes, and the reason for my hesitation is that competition in previous years was massively hotter than it is now, so that the greats of previous eras had a much steeper hill to climb to get to the top and then to stay there. Fury's never had to face anyone with the mobility (and incredible staying power) of an Ali or the sheer sustained ferocity of a Foreman or Joe Frazier at their peak.

Let me be clear - I'm not saying for definite that Fury doesn't belong in that kind of company. I'm not persuaded by the available evidence that he does though.

As Fury's said himself, he only switched style under Sugar Hill for about 6-9 months, and everyone could see the immediate difference it has made. I was surprised too as I didn't expect Fury to pack such power in his punches. You could see Wilder was surprised too. I've always thought he had pillow-fists to be honest. But let's not take away what he's got - there's no denying he's got slick boxing skills. Sure, his clumsy-looking physique doesn't always inspire confidence.

But let's have a closer look just for fun. Assuming everyone's in peak form....

Ali vs Fury ?
Foreman vs Fury ?
Frazier vs Fury ?
Tyson vs Fury ?

Yeah you're kind of right. Not a single fight above, would i place my bets confidently on Fury. And one thing's very sure - a peak, crazy Tyson would knock Fury out. No doubt about it.

A peak Tyson is one of the most ferocious sights you could see. He’d do them all in my opinion.

A peak Tyson is one of the most ferocious sights you could see. He’d do them all in my opinion.

Though people saw Foreman in exactly the same way as a ferocious and frightening force of nature (in a vastly superior heavyweight division) and then an aged, broken and done Ali beat him. A clever boxer with great tactics can nullify even extraordinary power and ferocity.

Surely Ali wasn't THAT far gone when he beat Foreman. Such a shell of a fighter could never have taken the extraordinary punishment Ali shipped that night in order to make rope-a-dope work.

I agree with your basic point though. Ali would have beaten Tyson because of it IMO. Tyson relied heavily on overawing opponents before the fight even started, and when he failed to do that he suffered for it (look at the way Holyfield broke his heart), so IMO Frazier and Foreman - at their best anyway - would also have beaten him, and may well not have been the only ones.

I'm hoping the following happens now:

Wilder decides he'd rather not have blood coming from his ears again and gives the rematch he's contractually entitled to, the swerve.
Pulev who's under the same management as Fury, gets given a few quid and is told to step out of the AJ fight.
Whyte who's mandatory gets told to shut up about his shot at the WBC
Fury fights AJ in the summer
Fury wins and retires, vacates the belts
Usyk comes in, beats AJ, retires him, beats everyone, unifies the belts

Surely Ali wasn't THAT far gone when he beat Foreman. Such a shell of a fighter could never have taken the extraordinary punishment Ali shipped that night in order to make rope-a-dope work.

I agree with your basic point though. Ali would have beaten Tyson because of it IMO. Tyson relied heavily on overawing opponents before the fight even started, and when he failed to do that he suffered for it (look at the way Holyfield broke his heart), so IMO Frazier and Foreman - at their best anyway - would also have beaten him, and may well not have been the only ones.
He obviously wasn't that done, but loads of people at the time were begging Ali not to take the fight for fear that Foreman would actually kill him!

OffensiveSillyDesertpupfish-size_restricted.gif

KlutzyCapitalIrishsetter-size_restricted.gif

DifferentSpiffyAmericanwirehair-size_restricted.gif

LightClassicAmericanbulldog-size_restricted.gif

PlumpTidyGemsbok-size_restricted.gif

ArtisticBlackGalapagosdove-size_restricted.gif

[article]
Deontay Wilder has said the elaborate outfit he wore on his ring walk weighed 40 pounds and was the key reason for his defeat to Tyson Fury. The beaten former champion added that he plans to trigger a clause in his contract for a second rematch.

Wilder said the outfit, worn to represent Black History Month, weighed him down so much that he didn’t have the legs to withstand Fury’s early assault in their Las Vegas heavyweight title fight on Saturday.

“He didn’t hurt me at all, but the simple fact is my uniform was way too heavy for me,” Wilder told Yahoo Sports. “I didn’t have no legs from the beginning of the fight. In the third round, my legs were just shot all the way through. But I’m a warrior and people know that I’m a warrior.”

“A lot of people were telling me: ‘it looked like something was wrong with you.’ Something was, but when you’re in the ring you have to bluff a lot of things. I tried my best to do so. I knew I didn’t have the legs because of my uniform,” Wilder said.

The 34-year-old added that he tried the costume on for the first time on the night before the much-anticipated rematch. “It weighed 40 pounds with the helmet and all the batteries. I wanted my tribute to be great for Black History Month … and I guess I put that before anything.”

Wilder has 30 days to officially exercise his option for a third fight, with a 60-40 purse split in Fury’s favour. After his win on Saturday, Fury said he was “almost sure” there would be another rematch – potentially at the city’s 72,000-capacity Allegiant Stadium, soon to be home to the NFL’s Las Vegas Raiders.

The former WBC world heavyweight champion was knocked down twice by Fury before his corner stopped the fight in the seventh round. It was his first loss in 44 fights – and Wilder fiercely criticised his assistant trainer, Mark Breland, for throwing in the towel.

“We had many discussions for years about this situation and for him to still do it after Jay [Deas, Wilder’s main trainer] told him not to, it really hurt me,” Wilder told AP. “Then I heard he was influenced by another fighter in the audience and it makes a lot of conspiracy theories in your head. It didn’t make sense.”

Wilder also revealed he had received an outpouring of love after the first defeat of his 12-year professional career – but remained frustrated he wasn’t allowed to fight on. “I’m going out on my shield,” he said. “If I say I’m willing to kill a man in the ring, I’m willing to abide by that same principle as a warrior – to die in the ring.”

[/article]

Though people saw Foreman in exactly the same way as a ferocious and frightening force of nature (in a vastly superior heavyweight division) and then an aged, broken and done Ali beat him. A clever boxer with great tactics can nullify even extraordinary power and ferocity.

The rumble in the jungle.

Arguably and probably the greatest fight of all time.

In the heavyweight division, quite possibly, yes. The greatest fight I've seen so far (though one of the fighters paid a dreadful price for it) was Nigel Benn getting up off the floor to club Gerald McLellan to defeat at super-middle in 1995,

Last edited:
In the heavyweight division, quite possibly, yes. The greatest fight I've seen so far (though one of the fighters paid a dreadful price for it) was Nigel Benn getting up off the floor to club Gerald McLellan to defeat at super-middle in 1995,
Yes, I agree. That fight was extraordinary, though obviously ended tragically (no matter how horrible a bellend McLellan was).

What an absolute bellend, claiming a 40lb outfit fucked his fight as it was too heavy to wear for a couple of minutes. If you're an alleged professional athlete and you can't carry 15-20kg for a couple of minutes, then there's something wrong with you. He tried on his stupid costume prior to his walk out, he was fully aware of how much it weighed (fuck all). If he hadn't have had his arse handed to him and landed his buster douglas special, then he'd have been claiming it was the best outfit ever. He's just shit.

Sounds like he's going to take up Fury on the rematch though and see if he can get some more blood leaking out of his ears and get put on his arse from body shots.

What an absolute bellend, claiming a 40lb outfit fucked his fight as it was too heavy to wear for a couple of minutes. If you're an alleged professional athlete and you can't carry 15-20kg for a couple of minutes, then there's something wrong with you. He tried on his stupid costume prior to his walk out, he was fully aware of how much it weighed (fuck all). If he hadn't have had his arse handed to him and landed his buster douglas special, then he'd have been claiming it was the best outfit ever. He's just shit.

Sounds like he's going to take up Fury on the rematch though and see if he can get some more blood leaking out of his ears and get put on his arse from body shots.

Guess he wouldn't have made it as a medieval knight then.

You see that Fury thanked Kinahan the Irish gun/drug runner for sorting it first and foremost for him? Wtf that all about

Is Kinahan's lot a proper shower of cunts over there? Not sure how MTK has managed to weasel itself in the middle of the biggest boxing match out there, they've only really been involved in tiny stuff so far.

Back
Top Bottom