• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Depression

My teenage daughter is in a bad way with depression, and it has been such a tough time. It has also been incredibly tough getting her any kind of counselling.

Sorry to hear that Doc and, though some decry the idea, I make no apols.for offering thoughts and prayers.

My goddaughter, who's in her late 20s, has had a similar problem relatively recently but seems to be coming through it. If you'd like me to consult her for suggestions, advice or whatever, just whistle.

I'm quite the 'doomer' these days...

It was always obvious that with our stubborn refusal to take meaningful action, the climate situation was going to get pretty ugly - but I thought it would be the next generation or the one after that would have to deal with it.

Now it's looking increasingly likely that things will start to collapse in our lifetimes...maybe as early as 2040?
Sorry to bring things down even further, I reckon it'll be closer to 2030 the way things are going.

Anyway, I believe I hit the sweet spot when I was younger and out getting hammered. Everyone had a mobile so if you got lost you could find your mates again but there was no smartphones and social media. Also I grew up in Belfast and turned 18 just as the peace process was hitting its stride, the place was optimistic and new bars etc were opening up so there was usually somewhere to go. Ah, the good old days.

Now I'm depressed.

My teenage daughter is in a bad way with depression, and it has been such a tough time. It has also been incredibly tough getting her any kind of counselling.
I am only seeing this now mate and I am really sorry to read it.
We went through a lot of troubled worrisome times with our younger teenage lad, (looong looong story) who is now in his twenties and in a much better space.
One of the better pieces of advise I got was that you don't have to know how to solve their issues, just try and be there to listen to them talk about it.
Best wishes pal.

Obviously i'm gonna say Jesus is the answer, but Count's right.

If possible refrain from giving advice, do NOT preach (gosh, i hate that too !), just be present. Be there for them and love them, no matter what happens. And learn to listen, even if they go on and on and on about how much doom and gloom their world and future looks like.

Depression is a horrible, horrible feeling. Wouldn't want to wish this even on my worst enemy.

Back
Top Bottom