• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll #GetJohnAchterbergOut

Prefix for Poll Threads

#GetJohnAchterbergOut

• Yes

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Makes no difference

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid I have to disagree my old fruit. Having cuntish owners and not being very good are no excuses for being fat and shit. I don't remember the exact quote but Shankly spoke of not being able to support us when we win if you can't support us when we lose. That, with knobs on, also applies to those who get to wear the shirt. Reina was a fine goalkeeper, arguably our best since Clemence, but he was on a decline that showed no sign of being averted when we sold him.

Yeah, I think thats spot on. Our biggest mistake was obviously replacing Reina with Mignolet.
Its a bit weird, and poor for that matter, that Rodgers opted for a goalkeeper that has such limited distribution skills and is so nervous when in possession given he wanted us to play out from defence and keep possession. In hindsight, very weird.

I keep reading that we signed a succession of iffy keepers, but they weren't seen as such before they got here. I don't doubt Achterberg's industry, technical knowledge or openness to new ideas, but sadly they don't seem to have produced a payoff in terms of actual results. Can it all be down to the players alone?

I keep reading that we signed a succession of iffy keepers, but they weren't seen as such before they got here. I don't doubt Achterberg's industry, technical knowledge or openness to new ideas, but sadly they don't seem to have produced a payoff in terms of actual results. Can it all be down to the players alone?

It could also be down to the system(s) we play which may offer less protection to the goalkeeper than others.

That's certainly possible, but doesn't it then raise the further possibility that Achterberg isn't the type of coach best suited to operate within such a system?

Yeah, I think thats spot on. Our biggest mistake was obviously replacing Reina with Mignolet.
Its a bit weird, and poor for that matter, that Rodgers opted for a goalkeeper that has such limited distribution skills and is so nervous when in possession given he wanted us to play out from defence and keep possession. In hindsight, very weird.

Not the only weird, or stupid thing Rodgers did. But I also agree about Reina, a very good keeper, but his last season at Anfield was pretty horrible: he looked unfit, slow and saved hardly fucking anything.

That might have been a blip, given his improved form in Italy, but it was a poor show.

The most important thing for a goal keeping coach at the highest level is surely the mental aspect of the game.

As we've seen first hand time and time again, when our keepers start to lose confidence it's a swift decline :(

The most important thing for a goal keeping coach at the highest level is surely the mental aspect of the game.

As we've seen first hand time and time again, when our keepers start to lose confidence it's a swift decline :(

Or it is rectified by their wives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom