• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forget Owen - we've got the best striker in the world at our club

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBunnyman

Well-Known
and he's been with us for exactly two years now. The offal is running a sort of tribute. Makes good reading...

"In terms of Torres, he could be up there with the greats of Liverpool, like Ian Rush." (Robbie Fowler)

"The things I would say most stand out about Torres are that he's one of the greatest players in the world, he's young and he's going to learn a lot, although he's already an eye-catching player." (Ronaldo)

"He is a world-class striker and he's probably up there with anyone now in striking terms. I only have to mark him in training, thankfully." (Jamie Carragher)

"I look at him and see myself in that bad-boy face. He's got a lot of character. There are plenty of talented players who don't have the desire that Torres has. Since I saw him make his debut, I've always said: this guy's the real thing. He's going to be the player of his generation for club and country." (Raul)

"Torres is outstanding. He was already like this but people in Spain didn't realise it until he went somewhere else - then they saw how great he was. He is a fantastic player with speed, power and great control. Torres can finish with his left foot or his right, and he's really cool in front of goal. Liverpool were crying out for a player like this to help them win the league and now they have it. There are a lot of amazing strikers in the Premier League but Torres at the moment has an edge on the others." (Thierry Henry)

"On form, he's in the top two or three strikers in the world for me. He's got skill and bags of pace and reads the game brilliantly." (Alan Shearer)

"For me Torres is one of the best players I've come up against in Spain, and he's one of the best forwards in Europe." (David Beckham)

"Torres poses a great threat to all defenders. We've seen over the past two years he is definitely one of the best in the world." (John Terry)

"I think, when I was here, we didn't have a player who could score 20 goals in a season. We were always trying to find it but there wasn't a player like Torres. What he has given to them is scoring a lot of goals in the Premier League and in the Champions League as well." (Luis Garcia)

Tommy Smith on Torres
"Torres is up there with the best Anfield strikers of the past 50 years. Roger Hunt was a tremendous player and could score from anywhere – a bit like Torres, who is one of the best I have seen in a red shirt."
"There are a lot of defenders at home and abroad who will be worried about facing Torres, and that could mean that we will see the onset of man-marking to curb him instead of the zonal defending that suits him down to the ground. It will be a case of 'wherever he goes, you go', but it still may not work." (Don Howe)

"Fernando Torres is capable of producing some magic and is an outstanding player. He's sharp, strong and his youthful looks are just a facade when it comes to his playing style – he's as physical and aggressive as some of the more hardened players people talk about." (David James)

"Fernando Torres is a forward's forward, and he gives a team depth. He's fast, direct and dangerous in the box. He's still very young but he's doing really well. He accepts responsibility and he has a great future." (Frank Rikjaard)

"He's an exceptional player, he's scored 33 goals and that's incredible for a first season. He's got everything you want in a centre forward. He's good in the air, quick, scores goals - a top player." (Jonathan Woodgate)

"Torres is up there with the best Anfield strikers of the past 50 years. Roger Hunt was a tremendous player and could score from anywhere – a bit like Torres, who is one of the best I have seen in a red shirt." (Tommy Smith)

"He's unpredictable, he scores unlikely, improbable goals, and he can score them in every way imaginable." (Luis Aragones)

"He is always trying to improve. People probably don't realise how much he looks at his own mistakes and tries to sort them out. He wants to be the best player in the world. It's that commitment, that unselfish personality, which makes him the player he is. He's already in the top three players in the world and of course he can be the best one day because he's still only 25. He has so much potential and is at the best club in the world. I would like to look like him as well! He takes care of himself!" (Pepe Reina)

"Fernando Torres has made an incredible improvement. Last year I saw him as a bit of a softie but then he went to the Premier League, where you can't be a softie, and he exploded." (Fabio Cannavaro)

"I think he is an excellent player. He is a typical No.9. He puts his head in where he knows he could get hurt. He's strong and he's deceptively quick." (Steve McManaman)

"What I like about him is he doesn't give defenders time to rest on the ball. If you close down the play like that, five times out of 10 the ball goes out of play and you've won it back. You've done your job." (Ian Rush)

And here's Kenny's contribution:

Kenny Dalglish today praised the 'invaluable' contribution Fernando Torres has made to Liverpool as the striker celebrates two years at Anfield.
The Spain international has enjoyed two sensational seasons on Merseyside since completing his record move from Atletico Madrid on this day in 2007.

Kop legend Dalglish, who completed an emotional return to the Reds on Friday, admits he's been hugely impressed with the impact Torres has made at Anfield and is backing the No.9 to continue to terrorise defences up and down the country for many years to come.

"Fernando has been invaluable to Liverpool Football Club in the two years he's been here and he has made a massive contribution, both in terms of the number of goals he's scored and his sheer presence on the pitch," Dalglish told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"A lot of people stood up and took notice when he scored his first goal for the club against Chelsea at Anfield because he took it so brilliantly.

"If people hadn't already taken him seriously, they certainly did from that moment on.

"He's since scored some spectacular goals, but it is his clinicalness that I like - his goal against Blackburn earlier this year was fantastic.

"Torres is a real threat that opponents don't like coming up against and Fernando can be more than delighted with what he's achieved since he came here because he's certainly made a profuse contribution."

After netting 33 times in his debut season in English football, Torres took his tally to a remarkable 50 goals in just 84 Liverpool appearances with a typically clinical header against Tottenham Hotspur on the final day of the 2008-09 season.

"The numbers speak for themselves - you don't need to add words to them," continued Dalglish.

"50 goals in 84 appearances is a phenomenal return, even more so because none of them have been from penalties or free-kicks.

"Fernando is a player who is clearly much better to have in your team than against you and we're very fortunate to have him here.

"We will all look forward to this year and hope he can continue to build on the excellent two seasons he's already had with Liverpool."

El Nino has forged a prolific striking partnership with Anfield skipper Steven Gerrard, but Dalglish believes Torres also has all the necessary attributes to operate in any formation.

"Fernando and Steven Gerrard have formed an almost telepathic partnership because they're both excellent, intelligent players," said Liverpool's legendary former No.7.

"I also think Torres has a good partnership with Yossi Benayoun, but certainly Fernando and Stevie have been the most prominent pairing.

"There are many assets to the way Fernando can play and he is certainly capable of operating on his own in attack, or with a partner like Stevie or Yossi, and that's a great advantage for Rafa to have."

The 25-year-old ensured his long-term future lies at Liverpool by agreeing a new, improved contract with the Reds in May to reflect his standing as one of the world's finest strikers.

The news delighted Kopites across the globe and Dalglish was no exception, with the Scot insisting the deal underlines Torres' hunger to bring silverware to Anfield.

"There is a real determination at Anfield for the club to be as successful as they possibly can," he said.

"I'm sure he would not have agreed a new long-term contract if he didn't believe the club were moving in the right direction.

"Last season was a bit of a stop-start one for Fernando. It was a long season and he obviously picked up some injuries along the way.

"At times, Rafa had to even leave him out or take him off early in games to try and protect him, but although last campaign was difficult, he will have benefitted from that experience and he'll be ready for this season.
"He's very happy here, which is great, and it's a real bonus that we've got him in our side."

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=34533.msg900211#msg900211 date=1246712752]
That's given me a warm fuzzy nice feeling in my belly crotch.
[/quote]

Fixed it for ya.

Nice. Very nice. However nothing at all to do with the title of the thread and the reason Owen went to United (as a back up) and why he would have been an excelent freebie here - again as a back up - for Torres.

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=34533.msg900315#msg900315 date=1246723107]
Nice. Very nice. However nothing at all to do with the title of the thread and the reason Owen went to United (as a back up) and why he would have been an excelent freebie here - again as a back up - for Torres.
[/quote]

Yawn. The title of the thread is just a reference to all the angst and anxiety on here over the transfer of a player who is probably not even in the top 50 strikers in the world anymore, given that we've got the one man every other football club in the world would kill for.

Get over it and move on.

[/quote]

C'mon Froggy,go with the flow yer?

Besides, all the articles floating about suggest £20k a week with £100k a week if he plays a game, that's expensive back up and even if he gets crocked it's still a waste of £££.

Seeing this thread is about Torres has anybody else had any kind of sneaky worry that ol Fernando has maybe, dare i say it, lost a bit since he doen his hamstrings twice?

No no... cant be.... im just imagining it...

sorry.

never said that never crossed me mind.

he's fucking awesome and like unlike some cunt I could mention he talks about his club team first and his national team second.

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=34533.msg900213#msg900213 date=1246713243]
Ha. I'm no gayer, not even for Torres.
[/quote]

Me thinks...you protest too much.

I do actually love Fernando Torres.

If he did to us what Owen has, I would be truly devastated. However, I'm not particularly arsed about Owen doing it.

Re: Forget The Cunt - we've got the best striker in the world at our club

[quote author=TheBunnyman link=topic=34533.msg900323#msg900323 date=1246724010]
Nice. Very nice. However nothing at all to do with the title of the thread and the reason The Cunt went to United (as a back up) and why he would have been an excelent freebie here - again as a back up - for Torres.
[/quote]

Yawn. The title of the thread is just a reference to all the angst and anxiety on here over the transfer of a player who is probably not even in the top 50 strikers in the world anymore, given that we've got the one man every other football club in the world would kill for.

Get over it and move on.

[/quote]

Probably not even in the Top 50 blah blah ? All I see are people now persuading themselves that we have not missed out on a bargain.

Torres may well be #1 - I know I wouldn't swop him for anyone, but that has sweet FA to do with finding an excellent back up striker at the right price. Owen was it.

[quote author=Hardcastle link=topic=34533.msg900328#msg900328 date=1246724630]
Nice. Very nice. However nothing at all to do with the title of the thread and the reason The Cunt went to United (as a back up) and why he would have been an excelent freebie here - again as a back up - for Torres.
[/quote]

C'mon Froggy,go with the flow yer?

Besides, all the articles floating about suggest £20k a week with £100k a week if he plays a game, that's expensive back up and even if he gets crocked it's still a waste of £££.
[/quote]

Go with the flow ? Moi ? Ha ! Never likely to happen but you never know ;)

We will pay how much for a decent back up striker, e.g. Lavezzi (sp.) was how much ? Owen, if he gets anywhere near form & stays fit even half the season, would have been a perfect fit for us. C'est la vie - let's hope we don't regret it come the end of next season eh ?

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=34533.msg900385#msg900385 date=1246735712]
[/quote]

Get over it and move on.

[/quote]

Probably not even in the Top 50 blah blah ? All I see are people now persuading themselves that we have not missed out on a bargain.

Torres may well be #1 - I know I wouldn't swop him for anyone, but that has sweet FA to do with finding an excellent back up striker at the right price. Owen was it.
[/quote]

Was he bollocks. His reputation could easily have unsettled the squad and in particular Torres. Add to that the fact that he has done fuck all for a number of seasons now, as well as a dire fitness record and it makes perfect sense why we didnt get him back.

In any event, Owen cannot play the lone striker role, nor would he be an ideal partner for Torres.

[quote author=Rafiagra link=topic=34533.msg900388#msg900388 date=1246736193]
[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=34533.msg900385#msg900385 date=1246735712]
[/quote]

Get over it and move on.

[/quote]

Torres may well be #1 - I know I wouldn't swop him for anyone, but that has sweet FA to do with finding an excellent back up striker at the right price. The Cunt was it.
[/quote]

Was he bollocks. His reputation could easily have unsettled the squad and in particular Torres. Add to that the fact that he has done fuck all for a number of seasons now, as well as a dire fitness record and it makes perfect sense why we didnt get him back.

In any event, The Cunt cannot play the lone striker role, nor would he be an ideal partner for Torres.
[/quote]

Oh what BS. Reputation ? As a player who unsettles the squad ? Where did you pull that one from ? He ripped us, Real Madrid and Newcastle apart with his divisiveness didn't he.

Dire past fitness record doesn't mean he will be injured again next season - although it may be worth a punt. Yes, he can play lone striker and yes he can play in 4-4-2 so whatever formation we play he would still have been an excellent squad player for us. As far as a foil for Torres is concerned The Cunt can hold the ball up with the best of them and his cunning in and around the box would help not hinder.

It's totally irrelevant now of course but some people just don't want to acknowledge Owen the player because of how they perceive Owen the person.

Re: Forget Cunt - we've got the best striker in the world at our club

Owen can play as a lone striker?? Haha. Can he fuck

Indeed. He'd be lone all right, but he wouldn't be doing much striking. By the end of last season even his mate Shearer wasn't picking him, precisely because of that.

I thought this thread was supposed to be a celebration of what we've got! I agree with the sentiment Bunny. Let's all hail the Bull God Torres.

Torres is the new God (not the beardy omnipotent one, the prolific goal scoring one). I love him more than anyone outside my immediate family. And it's a close call with them.

I wish he would accept my Facebook request.

We've got the best striker in the world, coupled with the best attacking midfielder in the world.

United have got a washed-up, injury prone striker who couldn't make the Newcastle first team and a lazy, egotistical, overpriced Bulgarian.

If United lose Rooney to injury they're fucked for pace up front. They've lost Ronaldo. They've lost Tevez. And Benzema has just fucked them off. A few cuntish United fans may be having a laugh at Liverpool for a day (and fair enough, many here would be doing the same had we landed Tevez), but the bottom line is this: so far their summer has been a nightmare, and this doesn't come remotely close to changing that fact.

There is a cunt in this thread alright but it isn't The Cunt. It's the Administrator who has made any reference to O W E N change automatically to The Cunt so it is impossible to 'modify' my posts to change it back.

Now that is childish, doltish, imbecilic and downright fucking pathetic !

Boo fucking hoo..

Build a bridge..

[quote author=Frogfish link=topic=34533.msg900507#msg900507 date=1246766456]
There is a cunt in this thread alright but it isn't The Cunt. It's the Administrator who has made any reference to O W E N change automatically to The Cunt so it is impossible to 'modify' my posts to change it back.

Now that is childish, doltish, imbecilic and downright fucking pathetic !
[/quote]

Oh shut up you twat.

And if you feel all affronted by that then don't start throwing the 'cunt' references around in the first place. Dish it and you'll get it back.

There. I've changed it back so the big girl's blouse doesn't get offended. Don't laugh, your face might fucking crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom