• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Champions League Draw 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chelsea's CL Group Opponents :

BwKYKnEIcAEHIlP.jpg:large

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ep-Guardiola-lays-law-strict-fines-squad.html

Pep Guardiola has implemented a strict regime of discipline on his Bayern Munich players in a bid to mentally toughen them for the new season. The squad were subjected to a talk from their head coach at the beginning of the season, in which he outlined his new stick over carrot approach, and reportedly told them, 'from now on, this is all completely compulsory'.

At the centre of the new idea is a rigorous system of fines for small indiscretions, which the German press have christened 'Guardiola's punishment catalogue'. Punishable indiscretions involve arriving late to team meetings, not observing dress codes, failing to put dirty clothes in laundry bins, and taking phone calls on the first floor of Bayern's training ground HQ on Sabener Strasse.

Players will receive a €250 fine for committing an offence on one occasion, with the size of the fine going up by another €250 with every repeat offence. Captain Philipp Lahm is said to be in charge of collecting the fines from offending players. Fines will also be handed out to players who are deemed to be overweight, and to those who fail to eat within an hour of the end of a training session or a match. This last point is reported to be particularly important to Guardiola. On the advice of Bayern's dietician Mona Nemmer, the players should be eating pasta dishes within an hour of finishing work, but many avoid doing so, in order to eat with their families when they return home. This has clearly begun to frustrate the Guardiola.

The stricter discipline has been taken as a direct response to Bayern's Champions League collapse last season. In April, director of sport Matthias Sammer complained that the atmosphere at the club was too friendly, describing it as a 'cuddly oasis'. His worst fears were confirmed when the team slumped to a 4-0 humiliation at the hands of Real Madrid days late. Having already won the Bundesliga by March, many saw that defeat as a psychological failure. Indeed, Guardiola admitted as much himself.
In a new biography dealing with his first year at Bayern, the Spaniard is quoted saying that he and his players became too emotional about the Real game, which ultimately led to their downfall. Hence the new, more ruthless approach.

With a plethora of early season injuries to deal with, as well a lack of pre-season preparation for his World Cup winners, Guardiola is also keen to make sure the side is as fit as possible. Lahm explained the new regime in those terms. 'We're not used to starting the season having trained so little. After such a short holiday, it's difficult to be at 100 per cent' said the Bayern captain.

Despite having won the Double in his first season in Munich, Guardiola knows that his time at Bayern will be judged primarily on the Champions League. He is desperate to avoid the same physical and psychological collapse which embarrassed his team last season. As the new season gets under way, it's out with the cuddly oasis, and in with the Bavarian bootcamp.

I smirked at this bit.... "This has clearly begun to frustrate the Guardiola." THE GUARDIOLA. LOL.
Maybe Zlatan was right, Guardiola is the school teacher and the players are all his pupils.

Luke Shaw is lucky he didn't head to Munich, poor lad would be broke before Xmas. "Fines will also be handed out to players who are deemed to be overweight".

Maybe the wrong place for this but ... it looks bloody great fun !

Trailer for One Night in Istanbul.

Any excuse to get a dig in at him.

In his defence, he has a point about Chelsea. They're no pushovers.
But they lost their best player in Salah after that.

They're a good side but if we beat them, then we should be through

Yep I'm not disagreeing mate. They also have a new manager and I'm assuming they're playing a different style these days.

I'm just saying I wouldn't be getting carried away with the whole "guaranteed 6 points" thing.

Anyone who thinks 6 points is guaranteed is an eejaaat. The group is certainly not a bad group, as long as we play as we know we can

Love that draw. Two top games against the Fascists' pet. And two other teams we should be able to finish above. Bring it on.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...nners-to-benefit-as-uefa-plans-seeding-change

UEFA is close to changing the seeding system for the group stages of the Champions League, Sky Sports News’ Chief News Reporter Bryan Swanson can reveal.

UEFA has confirmed that, under new proposals, the top eight seeds would comprise of the defending Champions League winners, along with the seven domestic league winners of the top-ranked UEFA nations. Initial talks over the seeding system took place earlier this year, and the plans were approved by the club competitions committee in May.

UEFA president Michel Platini, and other top officials, hope the new rules will prevent defending league champions seeded lower than other teams from their country. [​IMG] UEFA plan to change the seeding process for the Champions League from next season onwards Chelsea and Arsenal were both in pot one in this month's draw and seeded higher than Premier League holders Manchester City.
The new rules would prevent top-ranked domestic champions from being drawn in the same group. Had the rules been introduced this season, it would have meant Manchester City were placed in pot one. The plan needs approval from the UEFA Executive Committee before it can be introduced but it is hoped it would take effect from next season.

No EL thread so I'll put it in here - vaguely related anyway since some of those CL teams will end up there ! Not exactly easy groups for Everton or Spurs (who have some traveling to do too - good !).

The Groups

ElcdFdz.png

No EL thread so I'll put it in here - vaguely related anyway since some of those CL teams will end of there ! Not exactly easy groups for Everton or Spurs (who have some traveling to do too - good !).

The Groups

ElcdFdz.png

My Everton supporting mates were happy with that draw - mainly because they based it on how far they had to travel rather than the quality of the opposition. Seems they have no ambitions of progressing really, but would prefer a nice day out in a nearby country.... Anyway, looking at the teams in that draw, there's no real strong teams that Everton or Tottenham should be worried about. Avoid a couple of big teams that enter from the Champions League and they could go far. In fact, either of those could be decent outside bets to make the final.

As far our Champions League draw, I'm relatively happy. We were always going to get one big team - the key was avoiding two or three. Two tough games against Real, and as long as we play to our potential and don't take Basel and Ludogerets for granted, we have a good chance of progressing. However, I still think we'll have to be at our best.

I want Everton and Spurs to go as far as they can in the EL. Thursday - Sunday is a bitch.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...nners-to-benefit-as-uefa-plans-seeding-change

UEFA is close to changing the seeding system for the group stages of the Champions League, Sky Sports News’ Chief News Reporter Bryan Swanson can reveal.

Were the new rules in play this season, here's how Pot 1 would have looked:
1 Spain - Atletico
2 England - Manchester City
3 Germany - Bayern Munich
4 Portugal - Porto
5 Italy - Juventus
6 Russia - CSKA Moscow
7 France - PSG
8 Holders - Real Madrid

Were the new rules in play this season, here's how Pot 1 would have looked:
1 Spain - Atletico
2 England - Manchester City
3 Germany - Bayern Munich
4 Portugal - Porto
5 Italy - Juventus
6 Russia - CSKA Moscow
7 France - PSG
8 Holders - Real Madrid

I think they've managed to make it even worse, if anything. You want the best teams in pot 1, as simple as that. The Portuguese and Russian champions are never likely to be, and the French winners will only be close to good enough while PSG continue at this kind of enhanced level.

I've been saying for ages they should just revert back to a knock out format but with 64 teams instead 32.

Agreed, if we beat them, but it's nowhere near a given.
As for the mentioning the last time they beat us that was in reference to the fact we took them lightly then and got beaten so we better not do the same again.
But as per usual Ryan takes one point and twists it to make a pretty obtuse point.
Maybe I'll just hang out in the fantasy football thread where's he's all knowing ability is coming a cropper

My Everton supporting mates were happy with that draw - mainly because they based it on how far they had to travel rather than the quality of the opposition. Seems they have no ambitions of progressing really, but would prefer a nice day out in a nearby country.... Anyway, looking at the teams in that draw, there's no real strong teams that Everton or Tottenham should be worried about. Avoid a couple of big teams that enter from the Champions League and they could go far. In fact, either of those could be decent outside bets to make the final.

As far our Champions League draw, I'm relatively happy. We were always going to get one big team - the key was avoiding two or three. Two tough games against Real, and as long as we play to our potential and don't take Basel and Ludogerets for granted, we have a good chance of progressing. However, I still think we'll have to be at our best.

I beg to differ, chief.

Wolfsburg I do really rate very much this year. They could very well be this year's dark horse in the Bundesliga. Believe me, they're good.

Lille's quite a good side too as we know from the last couple of years. Origi as a future Liverpool player will be up for it as well.

A very tricky group for Everton in my opinion.

If they're at their best they ought to get the drop on Lille TBH but Wolfsburg, as you say, are more than decent. I expect Wolfsburg to win that group.

Agreed, if we beat them, but it's nowhere near a given.
As for the mentioning the last time they beat us that was in reference to the fact we took them lightly then and got beaten so we better not do the same again.
But as per usual Ryan takes one point and twists it to make a pretty obtuse point.
Maybe I'll just hang out in the fantasy football thread where's he's all knowing ability is coming a cropper

Oh shit, Dreamy's got fantasy football to hang over me.

my credibility's down the pan.

Talking of "schoolboy", Lefty, how's your lad? He was shaping up to be Michael Owen Mk.2 if I remember. ;)
Hey JJ. He's good thanks but he's long since packed in the footy. He's 15 now and plays cricket for our local team and for the county. He's been in the senior first team since he was 13...opens the batting. He's taken his football refereeing badge just so he can do some games for pocket money. He's got three games on today but will be back in time for kick-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom