• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two more Watford players are in self isolation after coming in contact with people with coronavirus. Both had negative results.

I'm a bit more hopeful of season restarting than I was a week or two ago. Still, not totally convinced just yet though.

The second lot of results are released tomorrow. If there is no new cases i can see group sessions being brought forward.

La Liga is back in two weeks.

[article]
Spanish football has been given the governmental green light to return from 8 June.

La Liga teams have been back in training for a number of weeks and this week stepped up sessions to working in small groups.

Now Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez has given permission for football in the country to resume from 8 June.
[/article]

Only 2 positive tests from the Championship too.

Andros Townsend actually sounds optimistic that season should restart in June.

I find it very Europe that no one has yet commented on the dark side of being able to deprive individuals of their livelihood, reputation, and even freedoms because the government is afraid of something that it doesn't even begin to understand.

And that's just in New York City.

I find it very Europe that no one has yet commented on the dark side of being able to deprive individuals of their livelihood, reputation, and even freedoms because the government is afraid of something that it doesn't even begin to understand.

And that's just in New York City.

Health professionals and governments around the world aren't "afraid." They are making rational decisions based on a host of factors, one of which includes the very thing you seem to be confused by: limited available information. It's like you are aghast that someone armed themselves, when they heard a growl the likes of which was only vaguely comparable to a bear, emanating from their kitchen. They don't even know what animal it is. They should probably keep the economy rock and rolling.

I tell you what's very american about this very american country we both live in. Having zero safety net whatsoever and throwing corpses into the giant wheel of retail commerce. Wait, actually, that's not it, it's that you can AstroTurf people to advocate for throwing themselves on the wheel for you. Sorry grandma, our understanding of our countries founding myth and identity is as a nursery rhyme, so some sacrifices must be made!

And the only thing we've seen so far is that competent governments, no matter their opinion on whether people's last dying words should be "how are we going to pay for this," or indeed their politics at all, dealt with this, with less economic cost and lives lost.

And shit, complacent, governments with no real leadership, or leadership that has forgotten entirely how to govern, had more cost, and more lives lost.

Last edited:
"founding myth and identity"

We can politely agree to disagree, as this comment tells me everything you'll say about this issue.

Although, because I just can't help myself, the fear amongst health care workers - And I work in and around that field - is real to the point of panic. And the panic is what drives dictators like Cuomo and Wolf to think they have the right to shut down innocent people's businesses.

I am eagerly awaiting their dictat to shut down every donut shop, cookie bakery, soda manufacturer, and any other threat to just one single life.

Ok, NOW we can agree to disagree.

I am eagerly awaiting their dictat to shut down every donut shop, cookie bakery, soda manufacturer, and any other threat to just one single life.

This is a massive relief to me. I thought I was living in a world where 29,000 New Yorkers had already died in the last 10 weeks due to total unpreparedness, and that the discussions were turning to reopening now after massive cost to human life. Turns out instead people are massively overreacting to save just one human life.

I think you've convinced me. I mean, it's easy when it's just a number but you tell the donut shops mother that it isn't coming back from donut school today.

I debated including :sarc, I think I probably should have, sorry. The left suddenly cares about preserving every single possible human life, as long as the means to do so is depriving 350 million people of their God-given right to choose how much risk they are willing to take in life. Before you say it, I know we are all silent walking covid assassins and if I really cared about others I would stay home and just plug into the Matrix.

Yes, shut down 350 million people because of New York. I forgot the universe revolves around them. I'm sure it's Trump's fault, right? Maybe Lord Cuomo should have thought twice before dumping covid positive seniors into skilled nursing facilities.

Deaths by age in NY Hmmm...

Let's just call it like it is - your bear in the kitchen analogy is way off. How about this (humor me, I'm a bit punchy). The neighborhood watch, run by Karen who also chairs the HOA, is walking past your house and sees some shadows in the kitchen. She calls SWAT and the National Guard to shut the entire city down until she can figure out what made those shadows. While logical freedom loving people understand that chasing shadows is a well-established folly, Karen is emboldened by the power she know wields over every private citizen and business owner, so she starts talking about how scary the shadows looked that night, and how she has heard that shadows in other cities made some 89 year olds on oxygen with diabetes and COPD have sudden heart attacks. Children start running away from all shadows. Karen SWATs businesses who think they can sell stuff without her permission. TAKE THE GOVERNMENT HANDOUT AND BE GRATEFUL!! Etcetera etcetera etcetera.

This is what is happening. Fauci knows nothing. The CDC knows nothing. Their advice changes daily. And the economy - i.e. human beings trying to make livings - burns.

Thanks all you Karens.

I debated including :sarc, I think I probably should have, sorry. The left suddenly cares about preserving every single possible human life, as long as the means to do so is depriving 350 million people of their God-given right to choose how much risk they are willing to take in life. Before you say it, I know we are all silent walking covid assassins and if I really cared about others I would stay home and just plug into the Matrix.

Yes, shut down 350 million people because of New York. I forgot the universe revolves around them. I'm sure it's Trump's fault, right? Maybe Lord Cuomo should have thought twice before dumping covid positive seniors into skilled nursing facilities.

Let's just call it like it is - your bear in the kitchen analogy is way off. How about this (humor me, I'm a bit punchy). The neighborhood watch, run by Karen who also chairs the HOA, is walking past your house and sees some shadows in the kitchen. She calls SWAT and the National Guard to shut the entire city down until she can figure out what made those shadows. While logical freedom loving people understand that chasing shadows is a well-established folly, Karen is emboldened by the power she know wields over every private citizen and business owner, so she starts talking about how scary the shadows looked that night, and how she has heard that shadows in other cities made some 89 year olds on oxygen with diabetes and COPD have sudden heart attacks. Children start running away from all shadows. Karen SWATs businesses who think they can sell stuff without her permission. TAKE THE GOVERNMENT HANDOUT AND BE GRATEFUL!! Etcetera etcetera etcetera.

This is what is happening. Fauci knows nothing. The CDC knows nothing. Their advice changes daily. And the economy - i.e. human beings trying to make livings - burns.

Thanks all you Karens.

Just out of curiosity, if 100,000 dead isn't enough for you to think lockdowns are a good idea, what number would do it for? Half a million, 5 million, 10 million? More?

Last edited:

Thanks all you Karens.
After the lock-downs in South Korea, China, Italy etc. etc. showed that was the way to prevent all out national infection you still remain unconvinced and as those rednecks on the street the world over demonstrate given their 'freedom' they would have spread the virus far and wide (BTW the human race has rarely taken individual freedom over the protection of the tribe so calling it God-given - as if you or anyone could know that - is a huge stretch).

I'm not sure what linking to age related deaths that highlight the elderly proves - other than maybe you don't have any elderly relatives that would be susceptible or you agree with a cull of the aged.

I do agree the time has come for a loosening of the strings by degrees in areas of low incidence but a look at how people refuse to social distance and wear masks just epitomises the idiocy it would have been to trust them without relatively controllable measures.

My neighbour is a member of the "Irish Freedom Party" (they were originally called the Irexit party, so you can guess their leanings), and he comes up with the same shite as CT.

The main thing I got from the argument above was closure of Donut shops ... may not be a bad idea, considering the obesity problem that seems prevalent in the US

Thanks all you Karens.

Let's just assume that they do have an understanding and the understanding is:
  • It's airborne and highly contagious
  • It's dangerous enough for a not immaterial amount of people to die from
  • Lots of people are asymptomatic
  • Those that aren't asymptomatic may not see symptoms for at least a week
  • No cure or vaccine will be available in the first 6/12 months of the disease
If all the above are true, then it's a disease that can easily spread through the population and a lot of people could potentially die from it.

Based on the above assumptions, most health agencies recommend that keeping 2m apart and having good routines around hand washing and cleaning are pretty effective. I'm not sure anyone has anything to disagree with up to this point.

Keeping 2m apart is actually the one that makes it difficult for a lot of businesses to function effectively, but if they can, I'd argue there's no reason for them not to open.

I think the problems and disagreements arise from essentially basic political ideologies, can you trust people to just do the right things and know what to do to stop the spread of the disease, or do governments need to step in to enforce good practice where they see fit. That should happen based in which ever government countries have voted in themselves.

My neighbour is a member of the "Irish Freedom Party" (they were originally called the Irexit party, so you can guess their leanings), and he comes up with the same shite as CT.

The main thing I got from the argument above was closure of Donut shops ... may not be a bad idea, considering the obesity problem that seems prevalent in the US

It's not Hermann is it? That would mean you could be my neighbour too.

Thanks all you Karens.

Er, Karen isnt the one trying to shut things down to save other people.

Thanks all you Karens.

Please don‘t spout your right wing Trumpet shite in the football forum.

Thank you.

Personally I think the Covid-19 is a lefty plot to shut down world economies so we will all become communist then the devil will rise up again as we all know the devil loves communism while Jesus died on the cross for capitalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom