• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Brendan Rodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyypia was not a first choice player after 2006 so Wizardry is spouting bollocks about him being the key.

Agreed! This is exactly point 1 in my opinion.

Lovren is a good, old fashioned centre back - uncompromising in the tackle, rarely gets bullied, solid in the air. Skrtel is fast, committed and not bad in the air. I don't see either of them reading the game at all let alone anywhere near the standard that Sami, Henchoz or even Carra would regularly display.

None of our defenders now read the game like that. I'm not saying that we'll win the title if Sami comes back or if Henchoz comes back. But just as someone says we wouldn't get this exposed under Rafa or GH there is no way we'd look this exposed with those defenders reading what's happening in front of them.

The pair of them can't go against an entire opposition attack Wiz.
Again, it's something that never happened under the defensive minded regimes in the past.
Hyppia covering for Riise might be a fair point if the right back (Finnan or Babel) and defensive midfielder (Didi) didn't tuck in and take their positions to cover for Sami, which is what they did, and what our players currently don't do.
We are shit defensively as a team.

I stand by the point about Sami's covering. Didi rarely, and Finnan or Babbel never, slotted into Sami's left-sided CB slot when he moved out wide to block the gaps JAR often left.

Rodgers is starting to become more honest and critical of individuals, which is a sign some pressure is getting to him. I hope he gets his shit together and fast.

But he sure made a difference once he got back into the team ahead of Pellegrino, who was a tragic mistake.

After Sami lost his place at the end of 05/06 we managed to maintain a perfectly good defence until Rafa left, with a combination of Carra, Agger, Skrtel and increasingly sparingly, Hyppia himself. In fact I think in the first 3 of those 4 seasons to 2010 we actually conceded fewer than in any of Hyypia's seasons under Houllier.

So this talk about everything being due to Sami is really pretty extravagant bullshit.

Hyypia was not a first choice player after 2006 so Wizardry is spouting bollocks about him being the key.

Good one.

Utter bollocks but I'm sure you probably confused a few posters who think you must know what you're talking about.

Just a cursory glance would tell even a below average observer that Hyypia played 44 games in the 07-08 season which I think came after 2006.

In that season only 2 defenders played more games than him - Carragher and Reina. That was probably the start of Reina's downfall I guess - him being asked to partner Carra in the backline while Sami dropped from first choice. :rolleyes:

I'm with Peter on this. Mainly because wizardry likes Johnson, so he clearly knows nothing about defenders

I'm with Peter on this. Mainly because wizardry likes Johnson, so he clearly knows nothing about defenders

Wizardry probably talks more nonsense than anyone else on this site, and seems to think he's one of the cleverest. So best ignored all in all.

I stand by the point about Sami's covering. Didi rarely, and Finnan or Babbel never, slotted into Sami's left-sided CB slot when he moved out wide to block the gaps JAR often left.

Don't be silly JJ, that's the job of his CB partner. Finnan, or whoever the right back is, would then tuck inside to cover for the CB that's covering Hyppia's position, while Didi, or Alonso, would protect the back line that's now got one less player by making sure the midfielder making a late run inside is marked, or at least not totally free.

There is and I agree a striker and a goalie could go a long way to addressing our issues but he has already bought a striker and a goalie so why will this time be different?

We are in his third season and we look no better than his first, defensively we are awful even after spending 63 million on defensive players...

We lost Luis massive massive loss but did nothing to mitigate it, balotelli was never going to fill the void.

My concerns aren't knee jerk they are valid concerns about his ability to get us out of the mire, I hope the sturridge coming back is the cure, it maybe for us scoring but it won't be for the defence.

Saying we look no better than the first is a bit like saying, "if you ignore last season where we scored 100+ goals and challenged for the title, we look no better than the first". We lost Suarez and then we lost Sturridge to injury. I agree there are concerns in the team that haven't been solved, but we're miles better off than we were two years ago, he's turned it around in no time.

It amazed me that people were prepared to give other managers longer, some into their 6th/7th year to get it right, but the questions have already started being asked of a manager that missed the title by a hair's breath 5 months ago. Like I said, it's ridiculous. Valid concerns are fine, but you're not the first poster this week to say if he doesn't turn it around soon we'll be looking elsewhere. It's short-termist, knee jerk junk.

I dont want him to be sacked. Thats insane and totally the wrong direction to head in.
But, he faces one of his biggest challenges yet.

The tactics arent working and we need to get back on track. How the fuck does he solve it?
Coming 2nd syndrome is in full effect. Both in terms of transfers and results.

Maybe he couldn't play his preferred way with Suarez in the team. But now he can, and it's not working yet.

Stubborn Manager Syndrome.

Rafa seems to have left some of the bacteria in the boot room.

Rodgers is starting to become more honest and critical of individuals, which is a sign some pressure is getting to him. I hope he gets his shit together and fast.
Honestly he should take a long look in the mirror before blaming the players.

The players are failing the manager right now.
Wrong. The manager has a decent squad but insists on playing Gerrard and on playing a formation that suited Suarez. But the formation doesn't suit our current team. And Rodgers kees playing it like its going to change. It won't until he realizes that it's him and not the players.

Mr Rodgers needs to sit Steven Gerrard the fuck down.
Lampard left Chelsea because he was playing 20 mins here or there. Gerrard wont even get hauled off when we are winning or losing.
Its beyond a joke.
He also needs to stop fucking around with the back 4 and sign a decent keeper.
And yet you just liked the post above that says that the players are failing the manager?

I dont want him to be sacked. Thats insane and totally the wrong direction to head in.
But, he faces one of his biggest challenges yet.

The tactics arent working and we need to get back on track. How the fuck does he solve it?
Coming 2nd syndrome is in full effect. Both in terms of transfers and results.
He knows what the solution is, problem is that he's knowingly forcing something that clearly isn't working.

Wrong. The manager has a decent squad but insists on playing Gerrard and on playing a formation that suited Suarez. But the formation doesn't suit our current team. And Rodgers kees playing it like its going to change. It won't until he realizes that it's him and not the players.
Every game, every single fucking game, we're seeing individual players making horrific unforced errors either in their positioning or distribution. It's basic stuff and it's happening several times in every game. If you fuck up as often as we do you're going to get punished. I genuinely feel for Rodgers because he must be tearing his hair out watching the plethora of fuck ups every game.

Every game, every single fucking game, we're seeing individual players making horrific unforced errors either in their positioning or distribution. It's basic stuff and it's happening several times in every game. If you fuck up as often as we do you're going to get punished. I genuinely feel for Rodgers because he must be tearing his hair out watching the plethora of fuck ups every game.

I don't feel for Rodgers at all. I've always been of the opinion that the buck stops with the manager and in this case, I don't see any reason why Rodgers shouldn't be taking the heat for what's been going on so far this season.

He's had a couple seasons at the club, bought a lot of players and spent a lot of money. This is his team, his system and his tactics. If there are players letting the side down regularly, then someone has a responsibility to either ensure that stops happening or that they no longer play. And that's before you get to the awkward questions around whether they should be here in the first place.

That's the first point that needs making. The second is that it's not just one or two players making mistakes, it's all of them. Every single game. That hints at a wider problem and when there is a problem that goes beyond individual players.... who else are we supposed to look at for a solution besides the manager?

I don't feel for Rodgers at all. I've always been of the opinion that the buck stops with the manager and in this case, I don't see any reason why Rodgers shouldn't be taking the heat for what's been going on so far this season.

He's had a couple seasons at the club, bought a lot of players and spent a lot of money. This is his team, his system and his tactics. If there are players letting the side down regularly, then someone has a responsibility to either ensure that stops happening or that they no longer play. And that's before you get to the awkward questions around whether they should be here in the first place.

That's the first point that needs making. The second is that it's not just one or two players making mistakes, it's all of them. Every single game. That hints at a wider problem and when there is a problem that goes beyond individual players.... who else are we supposed to look at for a solution besides the manager?
I didn't suggest it's one or two players...I agree with you it's all of them and yes there comes a point when the manager has to be held accountable for that but right now, the players are letting the manager, the club, the fans and each other down. I don't know if they've become complacent or what but the errors we're seeing in every game are down to the players.

What's really pissed me off is Rodgers saying that we were always going to be set back by the number of players we HAD to sign this summer and so they'll take time to integrate, as though it needed 1 step backwards to take 2 forwards.

Yes, our squad was thin but If we'd done what Chelsea or United have done in the summer and brought in a couple of top proven quality players, we'd be far better off. It's ridiculous to suggest we had to go backwards.

We can't compete with Chelsea's money or location. We're ahead of United, in the Champions League, in the semi finals of the Carling Cup and have lost our best former player and are without our top striker, we're 7th (and one win off cunting 3rd), that was our first loss in the league since mid September and there are 28 fucking games left to play. Bit early to panic?

Stop with the negativity.

That's some blind optimism there given what's being served up on the pitch. We've got beat by West Ham, Newcastle, scraped a draw with Hull and got an absolute lesson in our own backyard. And we've spent over £100m to get to this stage with none of those signings looking anything like improving us.

I pray something clicks into place but unless our performances dramatically improve and we start actually creating some chances, it's hard to see where it's coming from.

We can't compete with Chelsea's money or location. We're ahead of United, in the Champions League, in the semi finals of the Carling Cup and have lost our best former player and are without our top striker, we're 7th (and one win off cunting 3rd), that was our first loss in the league since mid September and there are 28 fucking games left to play. Bit early to panic?

Stop with the negativity.

Don't want to cut straws Jexy, but a draw will put utd ahead of us tomorrow, CL we are hanging on by a thread and we are in the quarterfinal of the League Cup.

I admire your optimism though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom