• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

I remember when the press were linking Bellingham to Madrid, and many of us were believing he would come to us. And we were wrong that time.

I personally don't think Alonso has decided, his focus is BL and rightly so. If however, I am wrong and he has decided he is going to Bayern, he should be really pissed off with the leak. It will bismirch his name with the current fans and could threaten to undermine the dressing room.

Hairy hands says his sources have said he's chosen us..

Ooooh Keys vs Plettifraud.

I didn't have that on my 2024 bingo card.

Plettiplett seems an absolute whopper.

Bayern appaz looking at De Zerbi in case they cant get Xabi, according to SportsBild.

Family Friendly? The Bayerns or Pool over Madrid
Patience for Project (and family won't have to move again in 24 months) - Pool and BL over Munich or Madrid
Least Challenging? Madrid or Munich
Most Challenging? Pool.
Media Friendly? Pool
Least Expectations? Pool or Leverkusen
Financial Boon - Pool, Munich or Madrid?
Closest Style - Pool
Emotional Ties - Pool, then Munich, then Madrid
Ease of winning? Munich, Madrid, Bayern and then Pool
Best for his trophy cabinet? Munich or Madrid.

What other variables would you consider if you were Xabi?

I remember when the press were linking Bellingham to Madrid, and many of us were believing he would come to us. And we were wrong that time. I personally don't think Alonso has decided, his focus is BL and rightly so. If however, I am wrong and he has decided he is going to Bayern, he should be really pissed off with the leak. It will bismirch his name with the current fans and could threaten to undermine the dressing room.

If we’d won the ‘22 Champions League Final, which we probably should have, and not fallen apart in the 22/23 season and put a reasonable offer in front of Bellingham, then we would have signed him.

Similarly, if this season hits a brick wall with no more trophies, I think we become a more “difficult” proposition for Alonso.

I think he’ll take the Bayern job - and once we get past the knee jerk reaction and loud gnashing of teeth, it might not be a bad thing.

If he fails at Bayern, then it’s bullet dodged, if he excels, then we can be his next destination when he’s primed and ready.

What happens in between likely isn’t pretty though.

If we’d won the ‘22 Champions League Final, which we probably should have, and not fallen apart in the 22/23 season and put a reasonable offer in front of Bellingham, then we would have signed him.

Similarly, if this season hits a brick wall with no more trophies, I think we become a more “difficult” proposition for Alonso.

I think he’ll take the Bayern job - and once we get past the knee jerk reaction and loud gnashing of teeth, it might not be a bad thing.

If he fails at Bayern, then it’s bullet dodged, if he excels, then we can be his next destination when he’s primed and ready.

What happens in between likely isn’t pretty though.

Graham Hunter of ESPN, their La Liga correspondent, reckons that Xabi might just be inclined to spend another year at Leverkusen and then go to Real. He suggests Bayern are third in queue behind us and Madrid.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_...l-madrid-bayern-munich-want-xabi-alonso-first

So he's seen his arse. considering he said it was done the other day, that's quite the climb down

Weirdly I have faith that we'll get the appointment right, whoever it may be. Can imagine a lot of kicks offs though

Tbh, if he does well enough with us, he'll get the Madrid job in the future.

Depends if he wants it "now", or gamble on himself to be a success. There's no guarantee Madrid would want him, especially if next season at Bayer isn't good

Basically, you'd think Madrid would need to sack Carlo this year in order to be in the running for Xabi.

I can't see xabi staying at Bayer for another season, unless literally everyone just decides to go "nah"

Depends if he wants it "now", or gamble on himself to be a success. There's no guarantee Madrid would want him, especially if next season at Bayer isn't good
Once he joins us that's it. His entire career, in fact, probably, his entire life, will be spent at Liverpool

This is my thinking too. Madrid will be there later. But I thought the same thing about Bellingham too.

This is my thinking too. Madrid will be there later. But I thought the same thing about Bellingham too.

Yeah, I can't shake the feeling that this is where he'll be in 2026.

I can't see him lacking the confidence that Madrid won't still want him a season later.

Yeah, I can't shake the feeling that this is where he'll be in 2026.

I can't see him lacking the confidence that Madrid won't still want him a season later.
I'm sure they said the same about Klopp (substitute Bayern for Madrid) - everyone wanted him. For managers, once you're at Liverpool you're home.

I'm sure they said the same about Klopp (substitute Bayern for Madrid) - everyone wanted him. For managers, once you're at Liverpool you're home.
Really says a lot about Klopp's character that he chose us over other big money clubs (after suffering losing players at Dortmund). Hope Xabi's the same, especially with his Liverpool connection in mind.

Back
Top Bottom