• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll CB pair vs Chelsea POLL

Prefix for Poll Threads

What should be the CB pair vs Chelsea?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
  1. Kabak and Phillips – a giant PRO would be that Fabinho could then play at #6 and hopefully cement our midfield. A CON would be everything else – that pair looked shaky even against McBurnie and McGoldrick and will likely be destroyed by better strikers.
  2. Fabinho and Phillips – best available option in terms of decision-making, but the drawback would be having 2 slow defenders, which would mean our defensive line would have to be deeper, which would affect the rest of the team structure.
  3. Fabinho and Kabak – probably most likely to be Klopp's choice, as Kabak's speed in theory should complement Fabinho's reading of the game, but we'll have to live with inevitable mistakes from the inexperienced CB + of course not having the option of playing Fabs in midfield.
Pick your poison.

Last edited:
Fabs and Kabak. Which is probably unfair on Phillips, but its probably our best available CB pairing. Phillips can play against the likes of Sheff Utd and when we need his aerial presence.

1. With Fabs just in front of them, guiding and shielding them I think we would be okay. Give Thiago or Wini a break.
This comment will now convince others 2 and 3 are the correct options

I think he may do that actually,

TTA - Phillips - Kabak - Robo
Fab
Keita - Jones
Salah - Bobby- Mane

Although - I would not be surprised if he went for Gini instead of Keita/Jones. Think Thiago needs to start on the bench for this one.

I say the midfield worked well against Sheff so I'd try that shape again against Chelsea but we also want the same theme against Leipzig to let a partnership develop

FWIW, Gary Gillespie and Ronnie Whelan in the LFCTV studio seem to think Fabinho should go back to midfield and we just stick with Phillips and Kabak at CB no matter what.

FWIW, Gary Gillespie and Ronnie Whelan in the LFCTV studio seem to think Fabinho should go back to midfield and we just stick with Phillips and Kabak at CB no matter what.
Part of me wants to agree with them. However having just watched them get shredded by runs from Sheff Utd players of all teams, them of 21 losses from 26 games, and were very lucky not to concede a goal, then I can only imagine what the likes of Pulasic, Werner, Ziyech & Mount will do to that pair.

Fabs and Kabak. Which is probably unfair on Phillips, but its probably our best available CB pairing. Phillips can play against the likes of Sheff Utd and when we need his aerial presence.

Kabak has been poor so far, Phillips is way more decisive and solid. Everything pinged over the top in the last few games has seen Kabak completely at sixes and sevens. So I don't get how it's our "best available pairing" really, Phillips hasn't done much wrong and gives us some of the aerial presence we lack without VVD and Matip. Also, for all of Phillips' lack of pace, his reading of the game is much better than Kabak's, and Kabak isn't really quick either, he's been caught flat footed a few times.

Kabak’s best game so far was against Leipzig, where Hendo let him be the front-foot CB and covered in behind; if Fabinho can do the same, there is a chance for it to develop into a decent partnership.

The partnership with Phillips on the other hand didn’t seem to work too well; Phillips also wants to play on the front foot and can’t be an effective cover because of his lack of pace. At times the two of them would almost form a vertical line, which should never happen between centre-backs. It’s true that Kabak individually didn’t look good in the last 2 games, but he needs time and a stable partner before we can really judge.

Last edited:
I was giving Nat stick in the other thread but I’d rather him in this one if paired with Fabinho. They’ll be sticking Giroud up top and i think Nat’s physicality with Fabinho’s composure will be ideal.

Looks like us fans are split although the only reason I can explain with Kabak Phillips is they desperately want to see Fab back in midfield which will no doubt happen in time but I think right now we have to keep our faith in Kabak and have him alongside someone with experience for a run of games in Fab and see how he progresses.

Also where on earth is that Davies chap we signed from Preston?

Also where on earth is that Davies chap we signed from Preston?

Apparently, he's not been that great in training. Not really ready for the "Big leagues".
I mean it's understandable, but I mean Rhys was on the bench against Sheff U...

Apparently, he's not been that great in training. Not really ready for the "Big leagues".
I mean it's understandable, but I mean Rhys was on the bench against Sheff U...
Is that for real ? Or you joking about Davies being not ready ? Every coach thats talked about him and all those teams wanting to sign him. How can we get it so wrong ?

Fabinho has been out for a while.

I can't see JK risking him in the midfield.

Playing at the back is far less physically taxing, so one would expect him to start there, if he is to start.

Keita is another big NO when it comes to starting. He's only good for about 20mins right now.

Last edited:
Is that for real ? Or you joking about Davies being not ready ? Every coach thats talked about him and all those teams wanting to sign him. How can we get it so wrong ?
That's what I heard anyway...but I mean it wouldn't surprise me. Robbo barely played when he joined.

Werner would absolutely murder Phillips and a Kabak pairing, and Tuchel will start him given all the space we leave in behind.

Fabinho pocketed Werner earlier on in the season. Starting him at CB is a no brainer.

I'd been banging on about 2 centre backs, but yeah Fab maybe should be in here for his pace.

It's a good conversation but JK will play Fab at CB if fit. I dont think anyone seriously expects anything else.

I'd rather see Fabinho in midfield but I'd be very surprised since we see him there against Chelsea. If he's fit enough to start I think Klopp puts him at CB.

With Milner and Keita coming back into contention in midfield, there’s no chance on earth that Fabinho isn’t our 1st choice Cb for the rest of the season.

I think fab will struggle. First game back after injury.

He is our best CB though.

There's no right answer to this, but fab has to start at CB sadly.

And we need Trent to be quite hot on marking Werner - its a great point by Squiggles that they'll be attacking the space in behind.

Why cant we fucking keep a CB partnership a bit longer. Why is there so much obsession to get anyone in unless you are Zeus of CB like VanDjik. If we defend the way Klopp likes him team to defend, we will survive. Let Kabak and Nat get some confidence together.

Even Fabinho goes back to midfield. No one should disturb that CB partnership. Let Fabinho first build his fitness and we will see if he able to hold his bones together longer than one game. I am sick of players getting injured again and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom