• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

England 199-5 after day 1 in Nagpur

Portly

Brittunculus
I don't think anybody has a clue whether England have had a good, bad or indifferent day until it's India's turn to bat on this very dead wicket. 423 dot balls in the day's play - I'm glad I didn't get up at 3.00 a.m. to watch this one!

Debutant Joe Root and Matt Prior are steadying the ship. Root opens for Yorkshire so he has done well coming in at number 6. Indian debutant bowler Jadeja has taken a couple of wickets.

Was going to get up early as well but couldn't be bothered in the end. From the bits i've seen it looks like the majority of the England wickets fell to poor decision making by the batsmen. It also looks difficult to score quickly on given the number of dots as you've said plus the slow outfield...can't see how this can suit India who'll need to score quickly to force a result

The Indian batsmen have more experience of playing on this type of wicket, but that still doesn't make it easy. It's a pity Finn has had to go home with an injury. Bresnan looked very innocuous in Ahmedabad.

I agree that most of the England wickets were down to errors by the batsmen with the glaring exception of Cook who was the victim of a very bad LBW decision - outside the line AND missing the stumps! Who knows what the situation would be now if that hadn't happened?

Cook's was a shocker and think without that he'd have ground out at least another 50 if not more with his loving of the attritional games

Couldn't agree more about Finn and would have liked to see Meaker given a game over Bresnan given his extra speed but that would go against the safety first option we seem to take with our bowling attack. Hopefully Bresnan's ability to reverse the ball will be a factor

A terribly slow wicket...the kind of which that can kill interest in Test cricket.

Slow + low bounce + flat = Nothing eventful can come out of this match...

I havent followed this series as well as i would have liked too....England have played very well, Cook especially has lead well from the front. India are in a rebuilding phase with their batting order, and as ever they are struggling with the threadbare bowling resources. But all considered it still should have been an evenly contested series.

What swung it in England's favor was the attitude of Indian cricketers. When they lost in England, they started saying "We will see you in India" well before the third test itself. (Gambhir being the main culprit. He is used to be a better sport than that.....he got where he is with hard work, and that's ) I'm actually happy to see them humiliated. They will learn....

Nothing eventful....India 71-4 replying to 330. Slow pitch, but exciting game. Anderson bowling like a demon, and getting the ball to behave unpredictably.

Following the action on tesxt this morning as got to work in the office rather than at home and definitely sounds like Anderson is on a major roll. He really has developed into an amazing bowler over the last few years and I genuinely think he'll overtake Beefy and be the 1st englishman to 400 test wickets provided he can stay injury free

Jimmy Anderson was swinging the ball both ways. The ball that bowled Tendulkar was a beast.

Good day for England, but premature to write off India. 2 good batsmen at the crease, Jadeja could have been picked for his batting alone, and Ashwin has had a very successful series. This game could easily swing the other way. First session on the third day could be crucial.

It will be a tighter finish than second and third test, but i doubt India are in this game all that much.

This is a very young team if you take Sachin, Sehwag, Dhoni and Gambhir out.... And the seniors are not pulling their weight.

At my advanced age I feel I need my beauty sleep, so the best as I can do is switch on Test Match Special on my alarm clock radio in the small hours, and then drift off to sleep again. This morning, once I had made my porridge and cup of coffee, I switched on Sky Sports on the TV at around 10.00 just in time to see Swann get Kohli out LBW. The wickets of Dhoni, Jadeja and Chawla followed in quick succession. I felt a bit guilty. I am not giving 110% for the lads. If I had switched on my TV at 3.30 a.m., would things had turned out differently for England?

Series win in India after 28 years. Pits it's against the shittest indian team for around a decade and a half.

Any Indian team is difficult to beat on their home territory! Touring sides rarely achive a series win.

I don't think anyone should take anything away from England. Many a pundit had England down to be whitewashed in this series after the first defeat. They showed bags of character.

This series win should be ranked alongside any of this teams recent acheivements imo.

Fantastic win and one i personally didn't think we had a chance of pulling off.

Any Indian team is difficult to beat on their home territory! Touring sides rarely achive a series win.

True, although historically this has been due to non-result pitches and in recent history an amazing Indian batting line-up. This time around the batting line-up is the worst in 20 years and groundsman have, for some strange reason, created result pitches, forgetting that England have a better attack.

I think Gambhir, Sehwag, Pujara, Tendulkar, Kohli, Yuvraj/Jadeja, Dhoni, Ashwin is very, very strong. There was just too little from the majority this series.

I think Gambhir, Sehwag, Pujara, Tendulkar, Kohli, Yuvraj/Jadeja, Dhoni, Ashwin is very, very strong. There was just too little from the majority this series.

There has been very little from that bunch for 5 years, Tendulkar, in my mind the greatest batsman ever and Sehwag have been way past their best for 3-4 years at least. Pujara and possibly Kohli have done well but the Indian team has lost a ton of great batsman either through retirement or loss of perm (due to playing on too long).

Age has also caught up with their bowling attack.

It's not a 'bad' achievement by England, but let's put it in context, namely they have beaten the worst Indian team that I can remember in the last 15 or so years.

I thought i read the other day that Sachin averaged close to 60 over the last 5 years with Sehwag around the 50 mark (I could be wrong).

Yes - I wouldn't necesarily say that Sehwag was past his best. He's always been a little inconsistent - absolutely brilliant on his day. Tendulkar may be past his best, but version 2a has still been one of the world's best 5. Their contribution must have been disappointing, but moreso for me were Gambhir, who has not yet quite reached the standards I think he can, and also Kohli, who, final innings notwithstanding, had a very disappointing series just when it looked like he was about to fulfil all the promise seen in the shorter form of the game.

At my advanced age I feel I need my beauty sleep, so the best as I can do is switch on Test Match Special on my alarm clock radio in the small hours, and then drift off to sleep again. This morning, once I had made my porridge and cup of coffee, I switched on Sky Sports on the TV at around 10.00 just in time to see Swann get Kohli out LBW. The wickets of Dhoni, Jadeja and Chawla followed in quick succession. I felt a bit guilty. I am not giving 110% for the lads. If I had switched on my TV at 3.30 a.m., would things had turned out differently for England?
I'm a bit of a cricket nut to be honest. I go often and have even seen them at the SCG and the MCG. I was planning on making a special trip to see the England on their next tour of the Caribbean (although with our first nipper on the way that's now been scuppered) I've been waking up early to watch or listen to England for nearly 20 years now. I must admit though this last time was a trial. I totally screwed up my body clock - I've only just recovered. Worth it though - What an achievement!

I totally screwed up my body clock - I've only just recovered. Worth it though - What an achievement!

LOL I did exactly the same thing last time England were in Australia. The coverage usually starts around midnight and you feel compelled to stick with it all through the night. I managed a couple of tests doing this, but eventually realised I was feeling quite ill and had to give up.

LOL I did exactly the same thing last time England were in Australia. The coverage usually starts around midnight and you feel compelled to stick with it all through the night. I managed a couple of tests doing this, but eventually realised I was feeling quite ill and had to give up.
I'm liking this because I feel an empathy with you Portly. I've been following your posts for many a year now and you always seem a sage sort. If ever our paths cross I'd love to buy you a beer and maybe chat about cricket. If (like me) I predict we have much to banter about. :)

Thanks Red Astaire! It would indeed be good to chat to a soul-mate. ;)
Just watch out for what he calls you mate.
He has some outlandish ideas when it comes to who he thinks people looks like

Back
Top Bottom