• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Harvey Elliott

Status
Not open for further replies.
This gets said a lot, but he came on against Chelsea and played well, and helped us get back a bit of control. I think he has something to offer.

Though it was late in the game and Chelsea had tired BIG TIME by then ...

My concern with Elliot has always been something he cannot control - we don't play to his strengths.
Regardless, he's clearly a hard working lad and the skill is there.
He'll eventually figure it out in the midfield of Klopp's 4-3-3 ...

Every time I've seen him he gets muscled off the ball too easily. He tries but thats what we don't need.

Unless we start playing with a dedicated attacking mid, it's just a waste of his time. He just isn't good enough in midfield.
I'm in no rush to sell, but what good is a loan going to do if we don't start playing in a way that suits his strengths?

Not sure what the point would be of loaning him out. If you think that he can't play in our system right now then the only way to fix that would be to teach him to play in our system. Sending him off to play for another team that he might fit into better might help him, but not us. So, no.

We shouldn't sell him either. Apart from him being a good player, we don't have many midfielders. The same players can't play every week, and I would rather we didn't lose another one.

Unless we suddenly remember how to sign players quickly in the next few weeks, Elliott will likely play a fair bit. We can then see how good he is and whether he is improving.

Well his chances are diminishing quite quickly.
Szobo, Mac, Thiago, Curtis ahead of him.
Looks like we're signing Gravenberch too.
If we buy a right back then you can add Trent to the list as well.

Klopp even prefers Doak over him on the right wing.

The signings of Szobo and MacAllister suggest Klopp may be slowly moving to a more fluid, attacking midfield, compared to the flat, hard working one we've been used to.

I think Elliott could work as a midfielder in a 4-3-3, but it would have to be a Guardiola style system with lots of movement a fluidity from the two attacking midfielders into the number 10 space.

He wouldn't work in the rigid midfield of the Klopp 4-3-3 of 2019-2020.

Chelsea cameo was probably the best I’ve seen him play, depends what offers came in…would be hard to turn down a 40m bid, reckon we should keep him as an impact sub player.

The bottom line is, does his offensive contributions cover for his defensive short comings?
Right now the answer is no.

Well his chances are diminishing quite quickly.
Szobo, Mac, Thiago, Curtis ahead of him.
Looks like we're signing Gravenberch too.
If we buy a right back then you can add Trent to the list as well.

Klopp even prefers Doak over him on the right wing.

This time last year people were saying the same about Jones. He pushed on a bit at the end of last season, why not see if Elliott can do the same this season?

This time last year people were saying the same about Jones. He pushed on a bit at the end of last season, why not see if Elliott can do the same this season?
A bit different for Curtis though. He has the size, played an important role for England's u21s this summer and played well last season.
Harvey needs to step it up

He's 20, and is already making solid but inconsistent contributions to the first team. He's a great young squad player and he's got plenty of time to grow to be more than that, stop forcing him to be something he doesn't need to be yet.

if it doesn't work out for him long term, as the very least we'll have made a profitable return on his asset.

There was a window at the start of last season where he was keeping both Henderson and Thiago on the bench, such was his impact on our game and his ability to pass and move and link up play. He always will be questionable off the ball, but if his use of the ball is on song then he has plenty to offer. He's a Liverpool fan, happy to be in a squad role for the time being, with cheap wages. I'm not sure how his career will pan out, but for now, there's no immediate rush to sell. If the midfield was settled then a Prem Loan would be a good option, but we do not have that luxury.

He's 20, and is already making solid but inconsistent contributions to the first team. He's a great young squad player and he's got plenty of time to grow to be more than that, stop forcing him to be something he doesn't need to be yet.

You wrote "stop forcing him to be something he doesn't need to be yet", and you're right Harvey is 20 years old and it's at this age he has to start proving his worth.
I'm not forcing him to be anything, at 20 Trent was our starting right back and was part of the team that almost won the league and the CL.
Yes, "corner taken quickly..." that's 20 year old Trent.
So for his own sake, Harvey needs to up his game and unfortunately LFC is not a club where you get all the time in the world.

A bit different for Curtis though. He has the size, played an important role for England's u21s this summer and played well last season.
Harvey needs to step it up

That was my point. LAST year people (possibly you included, I can't recall) were saying Jones should go, he's way behind everyone, etc etc.

Since then he has started playing well. Elliott is a few years younger than Jones.

Yes, Elliott does need to step up, but surely there are enough signs to at least give him a chance to do so.

You wrote "stop forcing him to be something he doesn't need to be yet", and you're right Harvey is 20 years old and it's at this age he has to start proving his worth.
I'm not forcing him to be anything, at 20 Trent was our starting right back and was part of the team that almost won the league and the CL.
Yes, "corner taken quickly..." that's 20 year old Trent.
So for his own sake, Harvey needs to up his game and unfortunately LFC is not a club where you get all the time in the world.
Comparing him to Trent is a bit ridiculous, Trents a generational talent, I have high hopes for Harvey, but he's not a generational talent, expectations need to be tempered. Either way, I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but I'd argue he's already showing his worth, he just needs to build on that and start showing steady improvements over the next two years in consistency and physicality. Obviously it's different with some players, but the 20-23 age bracket is when most players grow from a prospect on the periphery to a consistent first teamer. Alexis is a good example of this, that's what Harvey needs to do now, and whilst he's on that journey he's a great option from the bench and to be starting cup games, and even the occasional league game. If he's not progressed this time in two years, I'd agree maybe we need to move him on, but not until then.

Comparing him to Trent is a bit ridiculous, Trents a generational talent, I have high hopes for Harvey, but he's not a generational talent, expectations need to be tempered. Either way, I don't disagree with the rest of your post, but I'd argue he's already showing his worth, he just needs to build on that and start showing steady improvements over the next two years in consistency and physicality. Obviously it's different with some players, but the 20-23 age bracket is when most players grow from a prospect on the periphery to a consistent first teamer. Alexis is a good example of this, that's what Harvey needs to do now, and whilst he's on that journey he's a great option from the bench and to be starting cup games, and even the occasional league game. If he's not progressed this time in two years, I'd agree maybe we need to move him on, but not until then.

What you're saying is true, it is normally at this time a player starts showing his worth.
I'd normally have all the time in the world for a 20 year old player.
Our opinions differ when it comes to his talent. You think he has it in him, I kinda don't. I haven't fully given up on him but I'm getting there.

That was my point. LAST year people (possibly you included, I can't recall) were saying Jones should go, he's way behind everyone, etc etc.

Since then he has started playing well. Elliott is a few years younger than Jones.

Yes, Elliott does need to step up, but surely there are enough signs to at least give him a chance to do so.
I admit that I didn't have that much belief in Curtis either but I always maintained that he could be a squad player, a 4-5th option.
And that's what he is right now.

It's different with Harvey, because he can't defend.

I think Elliott can be an excellent player in a team that caters to his particular skillset - I'm not sure that'll ever be us but at this stage it's worth giving him another couple of seasons.

I think Elliott can be an excellent player in a team that caters to his particular skillset - I'm not sure that'll ever be us but at this stage it's worth giving him another couple of seasons.

You know what - I was really pleased with the way he did his stuff against Chelsea, and the moments he had in the U21. If you watched the U21 - you could see his class and intelligence compared to the rest of the of team, no way he should go out on loan. At some point Klopp will have to trust him as a 10 and also as cover for Mo. I don't think the way we used him last season was right, but we have a very brilliant clever player in him. I do not want to lose him and I really hope Klopp uses him as a 10 during this season when he brings him on.

You know what - I was really pleased with the way he did his stuff against Chelsea, and the moments he had in the U21. If you watched the U21 - you could see his class and intelligence compared to the rest of the of team, no way he should go out on loan. At some point Klopp will have to trust him as a 10 and also as cover for Mo. I don't think the way we used him last season was right, but we have a very brilliant clever player in him. I do not want to lose him and I really hope Klopp uses him as a 10 during this season when he brings him on.
I agree with most of that but he isn't a cover for Mo. in any shape or form. Happily we now have Doak and Szobo for that.

I agree with most of that but he isn't a cover for Mo. in any shape or form. Happily we now have Doak and Szobo for that.

He can play in Mo's position in my view - what did he do at Blackburn ? - I mean that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom