• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Covid-19 & Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sky starting their HDR (HLG) rollout on Wednesday. It doesn't sound like live footy will be part of it even when the prem resumes, although not confirmed just yet.

upload_2020-5-25_21-26-22.jpeg

My neighbour is a member of the "Irish Freedom Party" (they were originally called the Irexit party, so you can guess their leanings), and he comes up with the same shite as CT.

The main thing I got from the argument above was closure of Donut shops ... may not be a bad idea, considering the obesity problem that seems prevalent in the US

Donuts are overrated, unhealthy and are also a crime against the English language. I say shut 'em down!

The problem with donuts is that there aren't enough decent ones. A nice donut is great.

We knew a Greek girl who studied in NI for a while, she thought doughtnuts was pronounced "duffnuts".

The problem with donuts is that there aren't enough decent ones. A nice donut is great.

We knew a Greek girl who studied in NI for a while, she thought doughtnuts was pronounced "duffnuts".

The hole is the only good thing about a donut.

I don't mind the Krispy Kreme style ones, but the real, proper doughnuts that are sold in those vans, the fried ones covered in sugar, like cinnamon tasting, fuck me they're amazing. Could eat a full bag of them.

I don't mind the Krispy Kreme style ones, but the real, proper doughnuts that are sold in those vans, the fried ones covered in sugar, like cinnamon tasting, fuck me they're amazing. Could eat a full bag of them.
yeah, especially when they're still warm.

My mum used to pop one under the grill so the sugar caramelized a bit. Lovely.

LFC statement on ending the women's league: 'Now that it has been deemed that a return to WSL play is not possible, we await an equitable solution to those issues still to be decided in a campaign where a third of our league games were still to be played'. Sounds a tad West Hamish: seeing as LFC Women - who've been an absolute shambles for quite a while now - are bottom and have been there or thereabouts all season, I'd say 'an equitable solution' would be to relegate them.

They should go down. If you’ve been shit for 2/3 of a season there isn’t much chance of you being world beaters for the final third.

Latest rumour is that high profile matches such as the Derby and vs City, may be shifted to neutral venues.

Sigh!

I can see that happening. Especially as we have those games early on so we can see if dickheads do turn up for the game. If we were going to win the title against Everton then you’d expect the gobshites to be out in force down county road despite everywhere being closed.

Yeah, you only have to look at the parks & beaches anywhere in the country to see that there are thousands of dickheads who don't give a shit. Sadly I don't see any alternative to neutral venues.

Yeah, you only have to look at the parks & beaches anywhere in the country to see that there are thousands of dickheads who don't give a shit. Sadly I don't see any alternative to neutral venues.
Only three of the eighteen games played since the restart of the Bundesliga have been won by the home team with both Bayern and Dortmund winning as expected at home.
I really don't think that in an empty stadium, home advantage will count for much to the Brigtons of this world.
I suspect their objection to neutral venues is really an objection to the league restarting and the therein threat of relegation and possible subsequent extinction.

Block off all the roads around for ground for a mile in every direction, except for residents. Once people find they can't get near the ground they'll probably move on elsewhere.

Only three of the eighteen games played since the restart of the Bundesliga have been won by the home team with both Bayern and Dortmund winning as expected at home.
I really don't think that in an empty stadium, home advantage will count for much to the Brigtons of this world.
I suspect their objection to neutral venues is really an objection to the league restarting and the therein threat of relegation and possible subsequent extinction.
I think there is still some advantage in playing at home as, in most cases, clubs have slightly different pitch dimensions and to some degree coaches tailor their default tactics to suit those dimensions. Probably not a huge factor, but I can imagine a particularly technical coach having an objection to it.

I think there is still some advantage in playing at home as, in most cases, clubs have slightly different pitch dimensions and to some degree coaches tailor their default tactics to suit those dimensions. Probably not a huge factor, but I can imagine a particularly technical coach having an objection to it.
Plus the comfort level of the players ... and the 'This Is Anfield' sign above the tunnel scaring the shite out of the opposition of course (even without a crowd).

It’s either that or have temporary legislation making it a crime to be in the vacini

I hope they lose all their home games. That’s because I can be a spiteful cunt.

I'd agree that the familiarity of a ground etc does offer some advantage to the home side, borne out by the adjustment period that Spurs had to Wembley and West Ham to the Olympic stadium. In spite of this they still had, if memory serves me right, a better record there than would be expected if it was a neutral venue, which to me suggests that the crowd is what has the greatest impact when it comes to giving home advantage

Last edited:
Plus the comfort level of the players ... and the 'This Is Anfield' sign above the tunnel scaring the shite out of the opposition of course (even without a crowd).

I think our players will have a tougher time adapting to Anfield without the crowd – better to play at a neutral venue where the players can turn on the "away game mode." The Bundesliga stats also show (so far) that home advantage without a crowd is no advantage at all.

I think our players will have a tougher time adapting to Anfield without the crowd – better to play at a neutral venue where the players can turn on the "away game mode." The Bundesliga stats also show (so far) that home advantage without a crowd is no advantage at all.
Whilst you may be right, the games played since the restart are nowhere near enough to state that with any degree of conviction and it may just be an anomaly. Only 2-3 of those 10 away wins in the BL are clear upsets and the others to be expected. Obviously it's possible that a degree of rustiness, teams not preparing for the return as well as their opponents, may account for that and something to be aware of when the PL returns.

It's highly unlikely that a zero crowd gives the away team an advantage (which is the insinuation) so we'll need far more data before drawing any conclusions.

I don't think there was an insinuation that zero crowd gives an advantage to the away team, more that the absence of a crowd takes away the advantage the home team would normally experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom