• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

FA Cup 3rd Round

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolves XI - Ruddy Saiss Coady Kilman Doherty Dendoncker Neves Vinagre Traore Neto Ashley-Seal

Man Scum XI - Romero Young Lindelof Maguire Williams Matic Pereira Mata James Chong Greenwood

Wolves probably the stronger side, gotta fancy them especially at home.

Wolves all over United really.

Great result for Fulham. Belting goals. Love watching matches from Craven Cottage due to the camera angle.

Bit of a bore this.

I have no idea how Pereira is a premier league footballer.

40m for Joelinton is 1 of the worst transfers of the decade.

Reminded me of this:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...s-impossible-hold-Rafa-Benitez-Newcastle.html
[article]Ashley claims the club suspected there would be problems with the Benitez negotiation when he declined to sign off on the £40m deal for new striker Joelinton in February. As manager, Benitez had the final say on all transfers, but would not give the go-ahead on Joelinton even though Newcastle had the fee and personal terms agreed, and the player had passed a medical.

Ashley revealed: 'We delivered Rafa's number one target in January, Miguel Almiron, but Hoffenheim wouldn't sell Joelinton. Then in February they said we could get him early, but it would cost £40m. He was a name we had discussed with Rafa, and our recruitment people had him top of their list. I thought it was one of those that would keep drifting away, but no, we had it done.

'I was so excited to tell Rafa we've got another one coming, but when Lee Charnley, our managing director, had the conversation, his view was that he didn't want to commit to the transfer until he knew what his position was with the club next season. And I didn't get that.
Is this the bloke who had given it to me for the last 12 months?

'Proper given me bucketfuls – which I may or may not deserve, but I don't deserve it on this one, because I've done it. I've got his first choice, Almiron, and this other player who was so exciting we thought he'd be out of our range. When we first sat down with Rafa, we didn't think we would pay this much for a player. We'd never done that before.

'From there, the relationship deteriorated very quickly. I was personally very disappointed, and that's putting it politely. I was freaked out. I'm thinking, "I clearly don't understand anything about football" because I'm all for celebrating and going mad and suddenly it's, "No – you've got to sort my deal out first." So we had another few weeks of correspondence and then it wasn't just his deal, it was that he thought the £40m for Joelinton wasn't worth it. It's too much and the club shouldn't spend it.

'And very occasionally, I get to be me in this world. So here's the deal. I'll pay £20m of it personally. Nothing to do with the club. Above and beyond the budget. Rafa valued him at £20m. So that's what would come out of the club budget. The rest, £23m – I'll pay. And he still didn't sign it off. Looking back, I think he knew for a long time he was going to China because it was like we couldn't do anything. Joelinton was the test.

'Why on earth would you not want that? As a football manager, with all the things you have said, why wouldn't you want Joelinton? It wasn't even as if it was him or Salomon Rondon. And we told him that. We just wanted Joelinton secured.'

Newcastle have a record of their correspondence with Benitez which includes the openness to an eight-year deal, and a pledge of £20m to improve training facilities. There is a revised financial offer in June and talk of a three-year contract. It is only on June 23 at 12.45pm that Benitez announces he will not be signing a new deal.

'He did an amazing job,' insists Ashley. 'Promoted, first year tenth, 44 points – next year, 45 points. Now we've got a solid base to build up and the firepower to have a go. "Right Rafa, it's over to you – hold on, he's gone. Where's he disappeared to? What's happened there?"

'Rafa talked about things he knew we couldn't do and then, when we were in a position to finally do them, and launch the big surprise – no. It's not the money he asked for that upsets me. What if we hadn't got Joelinton? People don't realise Rafa had the say and we couldn't conclude the deal while he was still our manager. When he left he knew we were signing Joelinton. So he can't say we lacked ambition.

'I'm saying this now because you have to draw a line. Otherwise people are entitled to keep asking – August, September, October, November, why did Rafa leave? I'm not here to defend myself. I'm here to defend Newcastle United; because Newcastle United could not have done any more to keep Rafa Benitez. I can look anyone in the eye and say that. It was impossible to do more.'[/article]

Wtf was Dendoncker doing there?

VAR checks pen.....No decision, hmm...very silly from the belgian.

No one watching the city port Vale match?

Have been doing the kids tea & just checked the scores so expected to see some chat about that match too.

Off-topic, but I watched the 1st half of Athletico Madrid vs Levante. Things could change between now and mid-February, but on current form we have nothing to worry about. They are leading 2:1, but Levante had the better of the play, their wings are incredibly slow, Joao Felix’s confidence looks shot and defense doesn’t look impenetrable either. Using long balls into Morata as target man as the main attacking strategy is unlikely to be effective against a Van Dijk-marshaled defense. I like the DM, Thomas Partey and Oblak, that’s about it.

Jimenez on for Ashley Seal

Wolves started this 2nd half a bit better...Neto with a shot on target Romero stops

Last edited:
It's one of my favourite away grounds, not least because I've seen us win 5 games out of 5 over the years

Will always be a fave for me too as it's where I saw my first Premier League match, albeit as a neutral as Fulham played Villa. Beautiful location and facility.

United aren't very good. The only player who would get anywhere near our team is Rashford and maybe Wan-Bissaka if we needed to rest Trent

This hasn't been a great match but it's the only one on over here so fingers crossed Wolves will nab one and make it worth my while.

This hasn't been a great match but it's the only one on over here so fingers crossed Wolves will nab one and make it worth my while.

Huge lack of quality.

75 mins in and 2 shots on target all game.

This is what 5th and 6th muster up, what a shit advert for Prem football.

Doherty puts Wolves 1 up, but it ricochets off his arm into the net....goal disallowed.

Annoying, quality ball in.

Actually I think the replay date is right before United's game against us, if I'm not mistaken. Hoping for a draw now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom