• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cow bells and Allez Allez Allez!

Evans got Teejay van Garderen (boss name that) around still mind and as he's looking rather strong too and still within reach of the lead he'd be a weapon Wiggins can't neglect should he be used in attack.

Perhaps we'll actually see greater battles between their respective lieutenants really, Froom vs Teejay, than Wiggins vs Evans.

Attack? Battles? Team?

I thought this was some lads pissing about on bikes for a bit

Game over.

There's already talk of Cadel strolling home now so he can conserve energy for the Olympics.

I dunno Ryan. Today is THE day for me. If wiggins comes out of the day with his lead intact its his.

Maybe a final chance tomorrow but I just can't see anyone getting away from Wiggins Team Sky don't ever seem to be moving out of 2nd gear.

I'd piss myself if froome thought Fuck it and scooted off. He's got to leave to be successful, so why tow the team orders?

Finally so decent brit talent.

I'd piss myself if froome thought Fuck it and scooted off. He's got to leave to be successful, so why tow the team orders?

Finally so decent brit talent.

I dunno Ryan. Today is THE day for me. If wiggins comes out of the day with his lead intact its his.

S'over mate.

Wiggins has one mountain day to endure, and he's yet to be even challenged. Mostly down to the fact that he's got the best team I think I've ever seen in the Tour. They were 3/4 of the way up the Tourmalet yesterday, and he still had 4 teammates in front of him. That's fucking insane.

Think back to all the great champions of the Tour in the last 20 years, and at some stage they've all had to dig deep individually and repel attacks. Wiggins has barely had to break a sweat from behind someone's wheel.

Once last night he had to chase down Nibali at the top of the Aubisque and that was for about 30 metres cos Froome was fucked from doing it for him all day. even then, Froome got his breath back, and got back up to overtake nibali for the start of the descent.

The team's immense, and they've won it for him really.

Perfect tour for sky.
Loads of stage victories, Loads of winners, Cav on the Champs and Yellow.
Awesome.

Ok, I now zip squat about this tour malarkey, but on the radio they keep banging on about how great his team was riding alongside him?

I first thought they'd meant the team that fix his bike etc but know I'm perplexed.

They race as a team but one bloke wins it? How does that work?

One fella on the radio made it sound like his team were going road rash on his competition through the mountains, which sounds fucking boss, if unlikely.

The chain was a class weapon on Road Rash. Would love to see that in the Tour De France... or perhaps broom handle in the spokes.

I think it's more to do with keeping the riders at a certain pace to protect another member of the team. Although I am not the right person to ask as I to wondered this a couple of weeks ago.

The chain was a class weapon on Road Rash. Would love to see that in the Tour De France... or perhaps broom handle in the spokes.

I think it's more to do with keeping the riders at a certain pace to protect another member of the team. Although I am not the right person to ask as I to wondered this a couple of weeks ago.

I kinda thought that, but then I thought, you'd just overtake the fucker to find the one wearing the bright yellow jersey. I mean it's not like you get them mixed up like.

You're probably right, I always just envisaged it as a load of blokes in Lycra having a race for a really fucking long time cos they're all a bit mad & don't ever want to sit down in comfort again.

More than an hour on a bike has me wincing the next day.

I imagine Andy is working out how to reply to me without being too patronising as I type this.

Ok, I now zip squat about this tour malarkey, but on the radio they keep banging on about how great his team was riding alongside him?

I first thought they'd meant the team that fix his bike etc but know I'm perplexed.

They race as a team but one bloke wins it? How does that work?

One fella on the radio made it sound like his team were going road rash on his competition through the mountains, which sounds fucking boss, if unlikely.
Hello Jon.

Ok a tour team is usually made up of a variety of riders:
GC - General classification are your all rounders. (Schleck, Wiggins, Contador)
TT - Time trailists who love the flat. (Wiggins, Cancellara, Sanchez leon)
Sprinters - Exactly what they say. They can give you speed for about half a K thats it. (Sagan, Cav, Hushovd)
Climbers - Great it the mountains. Normally tiny thing wispy guys. (froome, Voekler)
You normally set your team up with the view that your best rider will win his jersey for the tour (Yellow for the win, White for best young rider, Polka dot for king of the mountains, Green for sprinter) so for example Mark Cavendish team last year (HTC Columbia) were built around getting him stage wins in the sprint courses and helping him through the mountains to stay in contention (you have to finish within a certain amount of time of stage winners to not be disqualified). Sprinters are powerful muscle guys who do not climb well because of all the extra weight.
So Cav's team last year would form with him to pull him up the mountains (you expel 30% less energy in someones tow and probably less still in a bunch) and then lead him out for the sprint stages. So they form a line with weakest to strongest in front of him and time it so that as each man leading expends his energy the next man takes his place and the last man in front of your sprinter is the second fastest guy on your team and he should be leading with about a K to go. Then he peels off and lets the sprint guy do his thing.

Climbers normally do their own thing as they will just sit in the peleton on flat stages and run off the group early in the mountains to try and collect mountain points. They are normally as I said thin whispy sinewy guys who have no pace to speak of and are normally down on the time before the tour hits the mountain stages.

Time trailists are a bit like Sprinters although they can normally sustain it for a lot longer they dont usually climb well. Thats why Wiggins has done so well adapting his style, hes a time trialist who has learned to ride the mountains.

So basically your team is made up of all these riders all of whom are supposed to do a job for the team but who often times go off and do their own thing. This is normally encouraged by the teams as they want their man to be seen up front or whatever as the TV coverage means more sponsorship money so you see riders in breakaways all the time.
The amazing thing about Sky this year is how dedicated they have been to simply helping Brad win the tour.
Basically Froome COULD have won the tour or at least the KOTM. Cav COULD have won the green jersey, Boasen Haagen COULD have won the White jersey, but the whole teams focus has been Yellow. Wiggins has been careful to mention it every single time he has been interviewed and its no small thing to have the greatest sprint cyclist in the world running erands to get you water bottles or a man who could run away from you in the alps keeping your pace up and dragging you through every pass.

Its not just the support he has on him at all time either its the pace setting. Sky have pulled in breaks when needed, they have stretched out the field when needed, they have basically done whatever has been nescessary to get their man in yellow in Paris.
Someone mentioned earlier but to see a team leading out halfway up a mountain still with four men pulling your GC guy up the hill is fucking unheard of. For most of this tour and last Evans was on his own up there. The year before it was Schleck and Contador on their own up each mountain pass, This year Sky have been their every inch of the way for Wiggins and he would not be where he is without the team, which is why his showing for Cav on the Champs was such a noticable thing (tour leaders dont usually do that) he is fully aware of what the team have done for him.

So regards to destroying other teams its mostly because other teams didnt work or function as a team. Anyone who knows the way Brailsford works could see this was going to be the way, and to be honest either other teams follow suit or its going to be the same again next year. On one stage this year Evans had a puncture and one of HIS team ignored him and went off up the mountain. Thats the difference between success and failure.
Sky have riden the perfect tour. They have sacrificed jerseys and stage wins for Yellow.

Yup, all of what Oncy said.

The point about other riders (specifically Froome) sacrificing themselves for Wiggins and Wiggins mentioning it everytime he opens his mouth is incredibly important.

It's thought to be one of the reasons why George Hincapie's decided to testify against Armstrong. FFF - When Lance won his 33455602610 consecutive TDF's, Hincapie gave up life and limb (possibly while drugged up to the balls) to shield him and get him through hell and back. Armstrong being Armstrong couldn't possibly share that limelight though, and made it all about himself and barely deigned to mention Hincapie.

Read his fucking book. You'd think he was the only cunt to ever ride up a hill.

Anyway, Wiggins knows what side his bread's buttered on.

Oh, and if you ever want to know how hard it is FFF; get on a bike, cycle your pure cunt out, and tell 20 of your mates to just cycle behind you at the same time. Do that for 200km's up and down hills.

For 3 weeks.

Oh, and if you ever want to know how hard it is FFF; get on a bike, cycle your pure cunt out, and tell 20 of your mates to just cycle behind you at the same time. Do that for 200km's up and down hills.

For 3 weeks.
....for about 15k a year.

Peep dis J.
The wind here is blowing from right to left along this line.
Bradley Wiggins will not be able to feel it as he coast in there.

Look behind at the peleton. Evans rides for BMC who ride in red.
How many riders in red can you see?

Im not sure where this is on the tour, but its fairly standard for what we saw day in day out.

TeamSkyDauphine_2778281.jpg

Evans had Tejay Van Garderen dragging him up the Alps though mate, to the point where Evans had to tell him to go and have a crack on his own cos Evans couldn't keep up. Evans had some teammate support, obviously not like Wiggins had, but it wasn't completely BMC's fault.

Evans had Tejay Van Garderen dragging him up the Alps though mate, to the point where Evans had to tell him to go and have a crack on his own cos Evans couldn't keep up. Evans had some teammate support, obviously not like Wiggins had, but it wasn't completely BMC's fault.
No I know mate, and obviously on his own admission Evans wasnt fit enough (illness) to win. But im just highlighting the point to J.

Back
Top Bottom