• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

For anyone who doesn't think the FIA aren't biased towards Ferrari.......

Rafanomenon

6CM Follower
I saw this on the BBC website and thought what the fuck.....he can't say that can he!!

F1 boss wants Massa to win title

Ecclestone is banging the drum for an overhaul of the F1 points system
Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone says he wants Ferrari driver Felipe Massa to win this year's world championship.

The 78-year-old said the Brazilian had endured "bad luck" in losing out to McLaren's Lewis Hamilton by one point last season despite winning more races.

"I hoped that Felipe would do something last year so let's hope he does it this year," Ecclestone said.

"Lewis had bad luck the year before and [then] won. Felipe had bad luck last year so I hope he recovers."

Ecclestone made the comments on a visit to Ferrari's annual publicity event at the Madonna di Campiglio ski resort, where he wore a red jacket resembling official Ferrari team kit.

His remarks came in the context of his continuing campaign to radically overhaul the F1 points system.

Ecclestone wants to introduce a new system whereby the driver with most race victories would be champion. I don't think a guy that is second who's got a lot of points should be world champion

Last year Massa won six races to Hamilton's five, although one of the Ferrari driver's wins was in the Belgian Grand Prix, where Hamilton was controversially stripped of victory for an infringement.

"Forget the word medals," Ecclestone said, referring to his previous proposal that would see gold, silver and bronze medals awarded to the top three finishers.

"I just think the guy that wins the most races should win the championship," Ecclestone said.

"I don't think a guy that is second who's got a lot of points should be world champion, that's all.

"Last year a lot of them sat there being second. It's up to the teams to really push that through. I hope they have enough sense to agree."

Hamilton, whose new car is unveiled on Friday, clinched the title in dramatic style on the last corner of the final race in Brazil - passing Toyota's Timo Glock to move into the fifth position he needed to clinch the championship.

Had he failed to get past, Massa - who won the race - would have been champion.
Massa missed out on last year's drivers' title by one point

Hamilton drove a deliberately conservative race, aiming to stay out of trouble and secure only the fifth place needed to ensure he finished above Massa in the final rankings.

"He did what he had to do to win the championship. I'm not complaining, I don't blame him," Ecclestone said.

"What I'm trying to see is that the person who has won the most races is the world champion because it's a bit cranky that although somebody who maybe won one or two races has got more points than the guy who won five races... it just doesn't seem right.

"Last year, I'm sorry to have to say this, and he would admit it, Lewis in lots of cases didn't bother to try and win because to get two points it's not worth taking the risk. I want them to take the risks."

Had Ecclestone's proposed system been in place in the past, the team he used to run, Brabham, would not have won the titles they clinched with Nelson Piquet in 1981 and '83.

Ecclestone denied he was in Madonna to smooth tensions with Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, who has been critical of the way F1 is being run.

"It's not my intention (to meet him). To be honest it's a cheap weekend for me," he said.

And as for him wanting people to 'take risks', wasn't he one of the people suggesting Lewis was being reckless and taking too many risks?
The guys an idiot and should remain impartial or should hand over the reigns to someone else and not that muppet Mosely.

For the record, Ecclestone doesnt work for the FIA.
He has no say in Slough or Monaco.
He owns the F1 brand and has made no secret of being tifosi in the past. He has always been a fan of them, it doesnt mean he can change the rules to suit them. That would be the FIA.

Its kinda like the chairman of the premier league being (eg) a United fan, the league is still governed by the FA.

So this alegation of corruption is slightly wide of the mark.
Not to suggest the fia are squeeky clean of course.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=30527.msg780528#msg780528 date=1232182659]
For the record, Ecclestone doesnt work for the FIA.
He has no say in Slough or Monaco.
He owns the F1 brand and has made no secret of being tifosi in the past. He has always been a fan of them, it doesnt mean he can change the rules to suit them. That would be the FIA.

Its kinda like the chairman of the premier league being (eg) a United fan, the league is still governed by the FA.

So this alegation of corruption is slightly wide of the mark.
Not to suggest the fia are squeeky clean of course.
[/quote]

ah, cheers for clearing that up.

Much more damning proof is the fact when Ferrari win either the drivers or construction championship they get a massive amount of winnings more than when anyone else wins it. That's straight from the horses mouth in a number of interviews.

Back
Top Bottom