• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Foreign policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabio

Former mod, consistent c***
Honorary Member
Collymore Is taking over twitter with this discussion.

Should there be a cap on foreign players, to try and promote an increase quality in English players?

A 6+5 kind of vibe?

It won't increase the quality of English players. Just the amount of them. And in fact less competition for places might actually decrease the quality

You've pretty much been the same before and after they got rid of the quota.

There definitely needs to be something's that encourages youth to be promoted but I'm not too arsed about them being English. For example, I'm excited as much by likes of Suso coming through as Wisdom and Sterling. The focus has to be on quality, not nationality.

Rather than buy some average foreign squad player, the incentive should be to promote a youngster.

Obviously it's a grass roots issue, and the coaching isn't up to scratch, but if we get rid of shite foreigners, who's to say young players wouldn't improved by facing constant high level and not reserve football?

It's very xenophobic of these people also. Why is there always such a negative slight against foreign footballers in the English media? Either you want to have the best league in the world or you don't. They claim it's the best league in the world, so you have to have more foreigners as they have more quality. More foreigners and more quality means more external interest in the league which means more money at the end of the day.

The FA would be stupid to impose any sort of a cap. So I wouldn't put it past them doing it.

RULE BRITANNIA!!!

I kind of want the FA to do it, because then the league will fall apart.

Thus, the media will rip the FA apart, forcing change at that level

Collymore Is taking over twitter with this discussion.

Should there be a cap on foreign players, to try and promote an increase quality in English players?

A 6+5 kind of vibe?

I don't see how capping the number of foreigners would improve the quality of English players. If English kids are good enough they will get their chance. There needs to be changes in how they are trained if you want them to be better. All it would mean is English clubs would be shitter in Europe than they are now.

I kind of want the FA to do it, because then the league will fall apart.

Thus, the media will rip the FA apart, forcing change at that level

Yeah that would be a plus actually.

limiting the number of foreigners is a PR move to make it look like you're trying to do something about the situation.

Much broader reform would be more beneficial - for example designing ways to stop clubs from hoarding players

They need to do something about billionaires taking the sport out of it by spending 500m on players in a single summer and giving the player 250 grand a week before they limit the amount of foreigners.

That and getting some decent referees.

How would you do that Ross? Wage cap? Limiting team size? Transfer spending cap?

I think the whole system needs redoing in order to get better players.

How would you do that Ross? Wage cap? Limiting team size? Transfer spending cap?

Limiting squad size would be a start. The 25 man squad plus youths is a bit on the soft side. Realistically youths aren't going to get a chance unless you're club is shit or you get lots of injuries. Reduce it to 20, it should force clubs to give more chances to younger players. And make any player over the age of 21, that isn't in the clubs 20 man squad available for free to other teams in the league. Maybe on a waiver system dependant on league position.

I'd be in favour of a soft salary cap - like in baseball. Once you go over a certain limit you get penalised in a tax on every pound you go over the limit. That money gets redistributed to small market teams. That allows teams who have money, to spend their way out of bad decisions, at a greater expense than normal.

The problem is both of these things would increase the competition in the league, and we know the big boys won't like that.

I'd like to do away with transfer spending completely. Trades instead.

Then we'll see who the good managers are.

Problems in English football:

1. Not enough qualified coaches
2. Ex players are given an easy ride to qualification
3. Mentality in English football needs to move into the 21st century
4. The reserve system isn't as good as it is in other countries
5. The shitter teams in the league can still afford to outspend better teams in Europe

Etc.

Football is boring as fuck, I can't understand why I keep watching it, there's just this weird liverpool thing I can't shake off, but as a sport it's fucking crap.

1. The same few teams win everything EVERY FUCKING YEAR. How is that acceptable to people? You start every season knowing only 2 or 3 teams have a chance of winning, and it's pretty much the same teams all the time. it's so bad now that some mid table teams don't even play their best players away against the big teams. Fuck me. That's just not very interesting.

2. There are very few special players worth bothering your arse to see. Most of them are just fucking athletes with about as much ingenuity, technique and skill as I had when I was ten years old. But they're six foot, all muscle and can run like fuck for an hour and a half. To make it worse, these wankers are on thousands of pounds a week and are dickheads.

3. The shitheads who run the game, even (amazingly) the TV people, don't seem to value entertainment at all. Luis Suarez, for example, is fucking box office gold, a born entertainer, a true cartoon bad guy. His approach should be trumpeted from one stadium to another and palm fronds should be thrown in his path. But instead we get a lot of nonsense about "the good of the sport". Who are these dipsticks trying to turn football into cricket? I want to see comical violence in games. I want the players to punch and kick each other. I want to see mass brawls and testicles being grabbed. I want the players to behave so badly that I'm almost embarrassed to watch them. But no. Let's pretend it's a game of cricket in 1897 Shropshire with our wives eating fucking cucumber sandwiches under their parasols on the sidelines. Bollocks.

4. So having removed the elements of competitive unpredictability, of skill and ingenuity, of unabashed entertainment and showmanship, what's left? Oh I know, let's have shit officials and weirdly atavistic approaches to refereeing so that the game is basically unjust about 30% of the time too. Let's get 40,000 people into a stadium and millions watching on their TVs to watch a shit game and then, when someone finally scores a bloody goal, let's disallow it by accident because some fucking maths teacher from Grimsby thinks it was maybe offside a little but isn't really sure but what the hey? Yeah!! Let's have it so that entire countries can have their dreams in a world cup squashed because the officials didn't see the ball cross the line and aren't allowed to consult with TVs. Let's have dickhead players time waste and not have a proper way of counting the minutes wasted so that the thousands of people paying to watch can be effectively cheated out of seeing what they paid to see.

I think the main problem with English football is that the game is effetively controlled by insular, small-minded, idiots like Allardyce. There are very few really wise people involved in the sport, and therefore you get this bone-headed, anti-football, 'get-stuck-in' approach sticking from one generation to the next.

I could be wrong, but it seems in other countries you just don't have such a concentration of thickos involved in the sport. I hesitate to say it, but it doesn't seem so dominated by the working class.

Big Sam is actually Probably a bad example but essentially I think you're right

Moving abroad is an eye opener when it comes to football. In the UK, you get immersed in the fall-out, arguments, disputes, hype, paper talk etc. all week, then it starts all over again at the weekend. When you remove all the mid-week hype (as no-one is bothered about it outside the UK) and just watch the 90 minutes of game time, it's really evident how boring the game has become.
Said it before but, the actual 90 minutes of football has never mattered less than it does right now. It's just a small part of the pantomime.
As Gene says, love supporting Liverpool, most of the time like watching our games. But watching a game of footy that we weren't playing in would probably rank alongside Home & Away in the interest stakes.

I think football should have a fixed squad size, a salary cap and should feature a number of players from the League's home Country. And going to the game should cost about 10 quid. But none of this will never happen in a million years because, despite me hating footy, it's more popular than ever so what do I know?

The last England squad before the premier league started and the proliferation of foreign players took off had Steve Hodge in it. Steve fucking Hodge.

The last England squad before the premier league started and the proliferation of foreign players took off had Steve Hodge in it. Steve fucking Hodge.

England play Sweden next week and Ryan Bertrand is tipped to be in the squad. Ryan fucking Bertrand.

The more things change...

The last World Cup before the Premier League started, England got beat in the semi on pens. With a better team than they've ever had since.

The last World Cup before the Premier League started, England got beat in the semi on pens. With a better team than they've ever had since.

And in the last European Championships before the Premier League started, England finished bottom of their group without winning a game. With a worse team than they've ever had since.

Their starting 11 against Sweden contained these names: Chris Woods, Tony Daley, Neil Webb, Andy Sinton, Carlton Palmer, and David Batty playing at right back.

Let's not get too nostalgic.

True. Ergo it probably makes no difference.

Shilton, Parker, Walker, Butcher, Wright, Pearce, Gazza, Platt, Waddle, Beadsley, Linkeker to that lot you've mentioned in 2 years is frightening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom