• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Georginio Wijnaldum - confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had to skim read the last number of pages so am I right in thinking that Dirk said that he is hung like a horse?
This should interest Hendo surely?

You read wrong - he has the lungs of a horse - which means he has good stamina. Don't know about his knob or where you read that.

I think playing in a league with more open, attacking play develops players better as well.

If young players have success attacking, then they have the confidence to build those attacking skills and add to their game in terms of flair and finesse. Whereas in more defensive leagues, players get shut down quickly and never have the confidence to develop those skills, and either abandon them entirely, or go for a more measured approach, thereby not maximizing on their talents.

So in terms of attacking player development, to succeed in a defensively oriented league, young players either need to be insanely talented, or insanely motivated from the start. Leagues with less defensive acumen, i.e. Dutch, Belgian, etc, allow for players to really develop and grow into their ability regardless of these factors.

I see that you have read Tomkins. He did an article about this and it is the reason to why Italy don't have any great strikers. The young italian attacking talents need to move to a league like the Dutch one before they get destroyed by all the tactics.

Barcelona let their young talents play and have fun and it isn't until they get 14-15 years old that they start to learn them tactics for real. The Dutch way.

I see that you have read Tomkins. He did an article about this and it is the reason to why Italy don't have any great strikers. The young italian attacking talents need to move to a league like the Dutch one before they get destroyed by all the tactics.

Barcelona let their young talents play and have fun and it isn't until they get 14-15 years old that they start to learn them tactics for real. The Dutch way.

I actually haven't read that piece, so it's interesting that it has some credence. It does intuitively make a lot of sense though.

Also interesting that some American college kid who's never played the sport at any level came to that conclusion, I suppose.

Bazoer? Yeah. Will probably end up as DM but plays there and CM now. Used to be CD as a kid. He's going to be great. Probably.

Sign him up. Sell Lucas. Boss.

Watched a few Youtube clips of him. Looked talented and some amazing goals aswell.

Obviously I don't read Tomkins but a spell in the Eredivisie did Pelle the world of good.

Not that he was young like.

Last edited:
I actually haven't read that piece, so it's interesting that it has some credence. It does intuitively make a lot of sense though.

Also interesting that some American college kid who's never played the sport at any level came to that conclusion, I suppose.
And you did it in about ten thousand words less than Tomkins.

Never read Tomkins. Life's too short.

Just as Roberto Firmino’s best position is somewhere between an attacking midfielder and a No. 9, Wijnaldum’s is somewhere between central midfield and No. 10. [...]
Liverpool have primarily been playing a 4-3-3 so far in pre-season, and this is the formation which could get the best from Wijnaldum.
This shape would allow him use his ability to play between the lines and break into the box as the most advanced of the central three, supported by a box-to-box midfielder just behind him and a defensive midfielder further back.

LFC-4-3-3-Wijnaldum.jpg

More:
http://www.thisisanfield.com/2016/07/georginio-wijnaldum-fit-klopps-liverpool-side/

I'd be surprised if Klopp dropped Milner given his stats and form last year. I can see him and Henderson competing for the same spot given their similarity. Overall the squad is starting to look a lot stronger and I'm confident we will challenge for the CL spots this year, but the defense is very questionable though. Clyne is the only member who doesn't have question marks hanging over him. Although we have cause to be optimistic over Matip and Karius its too early to call them upgrades and we know Moreno to be largely hopeless.

What makes me so excited about Wijnaldum (and about Grujic too, because he can play a similar role once he settles in) is that for the first time since Gerrard in his pomp we are going to have a goal-scoring midfielder, somebody who can break with speed and power from deeper position and carry a real attacking threat. We've been spoiled by the Suarez-Sturridge partnership in 2013-14 so much that we could carry 3 (!) midfielders with negligible goal threat in our first 11 (Lucas, Allen and Hendo combined for 5 goals total that season, 4 of which were by Hendo). And we were starting to get resigned to the fact that the neat combination play between our AMs and strikers is pretty much the only way we score – and when that's not working, there is no other plan.

Well, now there is another plan. Next season every player in the front 6, including the holding midfielder, will carry at least some goal threat and there will be 3-4 players on the pitch at any given time who are well capable of breaking into the double-digits in goals and are comfortable in creating chances as well. When players as athletic and technically capable as Wijnaldum and Grujic look to break into the penalty area, it will be harder for defenders to stop them cleanly – and it will make it easier for poachers like Firmino, Mane and Ings to find their chances among the confusion. That and even a marginal improvement in defense can result in a big improvement in points.

======

[xtable=skin1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Player{/td}
{td}Distance per game{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}James Milner{/td}
{td}12.1km{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Nathaniel Clyne{/td}
{td}10.5km{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Emre Can{/td}
{td}10.2km{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Georginio Wijnaldum{/td}
{td}10.1km{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Jordan Henderson{/td}
{td}9.7km{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
Here are Wijnaldum's stats on distance covered per game from last season, compared to other LFC midfielders. It shows that he is not as lazy as some Newcastle fans make him seem, but I also think he will run a lot more next season under Klopp.

Also this little chart shows how far Hendo has been from his usual standard last season. 2 years ago he was by far the best in the team and 4th in the league in distance covered – I don't know the exact number of km per game, but it was surely above 12. If he can start the season fully healthy it would be a huge boost for Klopp.

Last edited:
He's rather handsome isn't he? Nice eyes, solid jaw-line, good smile, and those pearly whites are sparkling.

Extremely solid addition to the 'Good Looking 11', and dare I say it - a step up on Jordon Ibe in that regard - whose loss from the 11 I was worried about a few weeks back.
His fashion sense will probably be terrible though Ryan. He is Dutch. Expect ridiculous jeans and everything else that goes with it.

On a related note, our new training kit looks a bit like the oranje national team jersey. I like it.

Wijnaldum (#10) vs Zielinski (#19), game from June 1st. Played directly against each other (LCM vs RCM) and clashed many times, including some hard fouls. It's fair to say Wijnaldum won this battle as well. He is not "soft."

Last edited:
A conversation between Jürgen Klopp and Georginio Wijnaldum made both men certain that joining forces at Liverpool would be a wise decision.

The Reds swooped to sign the 25-year-old from Newcastle United on Friday, recruiting a midfielder who scored 11 goals in 38 Premier League appearances last season.
Klopp has been following the Dutchman’s development since his time at Feyenoord and explained that his versatility – and ability to thrive in different positions – was a major part of the appeal in bringing the club’s new No.5 to Anfield.
Speaking to Liverpoolfc.com in California once the transfer had been completed, the manager’s satisfaction with the deal was obvious. Read on for more.
You have now signed Georginio Wijnaldum. How pleased are you with that deal?
Very! In a transfer period you watch a lot of players and have to think about a lot of things – what you need, who is on the market and what can help the team. If you find a player for a position where you think he could fit really well then that’s a moment when you feel really good. Then you start asking about possibilities and what the player and club think. At the end, after a long period of thinking, in this case it actually went really quickly. I’m really happy about this because each day we can work together helps all of us. Georginio brings some things into the squad – like Sadio [Mane], for example – that we didn’t have before. It doesn’t mean [there is] not quality; it’s a different natural skill and style of play if you want. To involve things like this in the game is really interesting. New players have two things to do – to perform at the highest level, of course, and to push all of the other players. That only works with quality. We haven’t signed one player who on the first day is fourth choice in their position. OK, Alex Manninger is not here for challenging Simon [Mignolet] and Loris [Karius], he’s here for helping and developing them and giving us the opportunity to send the young lads on loan or let Shamal [George] play in the U21s. We thought a lot about these signings and now I’m really happy.
How did it go when you spoke to him and how nice is it when you hear a player’s excitement about coming to the club?
I met him and it was good. He is quite an adult. He was captain of PSV Eindhoven, the Dutch champions. At this young age, being the captain of a team doesn’t happen too often. He’s a real footballer and has a special kind of football smartness. When you speak about football and can hear when you speak to a player that you know about the questions he has, you think ‘OK, he thinks a lot about football’. It’s not important that you think too much but it’s important that you think enough and especially the right things. It was good. We both felt pretty good after the talk. Before, it’s like one piece of the whole cake, but after this talk we were both convinced we wanted to do it.
You were tracking Sadio Mane for four years. So when did Georginio first appear on your radar?
I have known him since he was a youth player at Rotterdam. I like watching players and following their way. Last year I had no opportunity because I had no club, and then he made the transfer to Newcastle. Actually I didn’t know in the first place that he played there. When we played against them, it was like ‘Oh, there he is’. Last year I didn’t watch him too much but I never forgot how well he performed at Eindhoven and as a very young boy in Rotterdam. That was quite impressive. He is really versatile and that’s how it should work. At the end, we should not have a squad with 35 players so to react we need players who can play in different positions and can really perform in different positions. Because all players can play in different positions but it’s not always possible to play to their level. For him, it’s quite easy. He is a midfield player in different positions, especially the centre, but the biggest difference to a lot of others is he can play on the wing too. Together with our other players, for sure he will help us.

Steve McLaren speaks:
I think it’s a fantastic move for him. I know him really well from my Holland days when he was at PSV and I always kept my eye on him. I had an opportunity to buy him and I had no hesitation because on the field he can play in various positions, he works and can score goals -- a big asset. In Newcastle, he played in midfield, he played a No. 10, he played on right side and left side and he showed his versatility, which was needed. He was a big, big player.
I used to watch him in Holland a lot when he was No. 10. He didn’t adjust to that very well in England and he played in central midfield. He’s got to find a best position. As he’s getting older, he needs to establish a position.
But it’s a great signing by Liverpool because Liverpool play in that flexible way and [Klopp] wants players who have a high energy, can press, can deal with the ball, can take the ball in tight situations and, most of all, score and assist. He’s fit, flexible and mobile. I remember one or two goals where he made unbelievable 80-yard sprints to get from one end into the other and in the box. He always arrives in the box at the right time and has that composure to be able to finish the move, which not a lot of players have. There’s more to come -- he’s just got to find the best position.

How did it go when you spoke to him and how nice is it when you hear a player’s excitement about coming to the club?
I met him and it was good. He is quite an adult. He was captain of PSV Eindhoven, the Dutch champions. At this young age, being the captain of a team doesn’t happen too often. He’s a real footballer and has a special kind of football smartness. When you speak about football and can hear when you speak to a player that you know about the questions he has, you think ‘OK, he thinks a lot about football’. It’s not important that you think too much but it’s important that you think enough and especially the right things. It was good. We both felt pretty good after the talk. Before, it’s like one piece of the whole cake, but after this talk we were both convinced we wanted to do it.

The "football smartness" which Klopp spoked about was also mentioned by Paul Simpson.

[article]According to Paul Simpson, McClaren's assistant coach during his time at the helm of St. James' Park, the midfielder's leadership skills and attitude were a big reason as to why Newcastle were so keen to make him the most expensive signing of Mike Ashley's reign of the club.

"We could see he was a leader of the team -- the top man for PSV in their championship-winning season," Simpson said. "We just knew that we would get assists from him, goals from him and that was the sort of thing that stood out to us.

"We just thought he was a really creative player who could stand up and grab a game by the scruff of the neck and try and get wins for the team."

Simpson continued: "He can talk a glass eye to sleep when it comes to talking about football. He's someone who can recognise problems on the pitch. If he has the trust of players around him, then he can actually solve any little issues on the pitch. He can see if for himself and, if people are prepared to listen, I'm quite sure he do that for Liverpool.

"I'm sure the experience of Newcastle for a year would have stood him in good stead because, as a young player, he probably hasn't experienced playing in a poor, struggling side. He struggled a little bit with that and actually standing up to the challenge and being the one who then went and took it on.

"When he was right, he was a real standout player for us. A game in particular that you look at, the Liverpool game at home when he was outstanding and got a goal, he was that sort of player who could do that and I think going into a good Liverpool side, he will stand out even more."[/article]

A conversation between Jürgen Klopp and Georginio Wijnaldum made both men certain that joining forces at Liverpool would be a wise decision.

The Reds swooped to sign the 25-year-old from Newcastle United on Friday, recruiting a midfielder who scored 11 goals in 38 Premier League appearances last season.
Klopp has been following the Dutchman’s development since his time at Feyenoord and explained that his versatility – and ability to thrive in different positions – was a major part of the appeal in bringing the club’s new No.5 to Anfield.
Speaking to Liverpoolfc.com in California once the transfer had been completed, the manager’s satisfaction with the deal was obvious. Read on for more.
Very! In a transfer period you watch a lot of players and have to think about a lot of things – what you need, who is on the market and what can help the team. If you find a player for a position where you think he could fit really well then that’s a moment when you feel really good. Then you start asking about possibilities and what the player and club think. At the end, after a long period of thinking, in this case it actually went really quickly. I’m really happy about this because each day we can work together helps all of us. Georginio brings some things into the squad – like Sadio [Mane], for example – that we didn’t have before. It doesn’t mean [there is] not quality; it’s a different natural skill and style of play if you want. To involve things like this in the game is really interesting. New players have two things to do – to perform at the highest level, of course, and to push all of the other players. That only works with quality. We haven’t signed one player who on the first day is fourth choice in their position. OK, Alex Manninger is not here for challenging Simon [Mignolet] and Loris [Karius], he’s here for helping and developing them and giving us the opportunity to send the young lads on loan or let Shamal [George] play in the U21s. We thought a lot about these signings and now I’m really happy.
You were tracking Sadio Mane for four years. So when did Georginio first appear on your radar?
I have known him since he was a youth player at Rotterdam. I like watching players and following their way. Last year I had no opportunity because I had no club, and then he made the transfer to Newcastle. Actually I didn’t know in the first place that he played there. When we played against them, it was like ‘Oh, there he is’. Last year I didn’t watch him too much but I never forgot how well he performed at Eindhoven and as a very young boy in Rotterdam. That was quite impressive. He is really versatile and that’s how it should work. At the end, we should not have a squad with 35 players so to react we need players who can play in different positions and can really perform in different positions. Because all players can play in different positions but it’s not always possible to play to their level. For him, it’s quite easy. He is a midfield player in different positions, especially the centre, but the biggest difference to a lot of others is he can play on the wing too. Together with our other players, for sure he will help us.

So he is our new goalkeeping coach. Manninger that is.

It is very interesting how Mourinho talks about "Specialists" and Klopp talks about "Versatility". They obviously have very different views on players they like but are still very successful in their own right.

Let's hope our "versatility" comes out top in the next 2-3 years.

[article]If he has the trust of players around him, then he can actually solve any little issues on the pitch. He can see if for himself and, if people are prepared to listen, I'm quite sure he do that for Liverpool.[/article]

It amuses me to imagine Souey wondering politely if his teammates were 'prepared to listen' to him. Anyway, this player sounds a good signing, although I hope he doesn't get moved around quite as much as it sounds. I'd like to see him make a position his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom