• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Defending the Indefensible

This season we have hit the woodwork 24 times, the next team, the next team on that list is fulham with 18. Man City and Arse both hit the wood work 11 times.
Now look at the XG chart we create more than any other team but we also have to do a lot more near our own goal. If Slot can get the balance right, we could win the PL
# TeamMPxGxGAxGDGFGAxG vs Actual
Liverpool FC Badge
Liverpool FC372.231.24+0.992.271.11+0.04
Manchester City FC Badge
Manchester City FC362.220.92+1.302.530.92+0.31
Arsenal FC Badge
Arsenal FC371.850.92+0.932.410.76+0.56
Tottenham Hotspur FC Badge
Tottenham Hotspur FC361.771.40+0.371.971.64+0.20

The back line needs looking at it but I would first focus on the attack and work my way down the team from there.

Fark phrased it quite succinctly - the forward line has very little attacking chemistry. The failure to score when it's mattered, the lack of ability to put games away has slowly but surely eaten away at this teams confidence till everything has more or less come crashing down.

We don't have a forward line, we have a handful of middling options.

We don't have a midfield, again, we have options.

A back line is not going to function with this in front of it. This does not excuse the individual mistakes or failures in the defence. It's just to say that the problem is systemic and a couplew new defenders might help but will not solve things entirely.

The case is if it weren't for the heroics of our GKs we could be where Man U are.
Do we need the same surgery to our back line as our MF?
I think it has to be looked at. Yes, it's easy to be reactionary, but it's not quite worked at the back. God knows how many times I've seen them make a wayward pass that could have cost us.
What is this bollox when people say ...'if it were not for the goalkeeper....' - its like we could manage without one, we need to get used to the idea that they did their jobs in those games. Also, our defenders are not shit individually, but our transition from attacking to defence is shit and too risky/slow. Thats why we have issues.

What is this bollox when people say ...'if it were not for the goalkeeper....' - its like we could manage without one, we need to get used to the idea that they did their jobs in those games. Also, our defenders are not shit individually, but our transition from attacking to defence is shit and too risky/slow. Thats why we have issues.
No one is shit, but if we scored 3 goals, and then we let in 3, you can't blame the attack. There has been a few games where our defenders have been ball watching. The Palace goal, the defenders fucked up.
I remember when commentators use to say, I would hate for Liverpool to go 3 up, as they will close shop. Once we have a 2 goal cushion, I don't see the need to maintain a high line, why not 'close shop'? start passing the ball around tikki-takka style. Let's see if Slot does that. Looking at stats, we are not too far away from the Arse and Man City. 100% agree with @keniget our players right now lack chemistry

Said already, it extends beyond shared responsibility within the backline.

Forward Line Decline:
  • The attacking players have experienced a drop in energy, athleticism, and off-the-ball quality.
Midfield Concerns:
  • The midfield, once known for physicality and athleticism, has also suffered.
  • Despite their ball-playing skills and progressive passing, their impact off the has diminished.
  • The above is compounded by the fact Szobozlai's weird, little feet have stopped being useful
The defence has not been helped by injuries to nearly all members aside from VVD.

The comparisons to the problems United face though are OTT and dramatic. A few tactical tweaks and decent additions and I'd be confident we will start conceding less.

No one is shit, but if we scored 3 goals, and then we let in 3, you can't blame the attack. There has been a few games where our defenders have been ball watching. The Palace goal, the defenders fucked up.
I remember when commentators use to say, I would hate for Liverpool to go 3 up, as they will close shop. Once we have a 2 goal cushion, I don't see the need to maintain a high line, why not 'close shop'? start passing the ball around tikki-takka style. Let's see if Slot does that. Looking at stats, we are not too far away from the Arse and Man City. 100% agree with @keniget our players right now lack chemistry
We were doing that Tiki Taka control shit and then KLOPP put on his gung ho merchants.

Back
Top Bottom