• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

European Super League

Status
Not open for further replies.
175520567_1648042575397150_1293131851829485578_n.jpg

Is this inception? What timeline am I living in now whereby Mancity, Chelsea and PSG are seen as the moral White Knight heroes and Liverpool are part of the Dirty Dozen?

and for your owners I bet ? - despite Perez's dig at Klopp - I hope they fuck over City/Chelsea should City make it to the final over PSG, and I hope PSG also get fucked off by Real Madrid. I am all for the aristocracy of the European leagues.

I agree with a 'salary cap', and then luxury taxes for those who go over (like baseball) - but you cannot have all clubs spending the 'same' - unless you create a system like the NFL.

Would laugh my tits of if Boris knew already

Of course he knew, judged the reaction and jumped out on the right side when the shit hit the fan.

There's no way Woodward didn't mention this four days before it dropped. It's classic Bojo.

I agree with a 'salary cap', and then luxury taxes for those who go over (like baseball) - but you cannot have all clubs spending the 'same' - unless you create a system like the NFL.

A salary cap will only work if its implemented in all the leagues in Europe. If its just in the Premier league, you wont attract the best players anymore.

Juventus and Real Madrid are set to be banned from next seasons Champions League over their role in the failed European Super League.
That's UEFA's role.
Fucking hell.

Juventus and Real Madrid are set to be banned from next seasons Champions League over their role in the failed European Super League.
That's UEFA's role.
Fucking hell.
And what if Real win it this season? Thought the champions always get to defend the title?

That's UEFA's role.
Fucking hell.
Hmm.. They'll appeal it and get a slap on the wrists. There's no way UEFA would ban Real, surely?

A salary cap will only work if its implemented in all the leagues in Europe. If its just in the Premier league, you wont attract the best players anymore.

That's the same argument for thr Super League, though. If these clubs aren't able to bring in unlimited revenue, they can't compete at the top levels.

As supporters we need to choose what we value. It is unlikely all thr major leagues will simultaneously institute caps. Someone will have to go first and risk a talent squeeze.

That's the same argument for thr Super League, though. If these clubs aren't able to bring in unlimited revenue, they can't compete at the top levels.

As supporters we need to choose what we value. It is unlikely all thr major leagues will simultaneously institute caps. Someone will have to go first and risk a talent squeeze.

Thats the thing though, no league will get its members to accept going first.

Klopp yet to receive Super League apology from Liverpool hierarchy
By The Athletic Staff
6 Comments
T5r5gVdGc12x_qaehzBK6aoS8_original.jpg

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has revealed club owner John Henry hasn’t contacted him personally to apologise for his decision to join the breakaway Super League.

Klopp hopes, however, that the bond between the club and its supporters may grow “even stronger” after a widespread backlash led to Liverpool reversing their decision to sign up to the controversial Super League proposal.

The 53-year-old was also critical of the new Champions League format and was aggrieved that managers, players and fans are “never consulted” about such decisions.
What did Klopp say about the Liverpool owner?

In response to whether he had received an apology from Henry, Klopp said: “I don’t think it’s necessary. I was mentioned in the apology and so was the team. That was personal enough for me.”

“I have known the owners for six years. I know there were some moments when they might not have made the right decision, this time for sure. But it doesn’t change things for me, I prefer to deal with problems with people I know.”

Speaking about the relationship between the club and fans, he said: “I really hope the bond between us and our supporters might even get stronger and that we don’t discuss the bad decisions of the past, I just don’t understand life like this.

“They’re good people, I know the owners, I know they’re not perfect, like I’m not perfect, but they are not bad people.”
And what about the Champions League?

On Monday, UEFA confirmed their post-2024 Champions League reforms which will completely alter the format of the competition.

Klopp, however, was vocal in his opposition to the changes: “So yes the Super League is off the table, good – very good – but the new Champions League is not ‘Oh great, what’s that, let’s do that’ – they showed it to me, they told me the whole idea and I said I don’t like it because there are 10 games instead of six.

“I have no idea where we shall put them in. Maybe UEFA will ask for cup competitions to get cancelled in England, or we only have 18 teams in the league. You tell that to the Premier League and they will say ‘No way’. The EFL will say ‘No way’.

“The only people who never get asked are the coaches, the players, the supporters. We are already on the edge and believe me, all coaches think the same.

“UEFA didn’t ask us, the Super League inventors didn’t ask us. Nobody asked us, always just play more games.

“We don’t get asked, we just have to deliver.”
What’s the latest on the Super League?

The Super League project already appears to be in tatters.

Yet, Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, who was the driving force behind the breakaway tournament, remains defiant and told Spanish radio program El Larguero that the Super League is “not dead”.

“We are going to keep working,” he said. “We are looking for ways of getting this done. It would be a shame not to get it done.”

Similarly, Barcelona president Joan Laporta labelled the project as “absolutely necessary” and the club said it would have been a “historical error” to not have joined.

Without the support of 8 of the ‘founding members’ — who have withdrawn — as well as AC Milan and Juventus acknowledging the project’s failures, the chances of the proposed Super League coming to fruition now seem next to none.

Despite its rapid disintegration, however, various stakeholders are continuing to demand greater regulation and control against club owners to prevent further breakaway attempts from the most powerful clubs.

Given the length of time it took the owners to give Klopp the centre back he needed... I’d imagine the apology will not be given any time soon.

[article]
Gian Piero Gasperini reveals how genuinely distraught he was at the Super League. ‘On Monday, I was convinced everything was over. Why do we bother playing?’

La Dea are comfortably top scorers in Serie A this season with 78 goals in 33 rounds, blowing 10-man Bologna away 5-0 in Bergamo this evening.

“We know there are no easy games in Serie A. Bologna have caused many teams a lot of problems, we saw them play with a three-man defence against Roma and it was one of the options we prepared for,” the coach told Sky Sport Italia.

“We were a little frenetic at the start, and we’ve been making a lot of pretty simple mistakes, as we’re in a rush to make the pass or have a shot. I realised if we managed to calm down a bit, we’d get back to normal.”

Awaiting Milan’s trip to Lazio, Atalanta temporarily go into second place on 68 points, two clear of Juventus in fourth.

“I don’t know how many points we’ll need, but if we go in front, then the others will have to hope we mess up in order to get caught. Our destiny is in our hands, it’s difficult, but we’ve set ourselves this target and we’ll see what happens.”

Ruslan Malinovskyi is on extraordinary form at the moment and again tonight provided goals and assists.

“Mali came here as a midfielder, but over time I asked him to evolve his role to something very similar to Josip Ilicic. He struggled a little at first, but with time he found his position. Now he is consistently connected to the attacking moves, albeit as an atypical forward.

“He had some issues with COVID and then a hernia, but now that he’s back to full fitness, he’s having an extraordinary campaign.”

With Atalanta in second place, it’s worth remembering in the week that the Super League was announced and then abandoned, that the tiny club from Bergamo has one of the lowest salary bills in Serie A.

“This has been the case since the first year. We sold many players, because when the bigger clubs arrived, they would offer seven, eight even 10 times the wages we could give them.

“Over time, Atalanta increased their budget, but the Percassi family cannot ever pay €50m for a player or offer the wages of bigger clubs. We increased the revenue and could therefore spend more, but there will never be debt here.”

“We’re hardly alone, Bayern Munich have no debts and they won everything.”

Gasperini revealed how genuinely upset and depressed he was when the Super League was announced a week ago.

“Fortunately, they changed their minds in England, otherwise there was the genuine risk we’d have been playing here for no reason. It would’ve been irrelevant, just to save 12 clubs.

“This is a sport loved all over the world because anyone can play and win. There are millions of fans who support those 12 clubs, I know that, but if someone pulls the plug on the revenue, nobody is going to save Atalanta. It’ll fold. Nobody will come to rescue us, we’re small fry.

“On Monday, I was convinced everything was over. The season is over, why do we bother playing? To qualify for a Champions League, so our dream of playing with Real Madrid, Liverpool and PSG again is all over, unless they invite us? As if they would…”

[/article]

Liverpool agree to meet club’s fans after Super League backlash
By James Pearce
0 Comments
jEfnVIyuzcsO_DMCNTZ6DtRC8_1440x.960.jpg

Liverpool have agreed to meet with fans following the widespread backlash provoked by their involvement with the Super League.

CEO Billy Hogan has responded to Liverpool’s supporters trust's statement and will meet with the fans group in the coming days.

The club was one of the 12 ‘founding members’ of the failed Super League proposals, but withdrew 48 hours later along with the other five English clubs after significant criticism from the world of football.

Owner John W Henry issued an apology to all Liverpool supporters last Wednesday and said he was “alone responsible for the unnecessary negativity brought forward over the past couple of days.”

What has happened?

The Liverpool supporters trust, Spirit of Shankly (SOS), conducted a survey on what its members should do next after the Super League fallout.

The results of the vote showed 89 per cent of members believed SOS should be represented at board level and work with the club on a reform agenda. The group then wrote to the club stating their intentions.
What has been said?

Hogan responded in a letter, which the fans’ group posted on their Twitter page, stating: “I wanted to respond at the earliest possible opportunity for two reasons.

“Firstly, to restore good faith to our engagement process as quickly as possible and secondly, to underline the seriousness with which we are taking the current situation and the need for positive, meaningful change to occur.”

“It is positive that SOS has opted to re-engage with the club as it will allow the necessary conversations to take place, for views to be aired and, hopefully, for workable solutions to be found in keeping with the best interests of the club. In the spirit of your approach, I will seek to convene an initial meeting as soon as our diaries allow.”
How did Liverpool fans react last week?

Protests at Anfield were not as large as other Big Six stadiums but another Liverpool supporters’ group Spion Kop 1906 wrote an open letter to the club’s owners also demanding fan representation on the board.

The group urged for fans to be consulted to “prevent further shame and embarrassment on Liverpool Football Club”.

Spion Kop 1906 along with SOS also called for the removal of all their banners from the iconic Kop stand at Anfield the day after the Super League was announced.

They since agreed, however, that the banners remained for last Saturday’s home fixture against Newcastle United.
What happened with the Super League?

Last Sunday, a breakaway competition was announced with 12 participants: Atletico Madrid, Arsenal, Barcelona, Chelsea, Juventus, Inter, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Milan, Real Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur.

The project, led by Real president Florentino Perez, received backlash from UEFA, FIFA and national divisions and sparked protests outside stadiums in England.

Then, 48 hours after the initial announcement, news broke that Chelsea would be withdrawing from the project. This was followed by formal withdrawals from City, Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Tottenham and finally Chelsea themselves.

The following day, Atletico Madrid and Inter walked away from the Super League, with AC Milan and Juventus also issuing statements distancing themselves from the proposals in its current form.
Where are we now?

The Super League project appears to be in disarray after the withdrawal of at least eight of the 12 founding members.

And yet, Perez told Spanish radio El Larguero that the Super League is “not dead”.

“We are going to keep working,” he said. “We are looking for ways of getting this done. It would be a shame not to get it done.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom