• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

FUCKING COME ON BIG JOE.

Oncy

Look up to the sky and there I be
Honorary Member
Its been a pleasure watching Big Joe batter everyone in that division for over a decade, and i'll be sad to see him retire tonight.
One of the best pound for pounders ever for me (Roy Jones is too mind you) and a true master of the art.
Good luck Joe im rooting for you.

I often think that when Joe is fighting, but for his farewell gig, im hoping for an early stoppage.

You cant argue with someone whos ended the careers of Eubank, Collins, Hopkins and Jones.
Im fucking hyped.

Too right. Fucking come on Joe lad!

Fantastic boxer.

I think he will do it, but I am a bit worried.. more worried than anyone else seems to be. Joe totally derserves to bow out by beating someone like Jones... but Jones was (is?) an amazing athlete and has a real aura about him. Joe should definitely have too much for him, but but but....

Do you think Joe will deserve to be mentioned alongside other greats should he retire undefeated after over a decade at the top?
Marciano, Mayweather, Robinson, Leonard, Ali, Chavez......i think his name should sit if not on that list, somewhere close.
The only thing i would say, is that because of his hand and wrist problems, he hasnt fought quite enough to be regarded as a take all comers champion like a Chavez, Hearns, Duran type.

That said, for me hes one of the best ever.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=28473.msg717531#msg717531 date=1226142201]
Do you think Joe will deserve to be mentioned alongside other greats should he retire undefeated after over a decade at the top?
Marciano, Mayweather, Robinson, Leonard, Ali, Chavez......i think his name should sit if not on that list, somewhere close.
The only thing i would say, is that because of his hand and wrist problems, he hasnt fought quite enough to be regarded as a take all comers champion like a Chavez, Hearns, Duran type.

That said, for me hes one of the best ever.
[/quote]

Yeah, definitely. The man is a legend and totally deserves a place alongside those boxing legends you have mentioned ....... assuming he beats Jones.

Do you think this fight against Jones is a deciding factor on him being a 'top' great as opposed to, well, just a 'great' if ya know what I mean.

Yeah i do Jay, for the simple reason the quality of opposition in general hasnt been of the standard say a hearns or Duran faced, so he'd go down as a great fighter but to go down a true great or legend, he has to retire undefeated.
Otherwise its going to always be said he didnt beat the best opposition.
For me he has to win tonight to go on that list.
Im sure he knows that too.

Yeah I agree, which is why im worried for him. But if he fights as well as we know he can, he should win relatively comfortably.

Come on Joe.

Joe's not got enough power to stop a proper light heavyweight. Jones has proven though, if he does get caught it could be 5 minutes before he gets up.

Calzaghe on points I reckon, or if it is a stoppage then it won't be a KO. Hope I'm wrong and he flattens him though!

I can't describe how much I enjoyed both of these at the time. Only the Audley one against Sprott was better:

[flash=500,400]http://uk.youtube.com/watch/v/sq6MQ2kYLu8&feature=related[/flash]

[flash=500,400]http://uk.youtube.com/watch/v/d0zW3fitWNs[/flash]

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=28473.msg717509#msg717509 date=1226140358]
You cant argue with someone whos ended the careers of Eubank, Collins, Hopkins and Jones.
[/quote]

Yeah, except Calzaghe never fought Collins, Hopkins has just dominated Kelly Pavlik and he hasn't even stepped in the ring with Jones yet.

But he is very good though, certainly one of the finest ever British fighters. It's a shame he's only really started to taking on the big names in recent years. I think he's got enough to out-point today's Roy Jones, who's a shell of the fighter he was five-ten years ago.

He's fought a tonne of nobodies, and all the top-class fighters he's beaten have been about 80 years old.

He's had one superlative win against Lacey, but apart from that, very little.

There's a reason hardly anyone in America has heard of him

[quote author=Brendan link=topic=28473.msg717858#msg717858 date=1226167093]
He's fought a tonne of nobodies, and all the top-class fighters he's beaten have been about 80 years old.

He's had one superlative win against Lacey, but apart from that, very little.

There's a reason hardly anyone in America has heard of him
[/quote]

Wasn't he afraid of flying for a long time ?

Apparently a million quid cures that though.

I agree with what you say though, most of Warren's boxers are kept away from dangerous fighters throughout their careers. Hatton was carefully managed up to the point where there was no option other than to fight Mayweather. Khan, up until his last fight, fought nobody.

Calzaghe is a very good fighter, but frankly, trying to rank him anywhere fucking near the likes of leonard and robinson is properly mental.

He's managed his career well, but he's fought hardly anyone

[quote author=Rosco link=topic=28473.msg717940#msg717940 date=1226168812] Khan, up until his last fight, fought nobody.

[/quote]

And still got put on his arse on multiple occasions!

[quote author=SaintGeorge67 link=topic=28473.msg718236#msg718236 date=1226177631]
4.15 I believe.
[/quote]

Gay.

I better get a stream working if I'm staying up that late.

And it's Randolph Turpin you're thinking of. Surprised you didn't listen to it on the wireless mate.

Back
Top Bottom