• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

He ain't gonna make it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Modo

A contentious scando
Jürgen Klopp has explained Liverpool are aiming to have Joe Gomez, Joel Matip and Virgil van Dijk back in training during pre-season for 2021-22.

The three central defenders are each currently sidelined with long-term injuries and undergoing rehabilitation programmes at the AXA Training Centre.

During his press conference on Saturday afternoon, Klopp was asked whether potential involvement at the European Championships for Gomez and Van Dijk would be beneficial for their fitness.

“That’s not my decision. But, to be honest, the information I have in the moment [is] it will be unlikely,” the Reds manager replied.

“So, not that I don’t let them go because I don’t want to have to do that anyway, but it’s because of the extent of the injury. We all hope that they will be ready to start the pre-season with us. That’s what we hope.

“And, by the way, with Joel it’s pretty much the same, he’s just not qualified for the Euros but it’s with him the same.

“These are really serious injuries. And it’s not about now that we talk [about] which competition they can play. As far as I know – and I’m always open for positive surprises, now they all of a sudden show up in team training – but nobody told me that.

“The two of them [Gomez and Van Dijk] look in the moment better than Joel looks because he’s still in his [what] looks like skiing boots. But he is here as well. Joe is not running, Virgil is already running, but this is really a tough one.

“We are completely over the moon when they are ready to train with us for the start of pre-season. About the Euros, I didn’t think about it.

“I don’t know when you would have to be back that you are able to play the Euros. The week before? The day when the Euros start? I don’t know. That’s it. I understand maybe the need of that but we cannot make this decision and we will not.

“It’s just about when they will be fit, they will be fit. That’s how it is.”

-------------------

No Van Dijk this season.
But I'm certain that he isn't gonna miss the Euro's.

I reckon Matip will be injured by then anyway. Why we're banking on him for anything is baffling.

Great. Let's go into a new season looking forward to having our two, completely perma-injured defenders back and plan a whole season around them being available, when we know they won't be.

Jürgen Klopp has explained Liverpool are aiming to have Joe Gomez, Joel Matip and Virgil van Dijk back in training during pre-season for 2021-22.

The three central defenders are each currently sidelined with long-term injuries and undergoing rehabilitation programmes at the AXA Training Centre.

During his press conference on Saturday afternoon, Klopp was asked whether potential involvement at the European Championships for Gomez and Van Dijk would be beneficial for their fitness.

“That’s not my decision. But, to be honest, the information I have in the moment [is] it will be unlikely,” the Reds manager replied.

“So, not that I don’t let them go because I don’t want to have to do that anyway, but it’s because of the extent of the injury. We all hope that they will be ready to start the pre-season with us. That’s what we hope.

“And, by the way, with Joel it’s pretty much the same, he’s just not qualified for the Euros but it’s with him the same.

“These are really serious injuries. And it’s not about now that we talk [about] which competition they can play. As far as I know – and I’m always open for positive surprises, now they all of a sudden show up in team training – but nobody told me that.

“The two of them [Gomez and Van Dijk] look in the moment better than Joel looks because he’s still in his [what] looks like skiing boots. But he is here as well. Joe is not running, Virgil is already running, but this is really a tough one.

“We are completely over the moon when they are ready to train with us for the start of pre-season. About the Euros, I didn’t think about it.

“I don’t know when you would have to be back that you are able to play the Euros. The week before? The day when the Euros start? I don’t know. That’s it. I understand maybe the need of that but we cannot make this decision and we will not.

“It’s just about when they will be fit, they will be fit. That’s how it is.”

-------------------

No Van Dijk this season.
But I'm certain that he isn't gonna miss the Euro's.

There'll be no Euros.

Probably means their careers are practically over. Least if we can patch them up by the euros, the subsequent injuries will mean their countries pay their wages for a while.

I reckon Matip will be injured by then anyway. Why we're banking on him for anything is baffling.

Great. Let's go into a new season looking forward to having our two, completely perma-injured defenders back and plan a whole season around them being available, when we know they won't be.
I'm guessing that you're talking about Matip and Gomez?
Philips has really made me hopeful about his future at the club cause he's coming on in leaps and bounds and now we have Davies, who in all honesty still is a bit of an unknown factor. I don't know if we will keep Kabak, but if he stays that makes it 6.
So next season it's basically Van Dijk + 4 or 5. I'm kinda OK with that.
There is talk about Klopp asking for another CB this summer and another wing and striker option.

So, I think there's still a lot to be hopeful about.
Oh and Rhys, that's a tough one. As is, he just isn't buil for the PL.

Transfer window hasn't opened up yet, so he can't talk about of players. One would they'll try to sell Matip.

Van Dijk is Van Dijk but he's also a player that hasn't played a game for over 6 months. Throw him into a CL semi?! Not too sure about that.
He has to get at least 4-5 games before that. So, it's very unlikely.

Nat vs Leroy Sane .... OMG... Hector vs Achillies , I think I have just shit myself...

Van Dijk is Van Dijk but he's also a player that hasn't played a game for over 6 months. Throw him into a CL semi?! Not too sure about that.
A rusty VVD is still better than all of our other center backs.

Good news for me, if they aren't going to be fit for the end of the season then I dont want them getting injured again during international duty, hopefully, we will time it right and they'll be fit for the start of next season.

I was reading recently about players who have had the same injury and the quickest return to action was Xavi who came back after 5 months (that's about how long VVD has been out for now). Robert Pires was back in action after 6 months and Ibrahimovic (at the age of 35) was back after 7 months. The average seemed to be about 7 months which pretty much takes us to the semi final date. I get your point about match fitness/sharpness but if he can get back after 6 months or so then it's possible.

I was reading recently about players who have had the same injury and the quickest return to action was Xavi who came back after 5 months (that's about how long VVD has been out for now). Robert Pires was back in action after 6 months and Ibrahimovic (at the age of 35) was back after 7 months. The average seemed to be about 7 months which pretty much takes us to the semi final date. I get your point about match fitness/sharpness but if he can get back after 6 months or so then it's possible.
I'm well of all that and I was hoping to see Van dijk this season, but LFC's physios are not known to take chances, well except with Matip because it was absolutely necessary.
We don't have much to play for atm, unless we pull some Rafa type miracle in the CL.
Also Klopp's comments doesn't fill me with hope.

VvD is the only one of the 3 I'd put money on being ready for the start of next season. People were somewhat understandably getting completely carried away by his recovery videos posted online. Hes nowhere near a return to first team based on anything we've seen so far. And Gomez injury was arguably even worse.

Interesting position for us. Play them before the end of the season and see them at risk at the Euros (but also with the chance of finding form in competitive games), or hold them back and ensure we start next season with a full roster.

Interesting position for us. Play them before the end of the season and see them at risk at the Euros (but also with the chance of finding form in competitive games), or hold them back and ensure we start next season with a full roster.

Indeed, which is why we should be holding them back. Playing in the Euros wouldnt be a good thing for any of them.

That said, I'll be amazed if the Euros can go ahead.

Indeed, which is why we should be holding them back. Playing in the Euros wouldnt be a good thing for any of them.

That said, I'll be amazed if the Euros can go ahead.
Why would it be amazing?
Sure travel between countries would be restricted but the players could be vaccinated by then. I don't know about the crowd situation though.

It's tough isn't it. Squeeze them back for the last 4 or 6 games of the season and risk a lack of full recovery to then see them get pushed through the euros, or tell them to sit everything out and be back smoothly for preseason. It's hard to imagine a scenario where it makes sense to rush them

It's tough isn't it. Squeeze them back for the last 4 or 6 games of the season and risk a lack of full recovery to then see them get pushed through the euros, or tell them to sit everything out and be back smoothly for preseason. It's hard to imagine a scenario where it makes sense to rush them
It will only be worth considering if we are still in the Champions League. If we get knocked out then we should let them go with a slower, more careful recovery.

Has anyone considered what Van Dijk wants? If he feels fit and ready, I'm absolutely certain that De Boer will give him every chance to make the squad.

Has anyone considered what Van Dijk wants? If he feels fit and ready, I'm absolutely certain that De Boer will give him every chance to make the squad.

don’t be silly, players don’t have opinions or desires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom