• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Club up for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who have we got so far :

Dubai International Capital
Steve Ballmer
Stephen Pagliuca & Bain Capital
Mukesh Ambani
Unnamed Qatar investor
Bahrain Sovereign Wealth Fund

Anyone else?

Steve Ballmer
Mukesh Ambani
Unnamed Qatar investor

Anyone else?

Even though previously ruled out but guess possibly still in tke list:
Jim Ratcliffe
Ricketts

Ambani is a ruthless businessman. Successful at almost everything he does. Has his hands in almost every sector in India - telecom, energy, retail and even sports.

But part of why he is successful in India is how corrupt the government is, and how pervasive his control of authorities in India is. Reliance can get whatever it wants done from a policy or regulatory perspective in India.

Ambani is not some evil dude, but nobody likes him either. He loves cosying up to the political powers that be. His wife is annoying, his kids too - both love the glam life and love their Bollywood association. Their tastes are garish, loud and not subtle at all.

Now he's run a very successful sports team in the Mumbai Indians - 5 titles - most successful in the IPL, but that's mostly because of being able to throw more money in player auctions than any other team. IPL is a pretty young league, and works very very differently football.

I don't know how they'd run Liverpool. I can guarantee his wife and kids would want to be as high profile as possible and try and throw money at big transfers, just for the visibility it'd bring.

I'd personally hate it because it'd be very cringy, and I can't stand Ambani. But I suppose every billionaire is a cunt, and Ambani isn't any worse than most of them.

Yep. I can't find any reason to really hate the guy, but wealth like that just makes you throw up on the mouth a little.

Steve Ballmer
Mukesh Ambani
Unnamed Qatar investor

Anyone else?
DIC doesn't exist
Bahrain has said "No"
Beyond the royal family who in Qatar has that sort of money, and they already have PSG?
Surprised you left out Norway's sovereign investment fund
Kuwait and Singapore also have massive sovereign investment funds

DIC doesn't exist
Bahrain has said "No"
Beyond the royal family who in Qatar has that sort of money, and they already have PSG?

Was it not reported sometime in the past that United Arab Emirates and members of the Maktoum Family were interested in buying LFC out right..?

Not sure what to read into this but are FSG in desperate to sell?
Maybe need the cash flow for rest of their other ventures.

Last edited:
Ambani is a ruthless businessman. Successful at almost everything he does. Has his hands in almost every sector in India - telecom, energy, retail and even sports.

But part of why he is successful in India is how corrupt the government is, and how pervasive his control of authorities in India is. Reliance can get whatever it wants done from a policy or regulatory perspective in India.

Ambani is not some evil dude, but nobody likes him either. He loves cosying up to the political powers that be. His wife is annoying, his kids too - both love the glam life and love their Bollywood association. Their tastes are garish, loud and not subtle at all.

Now he's run a very successful sports team in the Mumbai Indians - 5 titles - most successful in the IPL, but that's mostly because of being able to throw more money in player auctions than any other team. IPL is a pretty young league, and works very very differently football.

I don't know how they'd run Liverpool. I can guarantee his wife and kids would want to be as high profile as possible and try and throw money at big transfers, just for the visibility it'd bring.

I'd personally hate it because it'd be very cringy, and I can't stand Ambani. But I suppose every billionaire is a cunt, and Ambani isn't any worse than most of them.

Thanks for this.

Given the options this would seem one of the better options to date from the limited info we have. I presume there's big scope to grow the game further in India?

DIC doesn't exist
Bahrain has said "No"

I dunno mate - there was some thread link to a Qatar purchaser going around.

Kuwait might be another one - Norway & Singapore haven’t been mentioned realistically.

Whatsisface Maktoum for DIC.

FSG are really pulling an elaborate smoke and mirrors trick, just so they don't have to buy a new midfielder in January.

I dunno mate - there was some thread link to a Qatar purchaser going around.

Kuwait might be another one - Norway & Singapore haven’t been mentioned realistically.

Whatsisface Maktoum for DIC.

I was listening some journo on YouTube going through who could be owners.
He went on ruling out any bidders from the ME and it was him who said DIC was dissolved. Remember few years back DIC was interviewed and he regretted not getting at £300m and the current value was too expensive for them.
The pool is small of people who could afford £4bn, that it goes to investment funds.
The Ambanis have the cash but I doubt love the game. However, Indian Billionaires like to escape Indian justice and flee to Britain.

Thanks for this.

Given the options this would seem one of the better options to date from the limited info we have. I presume there's big scope to grow the game further in India?

Dmish has pretty much summarized what I also know about them.

The negatives are they love the glitz, glamour and can be a bit distasteful in flaunting their wealth. Check out the Ambani house in Mumbai. Expect lot of bollywood movie stars appearing at Anfield.

The positives are they play to win. They will market the hell out of our club in India. Every Bollywood star and media influencer will become a "fan" of our club over night. We will become the number one club in India, no doubt about it.

Also, the premier league bosses haven't faced anyone like Nita Ambani yet. They know how to navigate the corridors of power, wield influence, and bend stuff to our gain.

Personally, not sure if they are the right owners for us. But I would prefer them over faceless investment baking types like the Bain Capital owners. In terms of US sports owners, I don't think there is anyone better than FSG left. Maybe Steve Balmer. He is known to be a nice owner, invests in teams, but the track record is a bit meh. For someone like Pagliuca, I think I prefer FSG.

2.7 billion?

Seems too little.
It does considering the amounts banded about previously...

But who know whats going on finically behind the doors of FSG.
And it would be a 2.3bn - 2.4bn profit on what they paid for the club.

Maybe they have another club in mind that they feel they can do the same with

At the end of the day it is about making Money for FSG

The Ambanis have the cash but I doubt love the game. However, Indian Billionaires like to escape Indian justice and flee to Britain.

I am sorry to say but your posts on this topic has been full of ignorance . The generalizations you are making is downright, insulting.

Yes, Anil Ambani is almost bankrupt. I am not a fan of Ambani. But anyone who has a modicum of knowledge about the Ambani brothers knows that Mukesh Ambani is a different kettle of fish as a businessman. He is not going to go bankrupt.

Patricia Kluge, Philip Green, Sean Quinn, Bernie Madoff, Elizabeth Holmes, Gudmundsson, Stanford - plenty of billionaires have declared bankruptcy. It is not a uniquely Indian phenomenon. Have you voiced concerns about FSG going bankrupt given several American Billionaires who have declared bankruptcy in the past? Will you be concerned about UK owners taking over given Philip Green and Sean Quinn have declared bankruptcy.

Yes, we have had several high profile cases of billionaires escaping to Britain? Ever thought about why they flee to Britain? Also, there is as much chance of Mukesh Ambani running of to Britain for protection as Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates escaping to South American countries to escape US justice system.

I dont like the Indian billionaires (or any billionaire for that matter) and definitely don't approve of the way they operate. But continuous insinuation of the generalizations you are spouting is kind of insulting.

So we have a few categories of buyers

1. Sports washing geo political types (Dubai etc)
2. Potential asset stripper funds (Bain)
3. American sports owners
4. Non western billionaires with political influence (Indian dude)
5. Other sovereign development funds (Asia?)
6. Western sovereign development funds
(Norwegian?)

Regretfully I think Klopp is a rare case of lightning in a bottle and we have to be Owned by serious $ to ever win again on a consistent basis.

but additionally I could never support the club if it was owned by a really dodgy group.

Catch -22 I guess. American sports owners seem to be the most realistic bet but they don’t spend big usually. It’s all value purchases

In an ideal world FSG sells a significant minority stake to Ambani and we alternate pre-seasons between the US and India. FSG can continue to fund capital build projects while Ambani splurges millions on players.

upload_2022-11-13_17-17-21.jpeg

Need to fill in rest of the chart.

Hey mate.

Yep don't really post much these days - but do come for a browse every few days.

Should try and do more posting but getting old, married, kids ... probably all negative nancy shite if I do post :D

All reasoned and sound tho bud. Post more man. :cool:

I am sorry to say but your posts on this topic has been full of ignorance . The generalizations you are making is downright, insulting.

Yes, Anil Ambani is almost bankrupt. I am not a fan of Ambani. But anyone who has a modicum of knowledge about the Ambani brothers knows that Mukesh Ambani is a different kettle of fish as a businessman. He is not going to go bankrupt.

Patricia Kluge, Philip Green, Sean Quinn, Bernie Madoff, Elizabeth Holmes, Gudmundsson, Stanford - plenty of billionaires have declared bankruptcy. It is not a uniquely Indian phenomenon. Have you voiced concerns about FSG going bankrupt given several American Billionaires who have declared bankruptcy in the past? Will you be concerned about UK owners taking over given Philip Green and Sean Quinn have declared bankruptcy.

Yes, we have had several high profile cases of billionaires escaping to Britain? Ever thought about why they flee to Britain? Also, there is as much chance of Mukesh Ambani running of to Britain for protection as Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates escaping to South American countries to escape US justice system.

I dont like the Indian billionaires (or any billionaire for that matter) and definitely don't approve of the way they operate. But continuous insinuation of the generalizations you are spouting is kind of insulting.
I watched WION news, these guys declared bankruptcy but no way are they bankrupt. The conned the people of India out of Billions. Now Mukesh might be different, but someone previous has said he is corrupt. Then again which Billionaire isn't? Mukesh might be what this club needs and I would choose him over any Man U supporting billionaire.

[article]
Mukesh Ambani 'statement' clarifies position on Liverpool and possible FSG sale
Indian billionaire Mukesh Ambani has been linked with a purchase of Liverpool but new reports have emerged on his stance

SPORT
By
Dave Powell
  • 10:07, 14 NOV 2022
1_GettyImages-109703773.jpg

Mukesh D. Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd (Image: Pankaj Nangia/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

Indian multi-billionaire Mukesh Ambani is not in the race to purchase Liverpool, according to reports in his home country.
On Sunday a report emerged in the Mirror that claimed Ambani had approached Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group over acquiring their shareholding and taking over the Reds.
Ambani, the eighth richest man in the world with a fortune estimated to be around £90bn, was linked with a bid for the Reds back in 2009, something that was denied at the time by both his office and then Liverpool chief executive Christian Purslow.
READ MORE: Mohamed Salah fumes as Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp follows Carlo Ancelotti path
READ MORE: Borussia Dortmund drop major Jude Bellingham January transfer hint amid Liverpool rumours
The Mirror reported that Ambani had revived his interest in purchasing the club after owners FSG opened themselves up to a potential full sale last week, a development first reported by the Athletic, with claims of an asking price of around £4bn mooted.

But major Indian media outlet ABP News has claimed that a representative of Ambani's Mumbai-based Reliance Industries firm has branded the reports as 'fake' and that the 65-year-old is not in the race to acquire the club.
Ambani, who already has sporting ownership interests through Reliance Industries' ownership of the Indian Premier League cricket side Mumbai Indians, is the latest in a string of names to be linked with a bid for the Reds.

British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe, the founder of INEOS and owner of OGC Nice, has ruled himself out of the race, as have the Ricketts family, the US owners of the Chicago Cubs baseball team who had been part of the bidding process for Chelsea earlier this year.
American billionaires and investment funds have been heavily linked, with former Microsoft executive Steve Ballmer, who owns the Los Angeles Clippers NBA team; Harris Blitzer Sports and Entertainment, who own the Philadelphia 76s NBA franchise and a part of Crystal Palace, and Boston Celtics and Atalanta owner Stephen Pagliuca all having been mentioned. There has also been reported interest from the Middle East.
FSG haven't explicitly stated that Liverpool are for sale and the stance is maintained that they are looking for investment and fresh capital into the club. That process was started with the engaging of major US banks Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs to manage developments, but has since been expanded to field interest from those interested in a full takeover of the club that has been owned by John Henry's firm since 2010 and that has seen a valuation rise of more than 1,000 per cent from its £300m purchase price.
The ECHO has reached out to Reliance Industries for comment.

[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom