• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Brew's ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be disappointed if we sell Brewster even for 25m but if we do cash in then I'd rather we got Patson Daka than Sarr. Both very rapid but Daka seems a better finisher to me and he'd probably be much cheaper.

Last edited:
Its disappointing and he'll score loads, hence the heartache comment. But if he wasn't in Klopps plans and we have others in mind to bring in I can deal with it.

At the end of the day, he's a classic striker and we just don't play with one. We're too successful to consider changing our system to accommodate a prospect. Origi is an effective and willing plan B option off the bench, Minamino is deputizing nicely for Firmino. He's not going to turn into a goal-scoring winger if we lump him in Mane's position. It will likely do his career more harm than good at this stage.

It's shit selling an exciting prospect, but I can't see a way of sledgehammering him into a side that gives him enough games. The buy-back clause mitigates the risk. If he suddenly blossoms and is worth switching to 4-2-3-1 for then excellent, we can bring him back.

Brewster recently liked a post about joining Sheff Utd permanently so he's clearly up for it.

One youth signing effectively pays for half of the new training ground. £25m is a huge fee for a player with his experience.

I can't fault the logic, TBH.

At the end of the day, he's a classic striker and we just don't play with one. We're too successful to consider changing our system to accommodate a prospect. Origi is an effective and willing plan B option off the bench, Minamino is deputizing nicely for Firmino. He's not going to turn into a goal-scoring winger if we lump him in Mane's position. It will likely do his career more harm than good at this stage.

It's shit selling an exciting prospect, but I can't see a way of sledgehammering him into a side that gives him enough games. The buy-back clause mitigates the risk. If he suddenly blossoms and is worth switching to 4-2-3-1 for then excellent, we can bring him back.

Brewster recently liked a post about joining Sheff Utd permanently so he's clearly up for it.

One youth signing effectively pays for half of the new training ground. £25m is a huge fee for a player with his experience.

I can't fault the logic, TBH.

That's where I am too now. The only qualm with your post is that Origi is becoming less effective as a plan B and if we get Sarr, I wouldn't be surprised if Divock is sold too. Looks like Shaqiri isn't going anywhere, so it would be him as an understudy for Salah, Taki for Firmino and Sarr for Mane.

As others have said, if we are suddenly buying Thiago and Sarr, we are selling Origi and Brewster. I could live with that scenario if it were all for footballing reasons for all parties, but it's not is it? It's balancing the books to be able to spend money, which as champions and recent European champions, is fucking criminal really.

As others have said, if we are suddenly buying Thiago and Sarr, we are selling Origi and Brewster. I could live with that scenario if it were all for footballing reasons for all parties, but it's not is it? It's balancing the books to be able to spend money, which as champions and recent European champions, is fucking criminal really.

Balancing the books is criminal?

Balancing the books is criminal?

No, I just mean (Covid aside) I don't understand how we are in a position where we still have to sell to buy. I understand balancing the books, I understand there's no point blocking Origi and Brewster's progress if we have both Minamino and Sarr supplementing a front three that's virtually impenetrable.

I understand we are never going to be a team that splashes the cash without the money coming from outgoings, but I don't have to like it. It's great that we sold Coutinho and got Allison and Virgil, but we won't always have Klopp or a great transfer set up.

So we are basically self sustainable in generating funds from the sale of potentially good players for overinflated fees to mid-table Premiership sides.

If anyone thinks that's going to happen forever or is in itself sustainable, they're burying their heads in the sand. How long before players like Ibe and Solanke start to become warning signs for these sort of deals? If Brewster is a success then great, if he's in the Championship in a year or two then yeah.. I don't think there will be a continuing trend of selling Liverpool reserves for £20m-£30 to your Aston Villa's and Bournemouth's.

I think even in a normal situation, say a world without Covid, it is hard to reject £25m for a relatively unproven talent.

I think even in a normal situation, say a world without Covid, it is hard to reject £25m for a relatively unproven talent.

Of course it is, but it also shows how fucked the market is when you can buy a World Class player for £25m, funded by selling a reserve for £25m.

No, I just mean (Covid aside) I don't understand how we are in a position where we still have to sell to buy. I understand balancing the books, I understand there's no point blocking Origi and Brewster's progress if we have both Minamino and Sarr supplementing a front three that's virtually impenetrable.

I understand we are never going to be a team that splashes the cash without the money coming from outgoings, but I don't have to like it. It's great that we sold Coutinho and got Allison and Virgil, but we won't always have Klopp or a great transfer set up.

We can't brush aside COVID that easily, TBH. FIFA is reporting the game has already lost £11 billion to COVID. Our net spend is a source of frustration through FSG's tenure, but it's difficult to criticize the approach when football finances are in a complete state of flux. Winning the league doesn't bring in much difference in terms of prize money to the top four, we crashed out early of the CL, shirt sales are down on last year, it's possible they'll be no fans all season.

I was disappointed we didn't invest last year, but this year I get it. Being able to trade Brewster for Thiago is simply ridiculous. in terms of the player profile.

Fuck this shit
Keep your ticket, go to the games, leave the forum and the Internet, and you will have another great season of joy.

But you already know this deep down. Not sure why you're letting bullshit on the Internet get you down. These are good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom