• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Comolli Sacked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
we're not talking about tactics, formations, coaching, we're talking about scouting, identifying and securing talent.

You are talking bullshit my friend. Director of football is a bit more than Chief Scout. Thats why Comolli is out the door. We are talking overall football strategy, what it takes for this club to compete on the highest level, and that takes more than scouting, identyfying and securing talent. And thats why Comolli got fired.

You are talking bullshit my friend. Director of football is a bit more than Chief Scout. Thats why Comolli is out the door. We are talking overall football strategy, what it takes for this club to compete on the highest level, and that takes more than scouting, identyfying and securing talent. And thats why Comolli got fired.

so kenny is a glorified coach?

so kenny is a glorified coach?

Well I am aware that there aremore and more Liverpool fans that have bought into the idea that football started in 1992, but yes Kenny is glorified. Very much so... If he is a glorified coach? Nah, I dont think he was that either when he won the league with Blackburn (which is after 1992!!). But he is a strong leader and a good manager who knows what this club and this game is all about. If he is a good DoF? I don't think so. I believe his passion is more about the things that happens on the pitch rather building a club in a more strategical sence. hence he is the perefect manager for us. Now we need the perfect DoF.

Well I am aware that there aremore and more Liverpool fans that have bought into the idea that football started in 1992, but yes Kenny is glorified. Very much so... If he is a glorified coach? Nah, I dont think he was that either when he won the league with Blackburn (which is after 1992!!). But he is a strong leader and a good manager who knows what this club and this game is all about. If he is a good DoF? I don't think so. I believe his passion is more about the things that happens on the pitch rather building a club in a more strategical sence. hence he is the perefect manager for us. Now we need the perfect DoF.

I may be being whooshed, but I think you misunderstood the nuances of 'glorified' in that sense.

He meant 'glorified coach' as in we call him 'manager', but in reality his title should be coach as all he does is coach the side & deal with tactics on matchday.

The English language is a pain in the arse in a lot of ways.

I may be being whooshed, but I think you misunderstood the nuances of 'glorified' in that sense.

He meant 'glorified coach' as in we call him 'manager', but in reality his title should be coach as all he does is coach the side & deal with tactics on matchday.

Hmm maybe I was wooshed then.

Well it seems like what kenny wanted was to focus on the team, and that is pretty much fine I guess. Call him what you want, he certainly dresses like a coach on matchdays!!

Which player was saying the other day that Kenny doesn't do any coaching?

I've heard he makes a fucking wonderful cup of tea.

Cruyff is currently involved with and committed to Chivas in Mexico and Ajax, can't see him leaving either project for LFC.

Welcome to the forum, but nobody's in a position to know whether Cruft (as Joe Mercer used to call him) would come to us or not. If we want him, we should give it a whirl and find out one way or the other.

One guy I definitely don't want is his fellow countryman Van Gaal. He's the ultimate Marmite manager - players love him or (usually) hate him. Too risky by far IMO. If we want a control freak in charge we may as well get Rafa back.

I was surprised, it was the other day. Can't remember who though... Said he improves the mood around the place and has a word with everyone but doesn't actually do any coaching.

I was surprised, it was the other day. Can't remember who though... Said he improves the mood around the place and has a word with everyone but doesn't actually do any coaching.

I think you refer to the Blackburn player who he managed back in the early 90s. Dont remember who, but one of them said that ray harford did most of the coaching.

Thats why we have coaches ..... I really don't understand people who think the manager needs to do everything

Not sure but I think that was someone who played for Blackburn or Newcastle while Kenny was manager there

So he's basically a cheer-leader? ;)

Nah, I bet Kenny does a lot of man-management. Even his old players are saying that he wasnt much of tactician but he could help players improve.

Ferguson is getting by alright without doing any

Don't be naive enough to think he doesn't coach Ross. Besides, even if he doesn't he still knows how to set up teams, to deploy tactics, to buy players, to instil the right mentality, leadership and approach, and to be the greatest manager in history.

There's a bit of a difference between him and our glorified cheerleader.

that's exactly what I meant.

Don't be naive enough to think he doesn't coach Ross. Besides, even if he doesn't he still knows how to set up teams, to deploy tactics, to buy players, to instil the right mentality, leadership and approach, and to be the greatest manager in history.

There's a bit of a difference between him and our glorified cheerleader.

Soso. kenny is still a young man and have the future ahead of him. Plenty of time to catch up with the rednose....

Cruyff was one of the key people responsible for making Barcelona what they are today. Don't know if he is good with day-to-day stuff, but as a visionary he is clearly influential. I would be interested to see how Cruyff and Kenny could work together to set the long-term vision for this club. That's what we need more than anything.

Isn't Cruyff emerging from his own issues with accusations of racism?

He is indeed often cited as laying the groundwork for Barca's success over the last decade but he's a very difficult character. I can see him being a medium to long term visionary but don't know about some of the more prosaic tasks of a DoF.

I owuld love to have Cruyff and Dalglish pulling the strings for this club. it would be just like having grunge back.... Romantic yes, efficient enough I dont care... :)

Damien Comolli's sacking at Liverpool should serve as a warning for manager Kenny DalglishWhen you sit down for lunch with ruthless American bosses, there is always the possibility the dessert will consist of a P45. So it proved for Damien Comolli.
comolli_2192043b.jpg

Bleak omen for Damien: Liverpool owner John Henry (left) with former director of football Damien Comolli Photo: ACTION IMAGES

By Chris Bascombe
10:00PM BST 12 Apr 2012

Once the surprise about the timing of Liverpool’s director of football’s departure had disappeared, it turned out there was no shock in the announcement at all.
Comolli was summoned to America earlier this month to offer his explanation for a dismal league performance and — here is the key — what his plan would be to remedy those failings.
The Frenchman was singularly unimpressive in his responses, so much so he’d confided to colleagues he was worried about his next encounter with the Fenway Sports Group.
Comolli lost his job because after 18 months the owners decided he wasn’t what he was cracked up to be.
There are numerous reasons why. It is not just that Liverpool overpaid for players — they were purchased on the manager’s request after all — or failed to recruit high class bargains like, say, Newcastle, despite his claims of an impressive scouting network.
It was not even Comolli’s clumsy handling of the Luis Suárez affair, as others were just as if not more culpable for that, or that bizarre £1 million exit clauses were inserted into the contract of a valuable asset such as Dirk Kuyt.
It was all of the above. A sense from John Henry and Tom Werner that Comolli wasn’t the perceptive guy they needed. Once their judgment was made, getting rid as quickly as possible was the best solution.
The fact there was a coach to catch ahead of an FA Cup semi-final was irrelevant. If the players or manager were distracted by such a story, they’re at the wrong club.
The two days of high level meetings at all levels of the football were an exercise in the self-analysis the club has needed for years.
Football clubs function on trust between all its staff, and there is still plenty of suspicion to address.
In a stern interrogation of Comolli and Kenny Dalglish, the owners wanted a full debrief of the league performances and explanation about why particular individuals were signed at such a hefty cost.
They’ve even questioned why certain players, such as popular midfielder Maxi Rodriguez, have rarely played despite his obvious goalscoring threat. Rodriguez’s two goals against Blackburn in midweek now look more relevant than they seemed at the time.
The revelation that Kuyt — a Dutch international — could be surplus to requirements at Liverpool but integral to Holland’s Euro 2012 campaign also raised concerns.
It means Comolli’s sense of foreboding on his return flight from America was justified, but his departure should not be seen as a political victory for manager Dalglish — who honourably assumed all responsibility for the summer signings that contributed to Comolli’s downfall.
Comolli will soon be replaced by another director of football and the FSG management model will remain intact.
Dalglish, just like managing director Ian Ayre, will see Thursday’s events as a warning, not a reassurance.
If there was a layer of protection for Dalglish, Comolli was it. It is to the manager’s credit he has never tried to shift blame for the failure of expensive players on to anyone else, not even in private briefings. He has staked his reputation on the players’ coming good.
They are now playing for his job as much as their own Anfield careers against Everton on Saturday.
If ever Dalglish needed his faith in the dressing room repaid, it is now.
If they fail, Dalglish’s submissions that those signings only need time to settle may see him become the next requested to dine at a table packed with long knives.

If Cruyff comes, I wonder if he can get Victor Fischer to sign for us?
It's a thought.

But for starters we need Christian Eriksen not Fischer who's still a few years two young to make any instant impact. We need instant impact first and foremost.

Perhaps Cruyff could help with Eriksen as well mind, has praised him on a few occasions already, comparing him to Laudrup.

we should get pelé so he can bring neymar with him.

it doesn't work like that. are players swayed by the word of a great ex player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom