• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Crvena Zvezda (h) pre-match

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member
This is the game when our attacking players must finally click into gear – looking at the next few fixtures I would pretty much say it's now or never, because for the past few games we've been creating fewer and fewer chances (in the last two games our xG, the expected goals based on quality of chances, has dipped below 1 for the first time) and that trend will catch up with us unless we reverse it. Last season the games against Maribor and Spartak allowed our forwards, Salah in particular, to dramatically increase their confidence in creating and finishing chances, which they then carried through for the rest of the season – now is the perfect chance to do the same.

I'm far from an expert on Red Star, but I forced myself to watch their highlights (or at times "highlights" in name only) against Napoli (0:0), PSG (1:6) and the last domestic game (3:1), so here are some observations:
– They play with 4 at the back and that back line seems vulnerable to passes in behind and they also leave a lot of space on the flanks by trying to be compact laterally. Trent needs to play to take full advantage of this.
– Midfield is physical and combative; sometimes they fly into tackles and concede dangerous free-kicks
– Generally they don't seem set up to be overly defensive; the players all have technical quality to pass the ball around neatly – that could again play into our hands if we try to catch them with some high pressing. They have some pride and will try to score a consolation goal if losing by a big margin; however if the game is tight expect lots of time-wasting and play-acting.
– The main attacking threats seem to be the former Werder and Chelsea winger Marko Marin and a striker from Comoros (I really had to Google where it is – turns out it's a small island near Mozambique) named Ben; he seems quite fast and skillful.

From our perspective, I think the team pretty much picks itself. Klopp doesn't start with 4 attacking players all that often; even when Coutinho was here it was the games against the likes of Maribor and Spartak where all of the "fab 4" started. Red Star should be very much in the same category: get as many attacking players on the pitch as possible, don't forget about physicality in midfield and quality delivery from the flanks and we should be set.

Mane is back in training, so I expect him to start; Shaqiri deserves to be picked ahead of Lallana and Sturridge on current form and Gini and Fabinho should perfectly complement him in midfield. The defense surprisingly has the most options here; I would personally completely rest Van Dijk for this one and go with Matip-Lovren "2016 defensive dream" partnership. Lovren is a must for some entertaining Serbo-Croatian banter and to harass the hell out of Salah when he scores.

4-3-3:
---------------Alisson--------------
---------Matip-----Lovren--------
Trent------Fabinho------Robbo
------Shaq---------Gini-----------
Salah-------Firmino------Mane

Subs: Mignolet, Gomez, Moreno, Milner, Lallana, C. Jones, Sturridge

Last edited:
For me it will to be:

—————-Alisson—————-
TAA—-Gomez—-VVD—-Robbo
—————-Fabinho—————
———-Gini———-Shaq———
Salah———Firmino———Mane

All of the front three need to find form and i think we’ll maximise their minutes together ahead of the trip to the Emirates.

Our attacking play suffers with TAA on the bench so i want him back, although I’d expect Gomez to play RB against Arsenal when that comes.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Lallana given nod in the centre but it sounds like Naby, Millie & Hendo are all going to miss this one.

I think the fact Trent was chosen to talk to the press after Klopp suggests he'll be playing tomorrow.

I think I'd prefer to start with Milner rather than Shaq simply because he's the best available for setting the pace and aggression at the start of these kinds of games, as evidenced against PSG. Then Shaq would be a good option to bring on in the second half.

Hendo and Naby are out, so Fabinho will start at least. Mane has been training normal for the last few days and will probably start as well.

He played for Partizan didn't he? Would be a good game for him

Anyone know how he's doing?

He played for Red Star, not Partizan.

Got serious injury in his 4th game for Hertha, unfortunately:
The 22-year-old had to be taken off 72 minutes into the Bundesliga side’s 4-2 victory over Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday afternoon, his fourth appearance for the club since joining for the season.

It was later confirmed by Hertha that Grujic sustained an ankle ligament rupture.

“Marko has managed to make a significant difference to our game in the short time he has been with us, which is why the loss for him personally and for us is very, very bitter,” said general manager Michael Preetz.

“Now we will look after him and help him, so that he can play that role as soon as possible.”[\quote]

I'm looking forward to Fabinho getting a start. Not too dissimilar to Robbo getting in the team when Moreno was injured and making the spot his own. Dominate the midfield today and i'd expect him to keep the shirt for Cardiff and potentially further.

I'm looking forward to Fabinho getting a start. Not too dissimilar to Robbo getting in the team when Moreno was injured and making the spot his own. Dominate the midfield today and i'd expect him to keep the shirt for Cardiff and potentially further.
Oh I'm sooooo hoping for this.

To be fair, Naples does look lovely.
zabrauti-1.jpg

Liverpool: Alisson, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Shaqiri, Mane, Salah, Firmino.

Subs: Mignolet, Lovren, Moreno, Milner, Lallana, Sturridge, Origi

Defensive pairing aside (don't think Klopp was ever going to pick a Lovren/Matip partnership, rurik nailed the team.

Apparently there’s electrical issues in the main stand. No lights in dressing rooms and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom