1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
    Dismiss Notice
Why Not Register?

It only takes a few minutes to register on SixCrazyMinutes

Click Here

Brew's ready?

Discussion in 'The Football Forum' started by rurikbird, Jul 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

So we are basically self sustainable in generating funds from the sale of potentially good players for overinflated fees to mid-table Premiership sides.

If anyone thinks that's going to happen forever or is in itself sustainable, they're burying their heads in the sand. How long before players like Ibe and Solanke start to become warning signs for these sort of deals? If Brewster is a success then great, if he's in the Championship in a year or two then yeah.. I don't think there will be a continuing trend of selling Liverpool reserves for £20m-£30 to your Aston Villa's and Bournemouth's.

2. KopRed

KopRed Very Active Member

I think even in a normal situation, say a world without Covid, it is hard to reject £25m for a relatively unproven talent.

3. mark1975

mark1975 Moderator Moderator

Of course it is, but it also shows how fucked the market is when you can buy a World Class player for £25m, funded by selling a reserve for £25m.

4. Squiggles

Squiggles Very Well-Known Member

We can't brush aside COVID that easily, TBH. FIFA is reporting the game has already lost £11 billion to COVID. Our net spend is a source of frustration through FSG's tenure, but it's difficult to criticize the approach when football finances are in a complete state of flux. Winning the league doesn't bring in much difference in terms of prize money to the top four, we crashed out early of the CL, shirt sales are down on last year, it's possible they'll be no fans all season.

I was disappointed we didn't invest last year, but this year I get it. Being able to trade Brewster for Thiago is simply ridiculous. in terms of the player profile.

juniormember and refugee like this.
  5. rurikbird

rurikbird Part of the Furniture Honorary Member

With a buy-back clause too.

6. jan

jan Well-Known Member

Jordon Ibe is better anyway

7. KopRed

KopRed Very Active Member

Yep, no complaints there. If we manage to shift Origi, Wilson, Lovren, Brewster and bring in Tsimikas, Thiago and Sarr at a nett flat in transfer fees, we will be laughing.

8. Squiggles

Squiggles Very Well-Known Member

Grujic, too. That's a safe 15m plus.

9. peterhague

peterhague Very Well-Known Member

Selling top young players is such a classic sign of a healthy, ambitious club.

I don't know why we never thought of this before!

JurgenKlopp likes this.
  10. Mamma Mia

Mamma Mia Very Well-Known Member

Keep your ticket, go to the games, leave the forum and the Internet, and you will have another great season of joy.

But you already know this deep down. Not sure why you're letting bullshit on the Internet get you down. These are good times.

rurikbird likes this.
  11. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

Its quite normal in other leagues for top teams to do that with a buy back clause.

12. peterhague

peterhague Very Well-Known Member

He's never coming back you dope.

13. King Binny

King Binny Very Well-Known Honorary Member

If there's a buyback clause, I actually think it's a good deal.

• We get guaranteed amount of money for an unproven (no doubt talented) player.
    • We will eventually need to pay more if we were to bring him back but it's similar to paying the other club for developing him (without us having to pay his wages)
    • Even if we don't re-sign him to play for us, we can do so to make a profit so long as he developed as a player (e.g. Morata was sold to Juve for €20m, bought back for €30m and sold to Chelsea for €60m; Atletico cancelled Southampton's option to buy to sell him to Tottenham for a higher fee) - not forgetting the premium on English players. --> while others may disagree, I am actually in favour of investing in and developing young players for the first team and if not, generate transfer funds.
    • Fair to say that clubs treat players differently (commitment level wise, to fulfil their potential) if they are their own vs. just loan players?
    • Additional income during such time of uncertainty
    • We can reinvest the money on players who suit the system and/or can contribute more to the team at the moment

It's up to Edwards to work his magic on how to make the clause work in our favour. Casemiro was loaned to Porto for a season with Porto having an option to buy for €15m but "there was a clause in his contract allowing Real Madrid to buy him back as long as they told Porto of their intentions before June 5 and paid €7.5m"

I'm quite sure it won't be just straightforward €x million buy back clause.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    dmishra likes this.
  14. MaBigTip

MaBigTip Very Active Member

It all depends on how this was sold to him and we'll likely never know that. Gini was leaving and Thiago wasn't signing a week ago. I trust our coaching and backroom staff now.

15. Hansern

Hansern SCM Addict Member

Is that the new Adele song you like?

16. doctor_mac

doctor_mac My cowboy name is Garland Justice Moderator

Guns don't kill people, FSG do.

Mamma Mia and momoWASboss like this.
  17. King Binny

King Binny Very Well-Known Honorary Member

Article: Sheffield United manager Chris Wilder says he has spoken to Jurgen Klopp about signing Liverpool striker Rhian Brewster on loan.

The Blades are one of up to six Premier League clubs who have expressed an interest in the 20-year-old this summer - including Crystal Palace, Newcastle and Aston Villa.

Sheffield United and Crystal Palace have both held talks with Liverpool but the Premier League champions have yet to decide whether he will be allowed to leave Anfield in this window.

Brewster spent the second half of last season on loan at Swansea, scoring 10 goals in 20 Sky Bet Championship games.

He returned to make a substitute appearance in Liverpool's Community Shield defeat to Arsenal last month and missed the crucial penalty in the shootout.

He is keen on discussing the idea of a move, in order to get more first-team football.

"We've made an enquiry, I am not going to mug everybody off by saying there hasn't been an enquiry," said Wilder ahead of Sheffield United's game at Aston Villa on Monday, live on Sky Sports.

"I have spoken to the manager (Klopp), the club has spoken to Liverpool. I have left that situation now for the CEO and I will get my answers off him regarding Rhian and other targets as well.

"We are looking in that position. We've got a list of players, like everybody else. We have to be open-minded about it and that's what we are being."

Frogfish likes this.
  18. Frogfish

Frogfish Gone to Redcafe Member

I like that much better! On loan. And if he gets plenty of game time (as he should) that could be to everyone's benefit.

RedStar, Fabio and momoWASboss like this.
  19. Fabio

Fabio Former mod, consistent c*** Honorary Member

I thought we were told loans don't work at this stage?!

20. StevieM

StevieM SCM's resident Beer Nazi, Wine Snob & Comic Geek Honorary Member

I reckon a loan deal is a good result here, much better than selling Brewster - we need to find a way of getting him games.

RedStar and tomasjj like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.