• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Enrique the enigma...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's started doing that very powerful diagonal run from the wing into the centre before releasing the ball to Suarez or Sterling that's really interesting. It creates masses of space all over the place as it seems to confuse about six opponents at a time and it worked superbly for the second goal.

I'm far from convinced.

Using your strength and speed to win the ball back is great but not losing it in the first place is even better. He just seems to pick and choose when he wants to have awareness of his team-mates around him or when to try and beat a player (or two) for no real reason first before passing.
Cheer up! Enrique has been poor for a long time, and then suddenly he has a good game. This makes us happy, yay! No one said he was the Messiah, that takes at least 3 games I think.

His pace and strength have always been as good as any in the league. He still remains, for the most part, an exasperatingly unintelligent user of the ball. One swallow doesn't make a summer and all that. Regardless of what he did yesterday, I won't be up for him playing at left-wing again. I suspect Rodgers will though, and sooner rather than later we'll find out that's it actually a pretty shit idea.

He's 1 of a few players in our squad playing to his potential of late. If the rest did that we would be top.

Here's Rodgers on Enrique after the game:
If you look at Gareth Bale he played at left-back and then moved forward and showed his strengths. Jose is someone I think can do that role with his power and pace. I said to him yesterday him and Raheem can get goals if they get (positionally) inside the frame of the goal. If you watch the replay he makes up a lot of ground to get in there and anticipate the rebound.
So I think that makes it official. Jose Enrique is no longer a full-back at LFC. For Rodgers, he is a wide midfielder/winger, playing on the opposite flank of Sterling and expected to create and score goals. Wow, did anyone see this coming? I certainly didn't!

But I think I can understand Brendan's reasoning: Enrique loves to take on opposition players, loves individual duels and is generally very good at them. But that's a quality of an attacker, not a defender. Attackers take players on, defenders play it safe. An attacker tries to create chaos and unpredictability, a defender tries to create order and structure. In Brendan's judgement, Enrique belongs on the Chaos team.

How good of an attacker is Enrique? I guess we'll have to find that out. 1 and 1/3 of a game he's played at this position is a small sample. But in those 120 minutes he already has more goals and assists than Downing over his whole Liverpool career. And the attacking trio Suarez-Sterling-Enrique is the first one we've had this season that shows any real chemistry.

First goal: Sterling-Suarez
Second goal: Enrique-Suarez
Third goal: Suarez-Sterling-Enrique

That's chemistry you can see on the scoresheet.

"inside the frame of the goal"? "7 and a halves". "False 9s". Speak ENGLISH man!

His team talks must be like this:

Joe Allen must act as the Kenneth Williams translator.

He's earned his start against Spurs, that'll be a big test for him. Same team but Henderson in for Suso.

Screen_Shot_2012_11_19_at_5_47_41_PM.png

Holy shit those videos were awesome. Maybe Brendan has comeacross a new plan for muscle head now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom