• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Georginio Wijnaldum - confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
92 goals in 326 games is very good for an attacking midfielder.

It is, but it's the Dutch league. There are just as many good cases as bad.

Suarez actually also scored 11 goals in his first season in England, 3 of which came in a hat-trick against Norwich.

He did, but there was no doubt to his quality. There are some question marks over Wijnaldum for me.

Listen, I think he will be a decent, maybe 6 out of 10 player on the whole. But do we need more of those players when we've already got so many? Especially for this money.

I hope I'm wrong, but our history with these type of signings isn't great.

It is, but it's the Dutch league. There are just as many good cases as bad.

He did, but there was no doubt to his quality. There are some question marks over Wijnaldum for me.

Listen, I think he will be a decent, maybe 6 out of 10 player on the whole. But do we need more of those players when we've already got so many? Especially for this money.

I hope I'm wrong, but our history with these type of signings isn't great.

Quality-wise, I think there are no major doubts about Wijnaldum – he's always been highly rated and watched closely by scouts from the young age, voted the best Dutch player in his last season at home. He is certainly a "technician", as Brendan Rodgers would say. The only question mark I personally have is about consistency and whether he can perform well under pressure – that's something we will have to find out.

Why not sign him for buttons a few years ago then, instead of waiting until he scores a couple past you?

It's the Liverpool way, please refer to:
Crouch
Mane
Carroll
Barmby

There's probably more that scored against us, then you've got the players who played well against us and we then signed later!

Quality-wise, I think there are no major doubts about Wijnaldum – he's always been highly rated and watched closely by scouts from the young age, voted the best Dutch player in his last season at home. He is certainly a "technician", as Brendan Rodgers would say. The only question mark I personally have is about consistency and whether he can perform well under pressure – that's something we will have to find out.

Those are major question marks for me.

It's the Liverpool way, please refer to:
Crouch
Mane
Carroll
Barmby

There's probably more that scored against us, then you've got the players who played well against us and we then signed later!

I refer you to the thread I've just created. Didn't even think of Crouch and Barmby.

Suarez scored bloody over 30 a season. This lad scored 11, 8 of which came in 3 games. I don't think he's a prolific scorer.
I don't think anyone claimed he's prolific but you ruled out 8 of his goals simply because they don't suit the rhetoric. I didn't see anyone ruling out Suarez's 4 goals (well all of them really) vs. Norwich for any reason ! He scored 11, that's pretty much what we should concentrate on. BTW if you watch the clip of last season's goals you'll see that even vs. Norwich only one was downright poor defending.

I don't think anyone claimed he's prolific but you ruled out 8 of his goals simply because they don't suit the rhetoric. I didn't see anyone ruling out Suarez's 4 goals (well all of them really) vs. Norwich for any reason ! He scored 11, that's pretty much what we should concentrate on. BTW if you watch the clip of last season's goals you'll see that even vs. Norwich only one was downright poor defending.

I don't know, some people are talking about all these goals he will add from midfield. He's not a prolific scorer, and he only scored in something like 6 games. I'd rather take someone who pops up with one in every three games than someone who scores his goals in gluts. It's a better reflection of consistency. 8 of 11 goals came in 3 games. For the other 33 he was barely a goal threat. That could have been down to tactics, position, or the fact that Newcastle are shite, but it is a worry and quite a big question mark.

There's no doubt he's talented, I've never disputed that. But his consistency is a massive issue. We've already got too many inconsistent players. And for the price we're paying, even in this inflated market, we need instant and notable improvement. I don't know if he will bring that.

I don't know, some people are talking about all these goals he will add from midfield. He's not a prolific scorer, and he only scored in something like 6 games. I'd rather take someone who pops up with one in every three games than someone who scores his goals in gluts. It's a better reflection of consistency. 8 of 11 goals came in 3 games. For the other 33 he was barely a goal threat. That could have been down to tactics, position, or the fact that Newcastle are shite, but it is a worry and quite a big question mark.

There's no doubt he's talented, I've never disputed that. But his consistency is a massive issue. We've already got too many inconsistent players. And for the price we're paying, even in this inflated market, we need instant and notable improvement. I don't know if he will bring that.

Fair enough. We might feel inclined to be more or less optimistic about this transfer, but in the end the only way those questions will be answered are his performances in the Liverpool shirt.

He scored more Premiership goals than any Liverpool player, striker or otherwise. And while it is correct that he scored in "clumps", that is only looking at one season.

It's useful to look at his record in Holland too, and in three seasons there he scored 14, 20 and 18 goals.

That suggest a very consistent return of goals for an attacking midfielder.

92 career goals is fairly prolific for a 25 year old midfielder. It's a hell of a lot more than Lucas, Allen and Henderson. Combined.

He scored more Premiership goals than any Liverpool player, striker or otherwise. And while it is correct that he scored in "clumps", that is only looking at one season.

It's useful to look at his record in Holland too, and in three seasons there he scored 14, 20 and 18 goals.

That suggest a very consistent return of goals for an attacking midfielder.

His record in Holland is impressive, no doubt. But that league really is a mixed bag when it comes to looking at scoring records. You could get a van Nistelrooy or a Kezman. A Kuyt or Afonso Alves. It's worth taking with a huge pinch of salt.

His record in Holland is impressive, no doubt. But that league really is a mixed bag when it comes to looking at scoring records. You could get a van Nistelrooy or a Kezman. A Kuyt or Afonso Alves. It's worth taking with a huge pinch of salt.

They're all strikers.

I can see and understand your concern. However one point that is raised as a potential issue is that he failed to score in any of Newcastle's away games.

Going back 2 seasons to his last season at PSV he scored 5 goals with 2 assists at home and 9 goals 1 assist away (plus 2 goals away, zero at home, in the EL). This also puts to bed his 'Homer' tag. I think we can blame Newcastle for being shite away from home for at least the greater part of his lack of away goals, in his first season in the PL. I hope and expect him to progress from his Newcastle form.

I'm wagging my finger Cloggy, because I have been to Katwjk many times and have never had Horse lungs. Lots of smoked eel, and raw herring with onions though.
I stick to the kibbeling and lekkerbek myself. Katwijk is the only place I ever tried paling and herring though. Horrible stuff.

I can see and understand your concern. However one point that is raised as a potential issue is that he failed to score in any of Newcastle's away games.

Going back 2 seasons to his last season at PSV he scored 5 goals with 2 assists at home and 9 goals 1 assist away (plus 2 goals away, zero at home, in the EL). This also puts to bed his 'Homer' tag. I think we can blame Newcastle for being shite away from home for at least the greater part of his lack of away goals, in his first season in the PL. I hope and expect him to progress from his Newcastle form.

To be honest, I didn't mention the home vs away thing because I was aware of his record away from home in the Dutch league and I was aware how shite Newcastle were away from home. That's not one of my concerns so much. My main concern is what he can offer in terms of consistency since I'm not sure he's a continual goal threat. I'd also like to know if he has the work rate that Klopp demands. That's possibly the most important thing in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom