• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Georginio Wijnaldum - confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
[article]Dirk Kuyt has given his seal of approval to imminent new Liverpool signing Georginio Wijnaldum - and he says that ‘something is growing’ for the Reds under Jurgen Klopp.

And Kuyt, who scored 71 games in 285 games for Liverpool, revealed that the Reds have kept tabs on Wijnaldum since he was a youth player at Feyenoord.

The 35-year-old, who is back with his former club Feyenoord, told De Telegraaf: “(It is) a wonderful transfer for Gini. The best compliment for him was that his name in my time at Liverpool buzzed inside the club.

“He was watched by the scouts already in his youth days at Feyenoord as a very great talent. When I played for Liverpool, I heard them frequently say that he would be a wonderful asset one day.

“He eventually ended up at PSV and Newcastle, before moving to Anfield. He is now at a top club in England and he’ll be at home.”

Kuyt was pictured at Anfield for last season’s Europa League semi-final victory over Villarreal, and the Dutchman says that he was impressed with what he saw from the current Liverpool side.

And he has tipped Klopp’s side for success - with Wijnaldum at the heart of it.

He added: “Led by Klopp, Liverpool want to go way up again. I myself have been at the semi-finals in the Europa League and then I noticed that something is growing.

“Klopp sees Gini as a nice player. I know him well, he also did well in Brazil.

“He is not only a good player, but also a player with the lungs of a horse.”[/article]

Yeah, but the thing is, EVERY SINGLE YEAR, there are a few players who look like the most amazing signings ever, and all the papers and media platforms do a poll of "Bargain Of The Year" or "Best Transfer" and everyone moans and says "why didn't we sign him when he was available for £2.50?! Now he's worth £35m and will go to Chelsea/ City/ Real/ Barca/ United!"

And that club makes a load of money in transfers when they sell them, and the Chief Scout is a genius, and he moves to a bigger club and on it goes.

But it's all cyclical. One year it was Southampton. Then Leicester. Or Newcastle and their French scouting network.

Because it's a massive fluke. Yes, of course there are some fabulous scouts. There are some clubs who seem - for a while - to be able to pick up these bargains. But they sign just as many shit players that nobody wants after a year or two. Eventually. It all evens out. There's always risk involved.

Smaller, less attractive clubs are exactly set up to take those risks. Players (like Wijnaldum, like Kante, like Vardy, like Sissoko, like Payet, ike Mane) know that this could be a great stepping stone move. That if they impress, one of the "big clubs" will come in and pay them double what they earn now. Both the club and the player have to work harder, take different routes, look at less fashionable destinations in the short-term.

And it will always be that way. There'll be threads in a month or two speculating on who we should have bought for £5m, like there was with Kante last season. Don't recall any posts about him when he played for Caen.

But then, you don't often hear about the failures quite so much. Does anyone still wish they'd taken a chance on Michu before Swansea got him? Or Benni McCarthy? Savio Nsereko, the £9m genius signing for West Ham? Xisco? Matt Jones? Steve Marlet? Thomas Brolin? Jo? Kleberson? Mitroglou? Alves?

There's far more shite signed - BY EVERY CLUB - than quality

Yes and all that is accepted and fair enough. But then what is it our scouts actually do? For the money we spend on these players then we should be getting the finished article, but we don't. We are clearly aware of these players before they move to the Prem and then we spend loads on them, so why not sign them for cheap beforehand? A £8m or £9m disaster is preferable to a £32.5m one. So many people, even here on this site, voiced their concern with so many of our big signings, only for them to fail. So how come we can see it but the club doesn't? Worse yet, they repeat the process every year and keep expecting it to work. It clearly doesn't.

Obviously when you're scrounging around and looking for bargains then you're going to hit more than a few duds. That's par for the course. But we're hitting the duds most of the time whenever we spend over £20m. Ironically, our better signings are the cheaper ones. It's all backwards. We've shown we can pick up these bargains, so why don't we do more of it?

The big money, intra-prem transfers just seem ridiculously lazy and ill-thought out to me.

I've been wanting a load of players I've never heard of, myself. Partly because it's more exciting when they surpass your lack of expectations but also partly because it would mean we had a working scouting system.

This summer's signings may well be a consequence of Klopp's relative newness to this league, rather than a continuation of previous behaviour.

So he's bought a player his management team knows - Grujic - three players he knew from Germany, and two big signings from the Premiership, who played very well against Klopp, who got to see them first hand. And was impressed.

Let's not look at the past too much. This is his first major transfer window, he deserves a bit of trust.

Well there you go. Why not take the punt on him before Southampton sign him for that and we buy him for 35m next year? Cut out the middleman.
Southampton can afford to take that chance (or Leicester or whichever bottom half team picks them up) but we can't (for the greater part, unless it is youth we are trying to bring in e.g. Grujic and Markovic - and look how well the later went). It will always be the case, unless we eventually slip to that level. God forbid.

Bojan is a weird one. I remember people on here wanting him when he was available, not sure if because of Barca or he's boss on Football Manager, but having seen him be shite at Ajax I didn't want him at all.

He seems to be better at Stoke than he was in the Eredivisie. Scores a lot more for a start.

Southampton can afford to take that chance (or Leicester or whichever bottom half team picks them up) but we can't (for the greater part, unless it is youth we are trying to bring in e.g. Grujic and Markovic - and look how well the later went). It will always be the case, unless we eventually slip to that level. God forbid.

We've already slipped to that level. The big money transfers rarely work at Liverpool anymore because we're paying such high prices for average players. We have more success with signings based on potential. That's where we should be heading. We need to recognise where we are. We're a midtable team. We need to be shrewder and smarter. Everyone else is better at it than us. That's what got us in this mess. It's what will get us out of it.

This summer's signings may well be a consequence of Klopp's relative newness to this league, rather than a continuation of previous behaviour.

So he's bought a player his management team knows - Grujic - three players he knew from Germany, and two big signings from the Premiership, who played very well against Klopp, who got to see them first hand. And was impressed.

Let's not look at the past too much. This is his first major transfer window, he deserves a bit of trust.

And those 2 from Premiership aren't unknowns to him either. He already mentioned about knowing Mane from his Red Bull Salzburg days (managed by his compatriot Roger Schmidt) and performance at Olympics. Wijnaldum is an established Holland international with more than 200 top flight appearances in Dutch Eredivisie and captained PSV to their first title since 2008 in 14/15.

And those 2 from Premiership aren't unknowns to him either. He already mentioned about knowing Mane from his Red Bull Salzburg days (managed by his compatriot Roger Schmidt) and performance at Olympics. Wijnaldum is an established Holland international with more than 200 top flight appearances in Dutch Eredivisie and captained PSV to their first title since 2008 in 14/15.

And 30 caps for Holland

These last ~100 posts are the most tedious, pointless debate ever.

If you actually watch the goals he's scored and assisted, you can see he has a great attacking acumen and finishing ability.

That's a common theme in our successful signings - Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge, Suarez, etc.

Confirmed on the official:

thumb_24043_default_news_size_5.jpeg

Liverpool complete Georginio Wijnaldum capture

David Lynch@LynchMDavid
Liverpool Football Club have today completed the signing of Netherlands international Georginio Wijnaldum from Newcastle United.

The 25-year-old has signed a long-term deal with the Reds to seal a return to the Premier League and will now jet out to join the club's ongoing tour of the United States.
After completing a switch to Anfield on Friday, he told Liverpoolfc.com: “I’m really excited because Liverpool is a big club with a great history and it’s always a dream to play for as big a club as Liverpool.”
He also commented on the prospect of working alongside Jürgen Klopp, adding: “[He seems] a great man - from the outside - because I don’t know how he works yet and I have to work with him.
“[But] I always love to watch him, his passion as a trainer, I like how he enjoys the game. He gives something back to the group [with his passion] so I look forward to working with him.”
Wijnaldum scored 11 goals in 38 league appearances in his maiden season in England following a move from PSV Eindhoven last summer.
The Dutchman, who also previously represented Feyenoord, has 30 international caps to his name.
He joins Loris Karius, Joel Matip, Marko Grujic, Sadio Mane, Ragnar Klavan and Alex Manninger as a fresh face in Klopp's squad ahead of the 2016-17 campaign.

Klopp: Wijnaldum can be a great player for us

Sam Williams@SamWilliams14
Jürgen Klopp is delighted to have Georginio Wijnaldum on board at Liverpool, with the boss declaring: “I think he can be a great player for us.”

The Reds completed the signing of Wijnaldum from Newcastle United on Friday, with the Netherlands international putting pen to paper on a long-term deal before flying out to meet up with his new teammates in the USA.
The 25-year-old is Liverpool’s seventh new arrival of the summer, and Klopp is excited about the prospect of working with the versatile midfielder - who he says has the appetite to improve further at Anfield.
"I am so happy that we have got him and he can join us now in the USA,” the manager told Liverpoolfc.com.
“I think he can be a great player for us. He has already shown some really good moments in his career but the most exciting and important thing for me and my staff is that there is still so much extra to come from him.
“When I talked to him I could tell that he knows we have to work together to get this level out of him to all be successful for the team.”
Wijnaldum impressed in his first season in England following his move from PSV Eindhoven to Newcastle last summer, scoring 11 goals in 38 Premier League appearances despite the Magpies’ relegation.
And Klopp expects the experience of his new No.5 to stand him in good stead at Liverpool.
The boss added: “He has played a lot for his country already, been captain at a young age in Holland and also been involved in a tough Premier League season so this experience gives him a good foundation for the challenge here - which everybody knows is huge!
“He can play a few positions for us and players that come through the Dutch system usually have a good tactical understanding and flexibility. That's really important.
“I can't wait to get him on the training pitch and for the fans to see him play in a Liverpool shirt."

Yeah, I remember when he was coming through (and it seems a long time ago), he was compared to Ronaldinho.

Here's a very old video (complete with Stratovarius music):

I would say that he is more like Angel Di Maria than Ronaldinho when it comes down to the playing style. Wijnaldum is a better team player than Di Maria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom