• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

For Xabi Alonso

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xabi Alonso celebrated his 100th cap for his country in the best way possible, scoring two important goals against France: The first was a low and accurate header in the 18th minute after a great move between Iniesta and Jordi Alba on the left. Xabi then made it 2-0 from the penalty spot, after Pedrito was fouled in the 90th minute.

"The team is doing great and it always helps to have the lead", said Xabi after the game, adding: "We’ll try and play as well, if not better against Portugal". He did, however, warn of the quality of his Real Madrid teammate and leader of the Portuguese national team. "We know Cristiano well and we aren’t surprised by how well he’s playing".

With the brace scored in Donetsk, Spain’s number 14 has now scored 15 goals for his country. Six years ago, he scored his first international against the Ukraine at the World Cup in Germany. Strangely, that was the only time he found the back of the net under Luis Aragonés.

With Del Bosque at the helm, his goalscoring stats have improved. Over the last four years he’s scored 14 goals, making him the second highest goalscorer for his country (level with Silva). Only David Villa has scored more times under Del Bosque - a total of 33 goals.

Since his international debut in Madrid on 30th April 2003 in a friendly against Ecuador, Xabi Alonso has scored 15 goals, 5 of these from the penalty spot.

I'd do anything to have him back, my favourite footballer ever. He was nice hearing Carra last night, he was definately gagging to have him back as well, if only eh?

The way things came to an end and the way his 'replacement' failed to live up to the billing triples the pain.

"At the end of that (2008) season, speaking to Rafa, he told me the situation and that he wanted to sign other players and I could be one of the replacements,'' said Alonso. "If an offer would have come, probably I would have been sold.

"That's when I told myself that the situation had changed - from being a very important player to being one of those who can be sold to get funds to sign other players. I accepted it because I am a professional but you have to realise what your situation is."

“Xabi was a player who received the ball and played long and short passes. Aquilani wants to play higher up the pitch than that.

“He wants to be in the final third so that he can create chances.

“In that respect, playing passes to give the strikers the chance to score, he is better than Alonso.

“When he is fit the team will be more dangerous because he has the ability to find Torres and Gerrard with passes that will give them more chances to score.

khmipyjj:tw1

Guys, guys, guys, don't tarnish the second coming of Xabi with such tangents. Now back on track. Count, what's the story - I'd take 60%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom