• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Getting to know you, getting to know....

I'm 'The Prof'

Not from KT however I am on Est. You'll probably hate me because I will start and use loads of smileys in a moment. ;D

Hello, Livvy. *waves*

[quote author=The_Prof link=topic=8256.msg780283#msg780283 date=1232133920]
Thank you Sheik, haven't seen your presence in a long time.

Nice avatar, Livvy. Suits you :p
[/quote]

Dan, Dar or Reggie?

[quote author=livvy185 link=topic=8256.msg780286#msg780286 date=1232133997]

Dan, Dar or Reggie?
[/quote]

Neither. Dar as in The Reaper?

[quote author=The_Prof link=topic=8256.msg780288#msg780288 date=1232134119]
[quote author=livvy185 link=topic=8256.msg780286#msg780286 date=1232133997]

Dan, Dar or Reggie?
[/quote]

Neither. Dar as in The Reaper?
[/quote]

Yep.

Oh, and welcome to the site. ;D

[quote author=The_Prof link=topic=8256.msg780283#msg780283 date=1232133920]

Thank you Sheik, haven't seen your presence in a long time.

[/quote]

You should have come over here sooner then.

[quote author=livvy185 link=topic=8256.msg780291#msg780291 date=1232134164]

Yep.

Oh, and welcome to the site. ;D
[/quote]

Nope. Good guess, why would I be The Prof then? Silly boy. THINK! and no, I'm not Fredo.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=8256.msg780284#msg780284 date=1232133954]
Sup yo.
[/quote]

Sup to you to my homie

[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=8256.msg780296#msg780296 date=1232134304]

[/quote]

Haven't seen you on EST for a long time. This place looks good though.

[quote author=The_Prof link=topic=8256.msg780300#msg780300 date=1232134462]

This place looks good though.

[/quote]

Glad you like it.

[quote author=Bristow link=topic=8256.msg780309#msg780309 date=1232135576]
welcome prof
[/quote]

Cheers mate. Like the avvy :eek:

[quote author=The_Prof link=topic=8256.msg780300#msg780300 date=1232134462]
[quote author=Sheik Yerbouti link=topic=8256.msg780296#msg780296 date=1232134304]

[/quote]

Haven't seen you on EST for a long time. This place looks good though.
[/quote]

Welcome to the dark siiiiiddddeeeee.

Bryan here....

37, born in St. Louis, Missouri, in the USA's middle. Now living just outside Indianapolis with a wonderful wife and three fantastic kids. 12, 10 and 4. Girl right in middle of the three. Brendan, Emily, Owen.

I've been a football nut since I can remember, as St. Louis in the 1970's and 80's was one of THE hotbeds for the game in the country. I played for years, a good striker on youth teams until I was 13 or so. Leading scorer most year. Back in the NASL days, I watched Cruyff and some other greats, but really don't remember much. But enough of that, on to LFC.

Although I knew of the great English teams growing up, watching them was pretty much impossible when I was younger. I did watch a lot of Bundesliga in the 70's and 80's as it was shown here, but no British Football. I discovered the Premiership in 1994, when working for Anheuser-Busch and travelling the PGA Golf Tour from city to city. Satellite dish television brought me several games per weekend, including the genius that was a young Robbie Fowler. Not only was he fucking brilliant beyond anything I had ever watched, the damn league was so captivating that I became hooked. The passion of the supporters, the history, the grounds, and the pace of the game were all electric. One of the first matches I remember (maybe it was highlights?) was the 4:33 second hat-trick against Arsenal. So I looked into this player, and this team.

LFC had an eerie similarity to my hometown team, the St. Louis Cardinals of Major League Baseball.

Legendary fans? - check
Considered knowledgeable beyond other fanbases? - check
1892 an important date? - check for both
Big success in the 80's and prior years, but on a bit of a downturn in the mid 90's? - check
Located in an unassuming location in the country that has a bit of a chip on it's shoulder? Perhaps overlooked more often than it should be as a city of culture, importance, and stature? - check for both again.
Wear Red? - check
I'm a big Beatles fan, and that helped as well.... Anheuser-Busch was the American distributor of Carlsberg too.

And that Fowler.... fucking hell. He's still my favorite footballer. The more I learned about the team around him, the fans, the history.... well, there were so many paralells, it seemed as though LFC picked me as much as I picked them.

I cannot explain it, why a team that I have never watched play in person has such a hold on me. Skipping out on a half day of work (salary guy, no problem) for European Wednesday games shown here at 2 pm in the afternoon, heading to a pub with a few other LFC Yanks... it's a bit of a badge of honor, fun as hell, and a secret little club if you will.

I've been to dozens of big time sporting events - The 1994 World Cup (Bulgaria were outstanding in person) - 7 Major League Baseball World Series games at 4 different Series - more than 15 Indianapolis 500's - 10 or so NASCAR races - attended the MLB games that Cal Ripken tied and broke Lou Gherig's record for games played - NCAA Final Four Basketball - NBA Playoffs - NFL Football - more than 75 PGA Tour Events - Notre Dame Football - and some others that I'm surely forgetting.

But going to Anfield and seeing Liverpool play? I don't really know how to describe my intense desire for it. I've long since stopped trying to justify it or explain it to people. The family dog is aptly named "FOWLER."

The young kids, a house for sale, etc. make it an impossibility to fly to Liverpool right now, but I'm keep singing loudly from across the pond while drinking a beer in the afternoon when I should be working, as well as watching all the televised games and watching on the internet those that are harder to find.

Cheers,
Bryan in Indy

Top man.
Welcome and dont fret, we're the oot'er friendliest lfc webby in the world fo sho.

you're the man bryan ... welcome and my sister went to Wash U, so I spent a weekend in that city ... enjoyed it.

It occured to me that despite being a member here for a year and a bit, i never actually said much. So awwwwwww here goes:

I was born in Fairfield, Liverpool. Its between Old Swan and Kensington.
The neighbourhood was nice like, but the schools were shite.
Therefore we moved to Formby, and my Dad sold up his shop (deli/newsagent type place.)
I lived at my Grandads until we could move in, and I hated Primary School. I truly loathed it at times; though i daresay it was for petty reasons. I was the sort of kid who would always ask questions and it pissed the teachers off as their rudimentary knowledge didn't satisfy my geeky hunger for the truth.

Finally I left that place and went to high school, which was decent enough overall. I passed my GCSEs too, the only important bit of my 5 year stay there. My main issue, and something that will always be part of me: I don't let things go easily, and up until about 14, i was incredibly dependent on people, thus alienating myself from society. I became unsociable and generally did fuck all, and starting doing stupid things, until i got arrested age 12. I cried like a little bitch that day, cos i realised i'd been fucking away my life, and worse still, no-one trusted me anymore. Especially my peeps, a problem that only recently ebbed away.

I finally got with the crowd i'm with now about a year later, and it seemed we had the following groups in school via which people hung around:

Goths/emos
nerds/oddballs
popular bellends
the fake tan crew
the smokers
the dope users
the football players
and finally, the rejects, us.

It might seem a long, roundabout way of saying look at me, i',m a dickhead, but in all honesty its not.

Anyway. About 30 months ago, i was diagnosed with epilepsy and once more slid into the 'whats the fucking point of life' theory and kept making life difficult for myself, especially since i have the amazing ability to be the biggest social retard possible, and thus girls stayed as far away as possible. To top things off epilepsy wise, i was discharged, before having another fit about a month later, which seemed to be a real blow confidence wise. My Grandad passed away last Novermber, and things have only recently started to get back to normal. I Just hope 2009 can be a better year than 2008, and that i don't fuck up my AS levels, and my chances of getting into uni.

Phew.

[quote author=SummerOnions link=topic=8256.msg801062#msg801062 date=1234132302]
It occured to me that despite being a member here for a year and a bit, i never actually said much. So awwwwwww here goes:

I finally got with the crowd i'm with now about a year later, and it seemed we had the following groups in school via which people hung around:

Goths/emos
nerds/oddballs
popular bellends
the fake tan crew
the smokers
the dope users
the football players
and finally, the rejects, us.

[/quote]

Erm just out on interest, which one was I in?

Fuck it mate, nail the a levels, get away to uni and start a fresh.

[quote author=SummerOnions link=topic=8256.msg801746#msg801746 date=1234204732]
ha. Popular bellends mate.

I assumed you knew that though.
[/quote]

Ah, if you say so.

I never thought of it being split up so much though. And your not a reject mate.

maybe not, but it makes sense really. There were those catagories, and the people who didn't fit in to those (me) hung around together.

What else would you call it?

I dunno but 'rejects' makes it sound like you just didnt fit in. Which isn't true. Besides, those social groups are stupid.

You define them then.

I actually found it difficult to leave it there, but i could't be arsed.

haha. I guess.

I didn't mean the ones you had defined are stupid. I meant in general. Guess I phrased it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom