• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

City to become a selling club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosco

Worse than Brendan
In the lull before the gunstorm that usually arrives towards the end of a western, as the protagonists position themselves carefully in recognition of the likelihood of the landscape containing unseen bandits waiting in ambush, it is traditional for someone to remark: "I don't like it. It's too quiet."
Manchester City are in the Far East at the moment, not the wild west, butRoberto Mancini has just had his John Wayne moment. Blaming Brian Marwood for the lack of transfer business conducted so far this summer may not have been the sign of simmering internal discord some have suggested; it could simply have been a convenient way for the City manager to park an inconvenient question and move on to matters he could talk about. But the champions' close season has been so quiet it would be a surprise if the man in charge was not getting twitchy. Nonexistent might be a better word to describe transactions to date. City are alone among the 20 Premier League clubs in bringing in precisely no one – even Everton and Wigan have done better than that – and, though they have released a handful of bit-part players, including Owen Hargreaves and Stuart Taylor, no significant funds have been generated. Were Eastlands really the setting for a western, smoke signals would be rising above the Openshaw badlands by now, possibly in rings to indicate zeros.
This is Manchester City, after all – not only the new champions but the moneybags of Europe. Summer hardly seems summer without City spending big, and that is part of the problem. Many of the big signings from summers past are still stubbornly on the books and, though City recognise the need to move on players such as Emmanuel Adebayor and Roque Santa Cruz, and possibly Carlos Tevez and Edin Dzeko, so as to comply with Financial Fair Play stipulations, those same new rules are already operating against them by depressing the market. Adebayor, having proved himself at Spurs, seems the most convenient and likely sale, one that is being held up only by the player's personal terms. At least Spurs seem to want Adebayor, and that is half the battle. But who is going to want Santa Cruz, who was a luxury purchase at a far too lavish fee even when City signed him? Just as City were hardly trampled in the rush to pay Blackburn £18m for the Paraguayan in 2009, why would anyone but City want him now, when he is three years older with hardly any more games under his belt and a reputation as injury prone?
Yet shifting Santa Cruz may be easier than finding a buyer for Tevez. City have been unofficially trying to offload the permanently unhappy Argentinian for over a year now without success. Had he moved last summer as expected the whole unpleasantness that began on the substitutes' bench in Bavaria could have been avoided, but he did not, it was not and having to keep shaping their plans around an unpredictable influence who is as expensive as he is disruptive is another bullet City are having to bite. After his antics in the middle of last season the noise from the supposed Tevez fan club around Europe has shrunk to an almost inaudible whisper.
It would be much easier to sell Dzeko, who gives hardly any trouble at all and still has admirers in Germany and Italy, yet that would be to retain bad signings at the expense of good ones. Dzeko could still do a job for City and would probably get enough games to keep him happy with the strike force as it is at the moment, though if another top-line striker such as Robin van Persie was brought in, his situation would become untenable.
Just about everyone's would, that is the trouble. Even without the threat from FFP rules, City could not realistically run an attacking sextet of Van Persie, Sergio Agüero, Mario Balotelli, David Silva, Dzeko and Tevez. That is not even considering Adebayor, who is away from the club but still on the payroll, or Santa Cruz or last summer's splurge, Samir Nasri, who for the sake of convenience is usually listed as a midfielder. This is not a new-fangled problem brought about by Michel Platini's crackdown on overspending, it is an old-fashioned problem brought about by signing too many players without paying enough attention to the necessity of moving some of them on.
City's hands appear to be tied at the moment and the double whammy they fear is not only missing out on Van Persie but losing him to Manchester United. Were that to happen, City would still have one of the most exciting and potent attacking line-ups in the Champions League this season, particularly as Balotelli seemed to mature into a true international player in the European Championship, but the sense would be of an opportunity missed and a point conceded to the quiet and respectable neighbours.
Mancini must weigh that against the alternative, which would be making room and raising revenue for Van Persie by moving out a genuinely saleable player such as Balotelli or Silva. That, in turn, focuses the mind on whether Arsenal's striker really is everything he is cracked up to be or whether he is just flavour of the moment after an exceptional season. Tough call. No wonder it has all gone quiet.

With the high wages they've been handing out its nearly impossible. Kolo Toure is on 120k, Bridge on 80k, Adebayor 170k, Lescott 90k. The list goes on and on.

Tevez would be a dream signing... providing he actually turned up to play rather than sulk.

Would love Tevez if the deal stipulated his crappy attitude staying at citeh. Think he'd link brilliantly with Suarez; same as he did back end of the season with Aguero

Sorry - but you guys must watch something different to me - I don't rate that guy at all, which is one of the reasons the top clubs in Europe have not actually gone for him. Lets face it Man United never thought about putting in that extra to keep him, and City were prepared to let the guy just get fat in Argentina. So I am right on this - I think to many of you just kind of fall for specific moments that players have in games and it kind of sticks in your head for a long time while forgetting that the player may have been a libability all season or not perferming consistently. Kind of like our "legend" Smicer. No - seriously Tevez, what a load of shit !!!

You've spent the last month talking absolute fucking crap about Downing.

The other day in the Olympics thread you were talking nonsense about Brazilian players.

And now to cap it off Tevez is rubbish.

I've been lurking more than posting recently but it's hard to do that when someone is trolling on a regular basis.

So.....Stewart Downing could play for Barca.

Neymar isn't all that.
Carlos Tevez has had "moments" when he was good.

Hahahahaha !!!!

Honestly - its the truth, most of the players you guys keep harking on about are average. Your just all over them for some odd reason, look at your wonderfull Spanish contingent in the Olympics - completely useless and out.

Right now I feel like Benitez giving my 'Facts' speech to you guys, none of you get it, and whats worse is that you guys mock me for thinking and saying that one of our 'own' players is talented. Tevez is DEFINITELY overrated and I guess if you have experienced the seasaon we have some of you may even think that any player who plays in one of the other footballing nations and has 2 great moments in a season of 50+ games is the next Maradona.

WOW !

You are mental or stupid or a wind-up.

I am not mental, stupid or a wind-up. I am being seriously :-

Neymar = little pussy who would not survive in PL (maybe Italy where the game is a little slower)
Tevez = there is a reason why Mancini kept him on the bench and did not always start him, neither did Sir Alex

I think what I see here are a load of blokes who quite frequently like to look at other mens wives and no matter how they look they find them attractive.

Honestly - its the truth, most of the players you guys keep harking on about are average. Your just all over them for some odd reason, look at your wonderfull Spanish contingent in the Olympics - completely useless and out.

Right now I feel like Benitez giving my 'Facts' speech to you guys, none of you get it, and whats worse is that you guys mock me for thinking and saying that one of our 'own' players is talented. Tevez is DEFINITELY overrated and I guess if you have experienced the seasaon we have some of you may even think that any player who plays in one of the other footballing nations and has 2 great moments in a season of 50+ games is the next Maradona.

Opinion ^^^

Facts>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Tévez#Honours

Yeah. Nothing to do with his being mental, huge wage demands and City wanting a large fee. He's a rubbish footballer. THAT'S why City have struggled to offload him.

Manc on a wind up Shirley?

Leo - you may insult my opnions in anyway you wish - but please don't call me a Manc, its the worse insult a Liverpool fan can be given - you should know that.

Keniget - yes he has huge wage demands but so do the star players at Barca, and Real Madrid, and Chelsea but they don't see Tevez as the one to do the business for them. If anything one would have expected the likes of newly rich PSG to go for a player like him but they havn't have they ? Like I said - not that popular.

If we could swap Downing for Tevez (crazy, I know) would you want us to do it, moron ?

Leo - you may insult my opnions in anyway you wish - but please don't call me a Manc, its the worse insult a Liverpool fan can be given - you should know that.

Keniget - yes he has huge wage demands but so do the star players at Barca, and Real Madrid, and Chelsea but they don't see Tevez as the one to do the business for them. If anything one would have expected the likes of newly rich PSG to go for a player like him but they havn't have they ? Like I said - not that popular.
Your sig doesn't exactly help you out.
If your pining Downing as some sort of European star and then following it up by saying that Tevez is rubbish you *must* be on a wind up.

Oh give it a fucking rest with your nonsense.

For completely different reasons to Moron, I wouldn't want to go near Tevez either. I think he works his guts out - close to Kuyt like work rate plus he scores goals. But I can't get past his attitude. Couldn't settle at West Ham; disciplined by his team mates and couldn't get on the pitch; pathetic attitude when dealing with the mancs and after being given such an opportunity by Ferguson showed no grattitude; his efforts at city are well documented but I don't think he can exist at a club without causing problems. Makes Anelka look a model pro.

If we could swap Downing for Tevez (crazy, I know) would you want us to do it, moron ?

Different players, and not a fair question as 99% of the people that come on here don't like Downing so its unfortunate that your asking me this based on an opinion I have on Tevez.

Perhaps my language is a little harsh at times - but I don't always see good players doing well in any team or environment. There are the exceptions of the last few decade or so where certain players you can just put them in any team and they will make a big difference, I just dont' think Tevez is going to make that much of a difference to a team unless he has a strong supporting caste with him of a 'certain' type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom