• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Does he have a point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
I'd argue the scouting department was simply let down by Rodgers. We saw Sturridge and Coutinho were underappreciated, and made them stars. Players like Aspas and Alberto who were under utilised went on to do great things after leaving us, Aspas is a La Liga legend.

The reason I posted this is because I've actually never seen anyone make that argument before and it kinda got me thinking, does he have a point?

I’m by no means a Rodgers fan but fuck that first sentence and fuck the scouting department.

Oh and how were Sturridge and Coutinho ever “under appreciated” exactly? Load of absolute toffee waffle.

Edit: At their former clubs he means? Then fair enough.

I’m by no means a Rodgers fan but fuck that first sentence and fuck the scouting department.

Oh and how were Sturridge and Coutinho ever “under appreciated” exactly? Load of absolute toffee waffle.

Edit: At their former clubs he means? Then fair enough.
Yes what your edit says

The bit you highlighted out doesn’t give a full transcript so we have no idea what he’s replying to or in what context.

The same scouting setup was seen as an absolute joke before Klopp, with constant agrument which flop was bought by Rodgers or the transfer commitee.

Although Klopp has some faults for sure, the fact that we signed Nunez and then Gakpo, completely different players for the same position a few months apart, just doesn't add up. It's like there are disagreements internally, and indecision about what the tactics should be

Last edited:
Whoever is culpable of lack of planning and poor transfer strategies and processes, the no DOF and the instability in our football admin set up is a sign of inner turmoil. It took ages to just sign a club doctor(!). It needs sorting. Edwards leaving, then Ward, and now a random in charge short-term.
Certainly not the Liverpool Way.
We need a top DOF who of course can have a good working relationship with the manager, but who is not a "yes-man" and has confidence and authority to also disagree with such a reputable manager.

I’m starting to get the feeling Klopp is a big problem in this. Going back to the who Henderson contract saga. There has been no real direction within the club for a long long time. If Klopp wields too much power no DoF will work with him.

When we were one of the top teams in Europe, we didn't strengthen the team. That is just so poor.

This thread is mad.
Pre Klopp, we won 1 league cup with FSG managed structure, post Klopp let’s see…

But one things is for sure, Klopp is the most important person at the club and his voice rightly so should be the loudest. DOF are required but overrated, if we have the begging bowl out trying to be a top 4 club but also have no money, pointless expecting an all powerful DOF to change this.

I don’t honestly think it’s down to just Klopp being too powerful either, since Edwards left, he hasn’t taken a new role up despite I would imagine had of big offers. Maybe working LFC as a DOF takes too much out of a person especially for future appetite elsewhere.

Last edited:
Klopp is the glue holding all this together. If he were to leave with FSG as our owners we would dwindle back down to the Hodgson area.
Yes, he should have a top DoF making decisions and being responsible for football operations. But seeing as the level we are at is Schmadtke and the investment is close to none, then we are still reliant on Klopp continuing to perform miracles.

Neville was just poking sticks knowing that Carragher who is an emotional type will quickly loses sight of the argument and rant. That said, Carragher’s original point about the difference between the Rodgers and the Klopp’s eras with the same scouting team stands.

The breakdown, in my view, came about when the analytics team tried moving on players who were clearly declining. Klopp wanted to hold onto them. The same apparently happened at Dortmund with an ageing team sliding down the table in Klopp’s final season there? That team has now left and we’re scrambling around like idiots.

Klopp was right, though, about our scouting’s needing to be more creative. For a team that knows it needs to sell before it buys why do we perennially wait for players who have only proved themselves in the top leagues? I mean Caicedo only played one season here and is now being valued at £100 million, we’re being quoted £50 million for a 19 year old who has only played 38 league games …
!

Last edited:
Oh you need to try SwiftKey it's absolutely hilarious - I learn so many new places around the world with amazing irrelevance or historical figures that have absolutely no context to the sentence I'm writing. Such fun.
I tried it and it was probably the first time I’ve said to myself “I’m too old to learn how to use this shit”

Neville was just poking sticks knowing that Carragher who is an emotional type will quickly loses sight of the argument and rant. That said, Carragher’s original point about the difference between the Rodgers and the Klopp’s eras with the same scouting team stands.

The breakdown, in my view, came about when the analytics team tried moving on players who were clearly declining. Klopp wanted to hold onto them. The same apparently happened at Dortmund with an ageing team sliding down the table in Klopp’s final season there? That team has now left and we’re scrambling around like idiots.

Klopp was right, though, about our scouting’s needing to be more creative. For a team that knows it needs to sell before it buys why do we perennially wait for players who have only proved themselves in the top leagues? I mean Caicedo only played one season here and is now being valued at £100 million, we’re being quoted £50 million for a 19 year old who has only played 38 league games …
!
I think this is it. Could Klopp be micro managing the whole club from top to bottom? He has the best intentions but may need that (outside of the playing staff) council to realise where the squad really is rather than father protecting figure he seems to be. Ive worked under micro managers and it doesn’t work. Senior people in any organisation need to trust their team and beyond to be capable with their jobs.

We do need to be more creative, but we are a victim of our own success. We have to pay big club tax in most of our deals. Think of Lavia, Caicedo or Rice. Would any of those players be going for such fees if it was Brighton/Wolves/Palace etc were the buying club? I don’t think so.

Players like Alberto and Aspas were not a success in the Premier League, which is a factor here.

There was no harmony between the recruitment team and Rodgers. It's easy to take one side and blame the other, but ultimately it's up to the CEO and the board to hire a manager in line with how we want the club to play and ensure that remains constant. Rodgers may have been to begin with, but when he was coming under increasing pressure, he wanted to rely on the prem-proven signings route to provide some security over his future. At the same time, he lacked imagination or understanding of how to successfully incorporate Firmino into the side. Both sides were culpable to an extent, but it felt more like a top-down strategy failure as FSG tried to get up to grips with running a football club.

The sorts of compromises we allowed Rodgers should never have been agreed to by the club - it led to a two-tiered approach to targets and then it just got messy. Logically speaking the club should have binned off Rodgers at this point, but I suspect we had an eye on Klopp and it was not worth the upheaval.

Players like Alberto and Aspas were not a success in the Premier League, which is a factor here.

There was no harmony between the recruitment team and Rodgers. It's easy to take one side and blame the other, but ultimately it stems from FSG hiring a manager in line with how we want the club to play and ensuring that remains constant. Rodgers may have been, to begin with, but when he was coming under increasing pressure, he wanted to rely on the Prem has proven signings route to provide some security over his future and lacked imagination or understanding of how to successfully incorporate Firmino into the side. Both sides were culpable to an extent, but it felt more like a top-down strategy failure as FSG tried to get up to grips with running a football club.

The sorts of compromises we allowed Rodgers should never have been agreed to by the club - it led to a two-tiered approach to targets and then it just got messy. Logically speaking the club should have binned off Rodgers at this point, but I suspect we had an eye on Klopp and it was not worth the upheaval.
Are you suggesting the club is willing to wait for the right target?

The problem we have as a club is that a manager like Klopp ultimately realizes he's on his own (with his coaching staff) to a degree. The owners don't give a fuck. It would appear that most key technical staff worth their salt have fucked off. And that's when things go wrong... because the manager then figures he needs to take things into his own hands.

Why does it not happen at City with that egomaniac Pep? Because he can trust those around / above him.

As for the reason this thread started... I have zero interest in anything Carra or his SSN chums have to say.

Klopp may have a slight underappreciation of youthful legs, versus the power of belief with respect to his sales, but we have an odd argument emerging here now. Klopp is in control of too much, and his power is unchecked. In addition, his loyalty to his players is undying and he can't countenance any of them leaving. Meanwhile, we have five outgoing midfielders, in the most aggressive rebuild I've ever seen. So which is it?

The worry on the forum is that we won't replace outgoing players adequately with a modest budget. I think that's been Klopp's worry for the last couple seasons.

Regarding aspas et al: Looking at players in different contexts and expecting them to perform the same in a different league and in a different team is such a stupid view of this game.

Klopp may have a slight underappreciation of youthful legs, versus the power of belief with respect to his sales, but we have an odd argument emerging here now. Klopp is in control of too much, and his power is unchecked. In addition, his loyalty to his players is undying and he can't countenance any of them leaving. Meanwhile, we have five outgoing midfielders, in the most aggressive rebuild I've ever seen. So which is it?

The worry on the forum is that we won't replace outgoing players adequately with a modest budget. I think that's been Klopp's worry for the last couple seasons.

Regarding aspas et al: Looking at players in different contexts and expecting them to perform the same in a different league and in a different team is such a stupid view of this game.

I've said this recently, but you can't blame him for keeping hold of old heads, when our transfer policy is so flaky with little room for error or manoeuvre, his hand has been forced too many times and that's how he's had to operate. Now we've lost too many players simply because those kind of offers are hard to come by and impossible to pass up, again given our set up. He can't win. If we get a big offer for a player we will lose them, and that's how we then "spend big", if we don't get that kind of money coming in then money is tight and he has to persevere with players longer than he should.

Regardless of power between the owners, the DoF and the manager, it's getting a bit overlooked just how up against it Klopp has been and how lucky we are that he's had the resilience and determination to stick at it and not throw the towel in.

Klopp wanted Mane to stay and Milner and Hendo and Keita ... if he'd have had his way the average age of our squad would be over 30 !
Let's not begin to believe this overhaul is Klopp's doing, what we have is a forced revolution but I'm thankful it's Klopp that has to oversee it.

Yes without the Saudi offers this rebuild would be less of an overhaul and more of a minor remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom