• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Football streaming in the UK could become very difficult shortly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely the tipping point for what people are willing to pay to watch on tv is close, so I imagine people will simply not watch rather than pay the stupid BT and Sky prices.

That's not currently possible. Clubs, The Premier League or a rights holder cannot provide access for individual games alone. It's in the contract.

That's not to say that Sky/Virgin/BT cannot sell a more competitively priced online only option that isn't fucking awful quality (NowTV quality is absolutely pitiful compared to a premium streaming service), as long as they include a full package of games, & don't allow cherry picking.

The music industry had physical costs, manufacturing the CD's, packaging them, distributing them, having them stocked in stores. So by removing those costs, they can justify supplying the music at a lower price.

For the cunts like Sky, they have hardly any physical costs. The reason they're so expensive is because they're cunts, but also because they're overpaying for the product. It's up to the clubs to accept lower TV revenues, or take back the rights to their own games and stream them at a reasonable cost.

Surely the tipping point for what people are willing to pay to watch on tv is close, so I imagine people will simply not watch rather than pay the stupid BT and Sky prices.

Especially young people, who have far more entertaining things to do than waste a couple of hours staring at a game. They'd rather play on the xbox, or do their social media shit. The idea they'll pay hundreds of pounds for the pleasure isn't sustainable.

Especially young people, who have far more entertaining things to do than waste a couple of hours staring at a game. They'd rather play on the xbox, or do their social media shit. The idea they'll pay hundreds of pounds for the pleasure isn't sustainable.

It's not, which is why they're desperately peddling the 'product' to China, the Far East & the US. They know that the market here is going to die when us lot (80's kids & below basically) arent paying any more cos the newer generations arent prepared to pay as much for a myriad of reasons, so to avoid a bubble bursting situation they need to keep increasing overseas market costs.#

It's a limited sum game though, at some that cap will be be hit.

im not sure about the above ,I was at an industry meeting last year about media consumption and there were various stats for the home media bundle market . Something like 10% of males 16-24 have a sky + sub . I want to say it was single males , id imagine the same stat for couples et would be higher. I'll dig out the bumf I got from that day later. There's plenty of related stats that scare the balls off you , especially considering the moves google/ YouTube are making in the TV content market

It's not, which is why they're desperately peddling the 'product' to China, the Far East & the US. They know that the market here is going to die when us lot (80's kids & below basically) arent paying any more cos the newer generations arent prepared to pay as much for a myriad of reasons, so to avoid a bubble bursting situation they need to keep increasing overseas market costs.#

It's a limited sum game though, at some that cap will be be hit.

I would guess the Asian kids are even more into alternative entertainment then the kids here are. If I was Sky, I'd allow the new generations to stream football for free or very cheap cost, and hope to god they get addicted to the game. Then you can make revenues by advertising to them long after your little TV cartel has evaporated.

Bollocks. They just want everything to be free.

And if you can get it for nothing, the entire value exchange for content - be it journalism, music, film or television and sports broadcasting - is broken, or relies entirely on advertising and data.

Which has its own problems

I've alsways been slightly amazed and impressed that Sky and BT in the U.K. have managed to incorporate subscription and also advertising into their business model. In the US, paying for content via HBO or Netflix or whatever, is the value exchange, and there isn't an advertising aspect.

Netflix could add 2 billion a year to their revenues by allowing advertising. Obviously that would over time erode subscription (in terms of numbers and/or value) but it's still a big number

And if you can get it for nothing, the entire value exchange for content - be it journalism, music, film or television and sports broadcasting - is broken, or relies entirely on advertising and data.

I've alsways been slightly amazed and impressed that Sky and BT in the U.K. have managed to incorporate subscription and also advertising into their business model. In the US, paying for content via HBO or Netflix or whatever, is the value exchange, and there isn't an advertising aspect.

Netflix could add 2 billion a year to their revenues by allowing advertising. Obviously that would over time erode subscription (in terms of numbers and/or value) but it's still a big number
out of the Netflix originals , I've only seen house of cards which had sporadic product placement that most likely commanded a half decent wedge .

if they really plan on continuing massive budget programming id imagine thatd have to intensify,significantly, as they spoke often as know in their subs would rather pay more than sit through traditional advertising

It's hard to blame them. They're going to have to grow up and pay off our debts, which we ran up in order to avoid paying off the debt of our own predecessors. So they're paying off two lots of debt. We don't really have the moral right to charge young people for shit.

Ok really stupid question so they're targeting all the ISP's to assist with this.

What about the mobile networks. I mean I get 30GB a month allowance for tethering. What's to stop me using my phone as a hotspot and connecting my android box to it?

i'd probably pay a fiver a month for access to top notch streams for every premier league, fa, league cup. champions league game. That is fucking plenty of money. I'm not chipping in for some absolute footyball-cunt's 300,000 pound a week wages. fuck right off.

Ok really stupid question so they're targeting all the ISP's to assist with this.

What about the mobile networks. I mean I get 30GB a month allowance for tethering. What's to stop me using my phone as a hotspot and connecting my android box to it?

There's nothing stopping you doing that, currently. But, the big mobile providers will no doubt also get onboard with the blocking proposals.
Also, the connectivity from 4G isn't always the best with high ping times, packet loss, contention etc, and trying to watch a stream at 720 or more...
But you're ok do use your phone as a hotspot for now.

This is very true. I know loads of people who use free streams on kodi boxes or through their laptop. If I'm ever round at their house to watch a match I'll log into mine so I dont have to watch buffering pixelated shite, & they're always amazed how good it is compared to their free one.

However, when I tell them it's £7 a month (approx), they almost all decide to stick with their unreliable free ones. I find that utterly bizarre.

PPV is such a rip off though. I know of someone who can actually afford to pay Sky their extortionate monthly subscription, yet also has an enigma2 box & just uses it to buy access to the PPV fights for £2 a pop. As the box was £60 he realised that watching just two fights on it made him his money back.

What paid one should i be using ?

the vast majority of UK networks are either owned by a traditional isp or also act as one and therefore will be subservient to the same regs

Hmm.

None of the paid streaming sites allow you to use a vpn. Which makes sense at the moment, but should this start effecting them I presume that will change quickly.

For now I'm clinging to the hope that they'll be targeting the lowest hanging fruit. I reckon the majority of people watch free streams, & there's much less work to block them.

I was just about to sell my motorised satellite dish as I've no need now cos I use streams. I've just cancelled the ebay listing though, nice to have another option in case this starts taking effect.

Indeed, I'll be getting mine all sorted very soon FFF

I use Astrill.

Multiple user selected country options (important if, for example, you want to watch a BBC football video but can't because your VPN is based in the USA and BBC will only let British based viewers see their videos).

PIA VPN works a treat for me

So this new injunction started yesterday and no reports I've seen are saying blocks are in place.

I'd hazard a guess that it's going to take time before the 'Big 6' UK ISP's are ready to start blocking the streaming servers. Anyone who has worked for a large organisation knows how slowly things move.

I don't think the ISP's will want to start the blocking until all 6 are ready to do likewise. They'll fear their customers will switch to another ISP if they do it alone.

Seems odd to me, why ask for the date if they knew they wouldn't have it in place? The big isps helped bring this case in the first place.

That said, if I were doing this with a court induction giving me responsibility I'd start very very slowly, one or two servers at a time & gradually build up, cos the last thing I'd want is to take a hundred servers offline & get bad press & publicity as a few of them had other sites on them or something.

Think it's in placed in some areas, I couldn't get any streams to work through HDTV on kodi, it withdxa treat normally.

Premier League launches major fightback against illegal streaming
• As official TV audiences decline the Premier League is taking action
• Police forces across the UK and abroad are collaborating with ISPs

2620.jpg

A television steadycam films a Premier League match being shown live. Photograph: Michael Regan/Getty Images
  • View more sharing options
Shares

Paul MacInnes
Wednesday 29 March 2017 20.38 BSTLast modified on Thursday 30 March 2017 09.16 BST
The Premier League has launched its biggest crackdown on piracy with a series of moves to combat illegal streaming, in light of fears that widespread availability of new consumer-friendly devices could fatally undermine its business model.
The streaming of live football through the internet, bypassing companies such as Sky who have paid for the broadcast rights, has long been a problem for the game’s governing bodies. What was once a minority activity, available only to those with digital skills and knowledge of the more shadowy parts of the internet, has in the past few years become mainstream. Estimates at the number of piracy-enabled devices in the UK, either apps or so‑called ‘Kodi boxes’, reach the hundreds of thousands.
2844.jpg

For the good of us all, it is imperative that Argentina improve

Read more
As official TV audiences decline, the Premier League has begun to fight back, engaging with police forces across the UK and abroad and collaborating with internet service providers (ISPs) as it seeks to protect its lucrative intellectual property before bidding begins next year on a new broadcast deal.
The list of actions initiated by the Premier League this year include a series of raids across the north-west at the beginning of February in which five people were arrested in connection with the sale and distribution of ‘Kodi boxes’. Two weeks ago a man from Hartlepool was given a suspended sentence and a fine of £250,000 for attempting to sell the devices to individuals and pubs. In Málaga Spanish authorities seized equipment belonging to the ISP Y Internet, and in Belfast two business premises were stripped of “a range of TV and computer equipment”. Most significantly this month Judge Richard Arnold granted an order in the high court to allow the UK’s four biggest ISPs to block access to entire online servers.
“The Premier League is currently engaged in its largest ever anti-piracy campaign to protect its copyright,” a Premier League spokesman told the Guardian. “Like other sports and creative industries our model is predicated on the ability to market and sell rights and protect our intellectual property. It is because of this that clubs can invest in and develop talented players, build world-class stadiums, support the English football pyramid and schools and communities across the country – all things that fans enjoy and wider society benefits from.”
The consumption of video content has never been easier and certainly never more prevalent. People have become used to getting whatever they want at the touch of a button and pirates have found ways of making that possible for illegal streams, be it of football matches or feature films. Kodi is just a current vehicle for the practice. An entirely legal app offering an entirely legal service, Kodi has been hijacked by pirates who offer software ‘plug-ins’ that bring illegal streams to your smartphone or TV via a customised set top box.
Kodi, for its part, insists that allowing third-party involvement to its app is part of its ‘open source’ culture and that it is too late to turn back. “If we were to shut down third-party add-ons entirely in the next version of Kodi, our open source licence means that anyone could fork our software and easily re-enable those add-ons immediately,” said the company’s Nate Belzen. “Now that the software is there, it simply can’t go away.”
“There is no actual measure of the number of people [using enabled devices] but, when you see the ease with which people now use apps and add-ons, then take in the number of devices and interest in content, there is little doubt that a huge number of people are using them now,” said Nick Matthew, the investigations manager at the Federation Against Copyright Theft (Fact) which has worked closely with the Premier League in recent months.
2347.jpg

Vauxhall to end sponsorship deal with England and other home nations

Read more
“Fundamentally people are now living through devices – it’s part of their life. There’s no doubt that being sat at home and doing something on your phone doesn’t feel like a crime because it doesn’t involve physical act – even if, were you to stop and think about it, you would know that it was.”
A strategy that involves confronting and prosecuting consumers is not the approach the Premier League is taking. This could be for several reasons, including the reputational damage suffered by the recording industry when it pursued such a strategy in the 2000s, and a 2014 European Court ruling which found that streams on people’s computers were temporary not permanent files and therefore not necessarily the object of an act of theft. Instead the Premier League is aiming for those facilitating the sale of enabled devices or putting up online streams.
The high court ruling this month looks likely to give the Premier League its biggest chance of success. For the first time ISPs – including the UK’s four biggest providers BT, Sky, Talk Talk and Virgin Media – have been given the right to prevent access not just to individual streams but to the servers that host them. In the past, when one stream or a single site had been blocked, pirates have simply reposted the content on another server, resulting in what became known in the industry as ‘playing whack-a-mole’. Now that option will quickly become a limited one. This weekend’s round of Premier League fixtures will be the second in which the ruling has had a chance to be applied.
If the Premier League does manage to turn the tide and secure another bumper contract with Sky, BT Sport or another broadcaster, this seems unlikely to be the end of the story. Not only is technological change so rapid that it would be foolish to predict an end to piracy; it is also true that audiences’ habits are changing. Services such as Netflix have made masses of content available on any device for a small fee. Social media has created an audience used to watching not one entire match but clips and highlights of several.
Sky Sports has begun to adjust its offering, serving up all the weekend’s goals via its Snapchat account on Monday morning, for example. A holistic, digital‑first deal is surely going to become a priority soon enough. Perhaps the Premier League will even do it itself some day.

Whilst I'm a bit sick of these articles, that one at least had some balance to it.

First time I've seen the fact the the EU courts stated that streaming (actually it was related to some copyrighted computer code, not a stream as in video or audio, but still applies) copyrighted content is not necessarily illegal regardless whether you own the rights as the material is transient in nature, so cannot be classed as theft.

Of course the usage of that material can be illegal (hence pubs being done for showing premiership games, as using copyrighted material to display to an audience in the interest of profit is illegal if you don't own the rights), but simply streaming it isn't.

Of course that's out of the window if you're nicked streaming using p2p software, as then you're actually helping distribute the stream, which is illegal.

It also mentioned the need for the rights holders to evolve their business model to negate the impact, something no other article seems to be doing.

Regardless of morals, it's getting easier & easier to pirate any content & the only way for rights holders to do something about it long-term is to offer a better alternative that is actually affordable. Spotify et al have made music piracy a shadow of what it once was, proving that it can be done.

Whilst I'm a bit sick of these articles, that one at least had some balance to it.

First time I've seen the fact the the EU courts stated that streaming (actually it was related to some copyrighted computer code, not a stream as in video or audio, but still applies) copyrighted content is not necessarily illegal regardless whether you own the rights as the material is transient in nature, so cannot be classed as theft.

Of course the usage of that material can be illegal (hence pubs being done for showing premiership games, as using copyrighted material to display to an audience in the interest of profit is illegal if you don't own the rights), but simply streaming it isn't.

Of course that's out of the window if you're nicked streaming using p2p software, as then you're actually helping distribute the stream, which is illegal.

It also mentioned the need for the rights holders to evolve their business model to negate the impact, something no other article seems to be doing.

Regardless of morals, it's getting easier & easier to pirate any content & the only way for rights holders to do something about it long-term is to offer a better alternative that is actually affordable. Spotify et al have made music piracy a shadow of what it once was, proving that it can be done.

Total you agree. If the TV providers somehow said for x fee you can watch all LFC games live irrespective of time and date, I'm pretty sure most would sign up to it. We all hate giving x amount say for trash or games we certainly have no interest in.

Again @FoxForceFive hits the nail on the head.. Though only thing I can see happening in the near future is vpn services becoming more readily available and the norm.. They will never beat piracy...

Whilst their is people out there who are prepared to pay these over inflated subscriptions, the main focus will be to protect this income...

We live in a world full of ignorant greedy cunts... Expect sky etc to dig their heels in for that reason, till eventually like the music industry, they will be forced to change their business model..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom