• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gini wish granted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A four year contract would be insane. Three years is pushing it. Extension options, great, but some realism is needed here.
Far from insane it makes perfect financial sense and Gini (and his agent) know it.

We're offering a substantial increase in his salary and a 3 year contract. Losing him for zilch in the Summer makes no sense at all, that's at the very least £20m down the drain (when on a multi-year contract) and yet giving him the 4 year contract he wants would only cost us an extra £6m on our offer and we'd then have the option to sell on in a couple of years if we really wanted to, recouping any extra outlay.

Yeah, but why just compare the extra for a 4 year contract with what we lose if he leaves for free?

As you say that gives 6M vs 20M ... a no brainer. Now compare the full cost of the 4 year contract (including the 3 years already offered and the increase), that we would not be spending on him if he leaves, and it is more like 24M vs 20M ... maybe not such a no brainer, from a financial perspective.

I know there are other factors (like the salary of a replacement), but just focussing on the cost of one extra year diminishes your argument

Maybe the later in his career, midfield Barnes. As impressive as Gini has been he is no way close to the early middle career Barnes.
I'm just looking at their dribbling techniques and the way they carry the ball forward.

Last edited:
Yeah, but why just compare the extra for a 4 year contract with what we lose if he leaves for free?

As you say that gives 6M vs 20M ... a no brainer. Now compare the full cost of the 4 year contract (including the 3 years already offered and the increase), that we would not be spending on him if he leaves, and it is more like 24M vs 20M ... maybe not such a no brainer, from a financial perspective.

I know there are other factors (like the salary of a replacement), but just focussing on the cost of one extra year diminishes your argument
But the club have already agreed to a 3 year contract so that financial cost clearly doesn't concern them. It's all about the extra year (which from a financial standpoint makes no sense since that cost can easily be amortised).

I'll be terrified if he leaves. He's been our most consistent and often best midfielder for our best stretch of results that I can remember. He strikes me as a player who will have a terrific period in his 30s. He's still getting better somehow.

Maybe the later in his career, midfield Barnes. As impressive as Gini has been he is no way close to the early middle career Barnes.

True, but he's waaaaay better than Digger was in MF. Once Digger could no longer play left wing he was a pale shadow of the player he'd been, whereas Gini just keeps on keepin' on. I guess the club's trying to avoid setting a precedent and giving hostages to fortune, but they'd better be sure it's worth taking this stand.

Far from insane it makes perfect financial sense and Gini (and his agent) know it.

We're offering a substantial increase in his salary and a 3 year contract.

So that 'dramatically changed financial climate' didn't last long, did it! With fans unlikely to be fully back until next season, and FSG only doing fewer, much reduced and carefully staggered signings (and even bombing promising young players out of the club to SAVE wages!), we give a new contract with a substantial increase to his salary? He probably won't even be in the team in two years time. Even when the club was financially far more stable the policy was for either short term, well-remunerated deals or else longer but lower-paid arrangements. Don't get me wrong, I really like him and unlike some I've never under-appreciated his contribution, but I just don't see this as very sensible. A shorter deal with a couple of possible extensions would surely be more in keeping with how FSG usually operate (and that's how Milner's post-30 contract deals were structured).

True, but he's waaaaay better than Digger was in MF.

To be fair, though, they hardly had the same roles in midfield. Barnes (whose achilles tendons had been wrecked) reinvented himself to take over Molby's role, and as far as I'm concerned he did it extremely well for quite a while. Comparing him in midfield to Gini is a bit like comparing Ray Houghton to Fab.

If Gini was leaving some other massive European club on a free and we weren't in for him everyone would be going off their heads about how small time we are. Noone would be bothered about giving him a big signing on fee. I don't get how this is now any different, given the stage we've got to.

If he'd been earning big bucks and holding us to ransom then yeah I'd be reluctant, but he's one of the lowest paid in the senior squad, and his last eighteen months have been a lot better than his first.

But the club have already agreed to a 3 year contract so that financial cost clearly doesn't concern them. It's all about the extra year (which from a financial standpoint makes no sense since that cost can easily be amortised).
No - you have to think about the whole cost.

For (fictitious) example: I am living in rented accommodation and it is costing me a small fortune (25K per year). I want to buy a house and I have a budget of 250K when I take into account my savings and the cost of a mortgage.

I find the ideal home, on the market at 300K, that would suit me, so I make an offer of 250K. The seller says he will sell for 270K.

Now I can sit there & say - its only an extra 20K and not paying that means I would have to continue to cough up 25K rent, so its a no brainer. But the reality is I wouldn't just be spending 20K, I would have to spend 270K and so its a non starter.

You say "Hey, but you already committed to 250K, so what's the problem?", I say "I haven't got 270K"

No - you have to think about the whole cost.

For (fictitious) example: I am living in rented accommodation and it is costing me a small fortune (25K per year). I want to buy a house and I have a budget of 250K when I take into account my savings and the cost of a mortgage.

I find the ideal home, on the market at 300K, that would suit me, so I make an offer of 250K. The seller says he will sell for 270K.

Now I can sit there & say - its only an extra 20K and not paying that means I would have to continue to cough up 25K rent, so its a no brainer. But the reality is I wouldn't just be spending 20K, I would have to spend 270K and so its a non starter.

You say "Hey, but you already committed to 250K, so what's the problem?", I say "I haven't got 270K"
Haha so Liverpool don't have the extra £6m ;) Sorry but the analogy doesn't really work. Personally I don't think it's got anything to do with the money and it's simply a case of setting an example.

So that 'dramatically changed financial climate' didn't last long, did it! With fans unlikely to be fully back until next season, and FSG only doing fewer, much reduced and carefully staggered signings (and even bombing promising young players out of the club to SAVE wages!), we give a new contract with a substantial increase to his salary? He probably won't even be in the team in two years time. Even when the club was financially far more stable the policy was for either short term, well-remunerated deals or else longer but lower-paid arrangements. Don't get me wrong, I really like him and unlike some I've never under-appreciated his contribution, but I just don't see this as very sensible. A shorter deal with a couple of possible extensions would surely be more in keeping with how FSG usually operate (and that's how Milner's post-30 contract deals were structured).
But we have already committed to the first 3 years so financial prudence isn't the issue, and should Gini stays another two years (for example) then the extra commitment doesn't even come into play and we would likely be able to sell him, even at 32, for £10-15m thereby even covering the majority or all of the cost of the first two years.

If he stays the full 4 then that would be our choice and surely he'd have been worth it.

Haha so Liverpool don't have the extra £6m ;) Sorry but the analogy doesn't really work. Personally I don't think it's got anything to do with the money and it's simply a case of setting an example.

Don't argue with Froggy. He's like one of those elderly labradors that just grab a frisbee and hang by it even when you hold it up and move it around. It's no fun for anyone, it takes loads of time and effort, and at the end of it he just yawns and goes off for a crap.

Untitled.jpg

[article]
Jurgen Klopp has revealed Gini Wijnaldum’s rallying cry ahead of Liverpool’s midweek win over Tottenham.

After Klopp’s recent plea for his side to start games quickly, Wijnaldum was keen to enforce that at Anfield in midweek.

The previous 1-1 result at Fulham had seen the champions labour in the first half and go in at the break 1-0 down. After a half-time team talk though the Reds came out firing and forced a 1-1 draw.

And there was no repeat of the poor early showing at Anfield against Spurs as Mo Salah fired them ahead in a first half they dominated.

Klopp said: “Gini, before the Tottenham game in the dressing room, shouted to the dressing room: ‘Don’t waste the first-half!'”
[/article]

He’s off isn’t he? “I need a few more days to think it over” when he can sign for anyone in Europe next week.

[article]
Georginio Wijnaldum has asked Liverpool for more time before deciding whether to accept a new contract offer from the club.

The Dutchman will be a free agent in the summer and can talk to clubs from abroad from 1 January. Liverpool and Jürgen Klopp would like to see the 30-year-old stay but have so far not been able to convince him to sign the new deal.

Liverpool presented their new contract offer to Wijnaldum at the start of December but the player said this week that he would like a few more days to decide on this future.

He has promised Liverpool that he will let the club know of his decision before he starts talking to any clubs, should he decide that his future lies elsewhere.

The Dutchman arrived at Liverpool in 2016 on a deal worth an initial £23m and has won the Premier League and the Champions League during his time at the club.
[/article]

He’s off isn’t he? “I need a few more days to think it over” when he can sign for anyone in Europe next week.

[article]
Georginio Wijnaldum has asked Liverpool for more time before deciding whether to accept a new contract offer from the club.

The Dutchman will be a free agent in the summer and can talk to clubs from abroad from 1 January. Liverpool and Jürgen Klopp would like to see the 30-year-old stay but have so far not been able to convince him to sign the new deal.

Liverpool presented their new contract offer to Wijnaldum at the start of December but the player said this week that he would like a few more days to decide on this future.

He has promised Liverpool that he will let the club know of his decision before he starts talking to any clubs, should he decide that his future lies elsewhere.

The Dutchman arrived at Liverpool in 2016 on a deal worth an initial £23m and has won the Premier League and the Champions League during his time at the club.
[/article]

Cant blame him for wanting to see what's out there, really. If interest isnt strong enough, then he re-signs.

One last payday,maybe, and who would blame him? He’ll likely get a tidy signing-on fee (remember how much Can and Ramsey got out of Juventus?)

Can't remember exactly but I think he handled his departure from Newcastle in a similar way, so we can't say we haven't been warned.

Cant blame him for wanting to see what's out there, really. If interest isnt strong enough, then he re-signs.

His agent should’ve already sounded out what’s out there. Unless he was after that barca move and he’s still sounding out their actual offer.

I don't think it's just about what other options he has but also how much time he is going to get at Liverpool if he stays. If he signs on for another 3 years then at the moment he has already seen Jones come in and stake a very strong claim. Thiago is almost guaranteed a place if he can stay fit and the same goes for Keita, if he can stay fit, in some games where his skill set is a better option than Gini (assuming we have two from Fabs + Hendo + Thiago behind him).

We can all foresee his playing time decreasing over those 3 years. So going somewhere where there is currently less competition and where he can potentially win league titles (if not CL titles) e.g. Spain or France, may be an attractive option. In fact playing in France or Italy could even extend his longevity.

I don't think it's just about what other options he has but also how much time he is going to get at Liverpool if he stays. If he signs on for another 3 years then at the moment he has already seen Jones come in and stake a very strong claim. Thiago is almost guaranteed a place if he can stay fit and the same goes for Keita, if he can stay fit, in some games where his skill set is a better option than Gini (assuming we have two from Fabs + Hendo + Thiago behind him).

We can all foresee his playing time decreasing over those 3 years. So going somewhere where there is currently less competition and where he can potentially win league titles (if not CL titles) e.g. Spain or France, may be an attractive option. In fact playing in France or Italy could even extend his longevity.
Im not sure about this. He's one of the first names on the sheet. He's proved his value with other players coming into the club and not being able to shift him from the starting 11 time and time again.

Players tend to back themselves too.

It will be down to wanting to play in Spain, or cash imo.

Im not sure about this. He's one of the first names on the sheet. He's proved his value with other players coming into the club and not being able to shift him from the starting 11 time and time again.

Players tend to back themselves too.

It will be down to wanting to play in Spain, or cash imo.

Same here - he is one of the few who is mostly fit in our team, that alone should be worth something to us, all our other midfielders are just injury prone and I include Henderson in that list - who I always worry is going to go missing after a strong challenge. The situation with Thiago should have been expected as he had a bad attendance record at Bayern, but honestly if he goes we will be living on the edge with our midfield choices, for now at least both Gini and Henderson have been available for us for most games. Relying on the likes of Shaq, OX, Keita , and Thiago is a fucking joke.

You think the guy playing 50 games a season for us is concerned he may not get enough game time because of Keita and Thiago? He probably wishes the two lazy cunts would give him a weekend off once every year or so.

You think the guy playing 50 games a season for us is concerned he may not get enough game time because of Keita and Thiago? He probably wishes the two lazy cunts would give him a weekend off once every year or so.
Yes. History not being a predictor of the future (and the fact we have had so many injuries meaning he has to play doesn't mean he will play as much when we have a full rota, because clearly that won't be the case, as in when he missed out starting against Barca in the return).

He's 30 yrs old now and will be 33 (34 if he gets his way on the new contract) when the new contract finishes. He won't be playing 50 games a season.

I've already listed the reasons why. If you disagree you are going to have to tear the logic down.

Last edited:
Ha Ha, I love this post could give you a hundred likes for it.

Maybe I'm the only one but I don't care if he fucks off.

I want him to stay to be like another milner; an aging but versatile player

But he's fucking 1 dimensional at times and it's a fucking hinderence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom