• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Haaland

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
Fucking monster, he will break Salahs record. Pisses me off we went for Mini instead of Haaland when he went to Dortmund for £17m...City paid something like £55m + £60m in fees, but they look like they got a bargain now.
Nunez will take time, he took a season at Benefica to get going.

Fucking monster, he will break Salahs record. Pisses me off we went for Mini instead of Haaland when he went to Dortmund for £17m...City paid something like £55m + £60m in fees, but they look like they got a bargain now.
Nunez will take time, he took a season at Benefica to get going.

I know its weird, he already has like 10 goals in the pl ? - if he continues at this rate and stays fit - I reckon he will get like 50 to 60 in the season, and unless some other team can play as well as Man City and get a striker like Haaland in the future - there is no way that record goes. But this does highlight something for City and the world of the old school striker - fox in the box. City create so many chances that all they needed was that one guy up front to put the fucking ball away as has been shown by most of his goals which have been tap-ins. I mean he hardly has to use any of his pace - which means that he is less likely to get injured, and more likely to score 45+ goals in the league.

Nunez will come good, but it seems he is being rushed in games - maybe trying too hard. Hopefully he can adapt to our team quickly, and we adapt to him.

He highlights three things for me.

First how shit Sterline and Jesus were that he can just walk in and start tapping in hattricks while they were struggling to hit 15 goals a season in the same team.
Second when Ronaldo/Messi/Lewandowski posted those sort of numbers we scoffed at their leagues being shite and anybody half decent could do it playing for Barca/Madrid. Maybe the PL is not nearly as competitive as we thought.
Third, and this is now obvious to everyone, we massively overpaid for Nunez relative to the market.

First how shit Sterline and Jesus were that he can just walk in and start tapping in hattricks while they were struggling to hit 15 goals a season in the same team.
Second when Ronaldo/Messi/Lewandowski posted those sort of numbers we scoffed at their leagues being shite and anybody half decent could do it playing for Barca/Madrid. Maybe the PL is not nearly as competitive as we thought.
Third, and this is now obvious to everyone, we massively overpaid for Nunez relative to the market.
We definitely over paid for Nunez but he was a tradition CF we missed tall, fast and can score a goal, he was the next best after Haaland. We all knew it would take him time to adapt to a new team and system.
Sterling was a winger and Jesus is clicking for the Arse

Our team is discombobulated mainly through injury, then form which has in turn hit confidence.

Yep - they should have had the top goal-scorers in the league every season. They have got someone who is on KDB's level of understanding in terms of his positioning to receive his balls to score.

On the 2nd point - I think that is misleading somewhat, the league is only competitive if there are rivals that can challenge one another - you won't get teams that are 8th playing as well as Newcastle did against City in the other leagues. I always feel that whenever Bayern or Real Madrid/Barca lose to a lower team, its because the players could not be bothered - not because it was tough for them.

I think Nunez deserves time before we make a judgement on him.

I’m clinging to some of the possible negatives brought up in several podcasts relating to him. Mainly that he’s sort of streaky in that he can be quiet for a few months a season, he picks up knocks occasionally and City might become used to playing with him making them struggle a little more when he’s missing.

But yea apparently he’s on course for 80 goals or something this season, he looks fantastic and I’m absolutely sick of seeing his face already.

No use of comparing, neither with the other city players nor with Darwin.
Haaland is a striker, completely different than Jesus and Sterling. If anything, look at Aguero.

As for Nunez, Haaland was never coming to LFC, so that debate kind of ends right there.

I like Haaland and he will surpass everyone's record easily.

He's one of those anomalies that every generation produce. So there was Messi and Ronaldo, and now there's Haaland.

I'm gonna be controversial and say this - if Nunez was playing for City, he wont be hitting those numbers like Haaland's doing now.

It just seems to me that Haaland's miles ahead in terms of mental prowess. Nunez's more of the emotional, sensitive sort. Haaland just doesn't give a toss and makes fun of his bullies and finds opportunities to eat them alive later - a bit like Zlatan.

If Nunez was playing for Pep Guardiola, he would be crying in his tea every other week when Pep relegates him to the bench, or fines him.

He's going to set all sorts of record. Hopefully, Real Madrid will sign him as Benzema's replacement.

Last edited:
I was hoping to come in here to the news his ACL had gone.

Has he improved City? After 6 league games last season they’d won 4, lost 1 and drawn one. They had scored 13 which included games against Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea.

He maybe getting all the goals but as a collective, are they better?

Don’t forget he shouldn’t have scored against Palace, never mind 3, then missed games against Forest (scored 3), Villa (1) and spurs.

Doesn’t he have another incredibly low release fee that kicks in after 2 years?
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...hester-City-release-clause-CUT-150m-2025.html

[article]Admirers of Erling Haaland have been handed a boost with the Norwegian striker's release clause reportedly falling to £150million in 2025.

Haaland's representatives have made it commonplace in his recent contracts that release clauses are included and his deal with Man City is said to be no different.

Now, Spanish publication Marca have detailed how the second of two release clauses - the first of £172m triggered in 2024 - drops by £22m from 2025, opening the door to any potential suitors. [/article]

I don't think Haaland is a fair stick to beat Nunez with. He was always going to go to one of two clubs in the world, and it's an absolute freak.

It's Isak that is raising questions about Darwin...
The Isak that has one goal and missed two huge chances vs Palace? That Isak?

1st - Man City's set up makes it easier for a goal scorer to get tons of goals. See Aguero. You put Mo there, or Nunez, they'd be scoring more. High % of possession, and lots of chances. Pep's set up - when fully backed by oil kingdoms - with a great striker will make any team in any league score goals at this rate. It just highlights that a 'good finisher' is - and what Man City had before with Jesus and Sterlin as you say.

2nd - Nunez's overall cost is far cheaper than Haaland's if you take everything that we know into account (agent fees etc). There's probably even more money being pushed that we'll never know about ... I think Nunez went for a slightly expensive market price but to take shots at the fee etc because of Haaland's explosion is unnecessary. Nunez may never be as good as Haaland numbers wise - but his start is far tougher. A team in full transition trying to adapt to him ... All Haaland has to do is just stay in the box and he'll get 5+ opportunities a game because everything is set up there.

Mbappe turned down RM to remain in the farmers league.
I really can't see him moving unless he really wants to win the CL. If its about pure money, he is at the right place

Some points to make there :
a) we don't know what figures Nunez is going to post so it is really way way too early to be saying we overpaid (and please don't compare to Haaland because if Nunez hits just 20 goals it will have been worth it).
b) We paid what, £64m ? Forget about the 'bonuses' at this stage because if we have to start paying them then of course he'll have been worth it. £64m is far from an inflated figure in this market.
c) Haaland's true worth was never £55m (I don't get why the media doesn't quote his true cost to City. Although they usually like to boost figures maybe in his case they are trying to portray him as a bargain, weird). Without that ridiculously low buyout fee he'd have been £150-200m (inc. agent's/father's fees) so if you want to see what he actually cost this is the reported breakdown (BILD) :

German publication BILD has reported today that the total amounts for signing Borussia Dortmund and Norwegian megastar Erling Haaland will total some €355m. This is how it would be broken down, according to them:
  • €75m for his release clause + €10m in add ons
  • €40m commission for Mino Raiola (Haaland’s agent)
  • €30m commission for Alf-Inge Haaland (Erling’s father)
  • €40m in wages per year spread over five years (€200m in total)
  • Total: €355m
Not such an easy comparison any more is it ;)

Last edited:

Has he improved City? After 6 league games last season they’d won 4, lost 1 and drawn one. They had scored 13 which included games against Arsenal, Tottenham and Chelsea.

He maybe getting all the goals but as a collective, are they better?
A fair question. Time will tell because it's way too early to say yet.

a) we don't know what figures Nunez is going to post so it is really way way too early to be saying we overpaid (and please don't compare to Haaland because if Nunez hits just 20 goals it will have been worth it).
b) We paid what, £64m ? Forget about the 'bonuses' at this stage because if we have to start paying them then of course he'll have been worth it. £64m is far from an inflated figure in this market.
c) Haaland's true worth was never £55m (I don't get why does the media doesn't quote his true cost to City. Although they usually like to boost figures maybe in his case they are trying to portray him as a bargain, weird). Without that ridiculously low buyout fee he'd have been £150-200m (inc. agent's/father's fees) so if you want to see what he actually cost this is the reported breakdown (BILD) :

German publication BILD has reported today that the total amounts for signing Borussia Dortmund and Norwegian megastar Erling Haaland will total some €355m. This is how it would be broken down, according to them:
As I understood it he gets paid less than KDB. Anyway, if he gets them league and CL he has repaid that.
Abu Dhabi will make him a Tourism Advisor/Ambassador when Madrid come knocking paying him £2m per week, no way can Madrid compete with an oil rich state has never seen better times

c) Haaland's true worth was never £55m (I don't get why does the media doesn't quote his true cost to City. Although they usually like to boost figures maybe in his case they are trying to portray him as a bargain, weird). Without that ridiculously low buyout fee he'd have been £150-200m (inc. agent's/father's fees) so if you want to see what he actually cost this is the reported breakdown (BILD) :

Wages are not included in a discussion about transfer fees paid, for the very obvious reason that if you sell the player after a season or two you don't pay the wages. So saying that Darwins real cost is only £64m and not including wages or bonus payments v £300m for Haaland is highly dubious.

I agree that the payments to Raoila are disgusting and I don't understand why any player would go along with that.

Wages are not included in a discussion about transfer fees paid, for the very obvious reason that if you sell the player after a season or two you don't pay the wages. So saying that Darwins real cost is only £64m and not including wages or bonus payments v £300m for Haaland is highly dubious.

I agree that the payments to Raoila are disgusting and I don't understand why any player would go along with that.

Because he seems to have always got player to where they wanted, regardless of what the team wanted.
He was efficient at what he did.
Mind you, no player will go along with that anymore ...

You can't ignore the add ons and agent fees for Nunez.. but include them for Haaland.

I get your point. There is a side by side which shows if all earned, Nunez is cheaper.

using just the fee that Dortmund received for Haaland is a bit misleading given (allegedly) the agent took 40m and his dad took a further 30m in 'commissions'

EDIT: I agree that if we start bringing that in it needs to be in every player's comparison

Our best hope for Haaland is that City come under FFP pressure (lol) and sell him in 2 years time to Real/Barca/whoever for £150m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom