• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Croatia v England - World Cup Semi Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s all get behind France now to win me a grand.

I wanted England to get through even though I’d have a dilemma in the final.

Drinks at next drinkies are on me if France win. (1 per person max)

No thanks, I am gonna support Croatia and Lovren. Ideally - I would love Croatia to win now, with Fekir missing a penalty or giving the ball away that leads to Croatian goal - we may get him for 30M then.

Let’s all get behind France now to win me a grand.

I wanted England to get through even though I’d have a dilemma in the final.

Drinks at next drinkies are on me if France win. (1 per person max)
Do we need to attend to claim the free drink?

I enjoyed that while it lasted. A semi-final with good if not great professionals is impressive.

Good luck to Croatia, they have plenty of never-say-die attitude and some gifted players.

Last edited:
Can we go back to calling 21 of the squad cunts? I’m sure the resident will be calling 22 of them cunts.

For all Southgate's alleged genius the same problems England had in first game were evident in last nights game.

Lingard, Alli & Sterling were all ineffective and Henderson was isolated in the middle. Kane got one decent chancr from open play and Trippier's crossing was the only threat from open play.

Walker was brilliant at stopping Croatia attacks when Trippier was upfield but you saw exactly why he's not a centre back for Periscope's goal.

Maguire was venturing upfield regularly and he's not a threat with the ball at his feet. I can't help but think that a second midfielder alongside Henderson would have been more effective.

It's an achievement to reach the semi's, no doubt, but i don't know that it says anything about this England team.

Yeah, I'd go along with that.

Our issues were apparent from the first game. Lingard and Alli simply didn't offer enough in midfield and Henderson was just left on his own.

You might get away with that against some but not against the likes of Rakitic and Modric.

I think experience can be overrated.

The five most experienced world squads were:

Spain
Uruguay
Mexico
Argentina
Germany

Three of the semi finalists are amongst the youngest squads in the competition. France being the youngest squad in the World Cup. Technically Nigeria are younger on paper, but i don't trust Nigerian birth certs.

Yeah, I'd go along with that.

Our issues were apparent from the first game. Lingard and Alli simply didn't offer enough in midfield and Henderson was just left on his own.

You might get away with that against some but not against the likes of Rakitic and Modric.

And even Brozovic. I'd happily have him and the right back at Liverpool

E7aGAlP.jpg

I'm still not convinced about Southgate and think England have missed a huge opportunity gifted to them via the great draw. England will almost certainly not get such an easy ride in future tournaments and we can all expect the Spanish, Germans, Brazilians etc to re-group and comeback stronger.

There is some cause for optimism in that Maguire, Trippier, Kane, Stones and Walker will all be around for a while and there seems to be some serious talent coming through, Foden (he's gonna be huge), Brewster, Sessegnon etc.

England's biggest weakness is the media circus that follows them everytime, everywhere - always whipping up it's fans (and players) into a frenzy into thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread.

Southgate's team were doing so well this time round, cruising below the radar, until the media started building the bandwagon again and crashed it for everyone else. Always.

Experience in terms of playing games is one thing. Experience in terms of winning games is another.

On paper maybe yes. But in football anything can happen. And for that reason alone, I'm rooting for Croatia to become World Champions for the first time in the WC history. About time someone else won.

I'm still going out on Sunday for the final with my mate.

Bex has the Monday off & it's still the world cup final. Gonna find a sports bar & get a few pints & some scran then proceed to get pissed & celebrate how fucking well this young England side did.

No doubt.

England's biggest weakness is the media circus that follows them everytime, everywhere - always whipping up it's fans (and players) into a frenzy into thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread.

What's the evidence of this, though? England's fans were just celebrating getting as far we England did. I certainly never came across any fans that thought we were a great team all of a sudden. Better than we originally thought? Yes. But the best thing since sliced bread? No.

And I never saw anything of the players regarding this either. Or did I miss a few quotes/press conferences? That is quite possible!

I honestly think your post is baseless.

Sterling has regressed by several years under Southgate. If he hangs around for the play off game, the damage might be irreparable even for Guardiola. I'll be drinking to that on Sunday.

On paper maybe yes. But in football anything can happen. And for that reason alone, I'm rooting for Croatia to become World Champions for the first time in the WC history. About time someone else won.

In any sport, anything can happen. But having experience in success is huge. It is at any level of sport, and anything in life, really. Having the knowledge you can do it (having done it before) is fucking massive in your head. Not just on paper.

What's the evidence of this, though? England's fans were just celebrating getting as far we England did. I certainly never came across any fans that thought we were a great team all of a sudden. Better than we originally thought? Yes. But the best thing since sliced bread? No.

And I never saw anything of the players regarding this either. Or did I miss a few quotes/press conferences? That is quite possible!

I honestly think your post is baseless.

Haters gonna hate mate. If there had been no coverage of any kind the usual suspects would have said the silence was a sign of arrogance. Just the usual green eyed monsters needing to move on.

Yes, and thats why I always love to root for the underdog.

Mind you, not always. I didn't want Trump to win for example.

But on Sunday, I am rooting for the team that deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom