• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Henderson 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

I think fans are starting to notice that Henderson's been playing better lately. Clearly this upturn in form coincided with Fabinho earning a starting place, freeing Hendo from some of the defensive responsibility and it carried over even into games where Fabinho wasn't playing. So what does that mean for the future? People have been clamoring for months for Keita or Gini or Fabinho to displace Hendo, but there is a reason why he started most of the games this season when he was fit. Maybe it's time to start acknowledging that he plays because he deserves to be playing.

I often hear fans say they don't know what Hendo actually does on the pitch. Here would be my answer: he is better than any other LFC midfielder at covering space, preventing opposition attacks and being in the right place at the right time. Hendo at the moment is the only midfielder we have who can dash forward to put pressure on the attacker receiving the ball deep inside their half, then have the speed and stamina to get back and cover the space in front of the CBs or help on the wing – and do this repeatedly for 90 minutes. Take away this quality and our game in the defensive phase would become much more pedestrian, fragmented and easier to pick apart. Hendo's preference for tackling while standing up means that his defensive efforts are much less often noticed and appreciated by fans – even though tackling without going to ground is exactly what you should be doing 95% of the time in modern game, for many reasons. He might not win every duel or tackle (even though his tackles won per 90 is the highest of all LFC midfielders), but he is always there, an extra body in every phase of play.

There is one other thing I appreciate about Henderson as someone who grew up watching continental football, particularly Serie A – he is a rare English midfielder who managed to remodel his game very much in the continental fashion. If you watch the Youtube video above, you will find more similarities than differences with some acknowledged European deep-lying playmakers like Jorginho, Joao Moutinho or Max Meyer – but Hendo is a far better defender than any of them. Maybe in his desire to learn this way of playing as a midfield controller he sometimes took things too far and kept it far too safe – my guess it was a natural consequence of his dual role as a playmaker and the midfield bulldog, where he knew every misplaced pass would result in a mess he himself would mostly have to clean up. Now, with the towering Fabinho alongside him, we are seeing a more aggressive version of Henderson, finally seeming to find a right blend of passion and patience. If he keeps this up, the "replace Hendo" brigade will have to wait for quite a while.

Edit: By the way, I just noticed this rewatching this video – Hendo actually learned how to turn with the ball!

Last edited:
50533093-1224231374393403-7272487845359517696-n.jpg

I genuinely do not see why a sizeable proportion of our "supporters" would quite willingly slag of Hendo...

Is he Gerrard? Nowhere near...

Is he shite? Also nowhere near...

Does he deserve repeatedly being slagged off by "supporters" ?? Nope.

He is a consistent midfielder and there is good drive about him and he is a good leader also... not spectacular but he is technically pretty good and he is tough lad who gives 100% every fucking time.

Some people should check out what the word "supporter" actually means.

I have been on his case alot. I don't think he contributes much to the attack and his defensive work is mediocre. But he has been playing better since Fab started regularly, more direct and starting more progressive plays.

He was good against Palace, so long may it continue.

I genuinely do not see why a sizeable proportion of our "supporters" would quite willingly slag of Hendo...

Is he Gerrard? Nowhere near...

Is he shite? Also nowhere near...

Does he deserve repeatedly being slagged off by "supporters" ?? Nope.

He is a consistent midfielder and there is good drive about him and he is a good leader also... not spectacular but he is technically pretty good and he is tough lad who gives 100% every fucking time.

Some people should check out what the word "supporter" actually means.
Oh don't be so precious. Every supporter has his favourites and those he dislikes for whatever reason. Hendo has been shite pretty often as our most defensive midfielder so it was no wonder he irked many, the fact he is now proving that the double pivot and Fabinho suits both him and our team doesn't negate what went before, it just means that whilst he wasn't suited to the previous position (which he had to remodel himself to play) this current formation let's him revert to a style of play more suited to his skill-set. Win-Win.

I often hear fans say don't know what Hendo actually does on the pitch. Here would be my answer: he is better than any other LFC midfielder at covering space, preventing opposition attacks and being in the right place at the right time.

Shieeeeeeeeeeeeeet....
You make him sound like Kante and he's nowhere near as good as him.
I don't know where to start really? You describe him as some sort of defensive power house and at the same time you say that Fabinho has taken the defensive responsibilities from him? Wtf?
Even Wijnaldum and Milner are arguably better than him defensively.

But it would be silly of me to not say that he has improved since moving to his natural position which is CM. Hopefully we'll see goals and assists from him this season of which he has zero so far.

Here's a clip of Hendo recycling the ball:

Last edited:
He was good against Palace. I thought he'd be sixth choice for three places behind Milner, Keita, Gini, Fab and Shaq, but Milner is currently fullback, Keita is currently shit, Gini is currently crocked, and Shaq is being used as an impact sub - so I hope he keeps up this improvement for a while.

I thought he was superb against Palace - his passes had more intent (often into space rather than to feet) and it felt like he didn't lose a 50:50 and threw himself into more than usual. A proper captain's performance. Would love to see him try the odd 30 yarder a la his Chelsea goal a couple of seasons ago.

Modo - take your medicine & admit he was good on Saturday, and looks a better player when alongside Fabinho. You may be right in the long run (I don't think so), but you will be a better man for admitting the interludes of goodness

This is interesting - yet again - from rurik.

Henderson has always been a divisive footballer, and not just among our own fanbase. The reasons are many and varied, and I've always been a bit conflicted, largely because even at his very best, he's probably that "7/10 player".

I used to call him "ReadySalted" because that was just him: safe, bit boring, lacking in anything too interesting or exciting. But even then, I acknowledged that every team needs that type of player, who might be less exciting or inspirational, but just gets lots of the boring, dirty work done.

He was certainly very important to Rodgers in that Nearly Season, where he was the tireless "Legs" of the midfield, and even now, that is still his greatest asset: the ability to eat up the pitch, narrow gaps, reduce space; harry and intercept and turn over possession.

Moving him back and making him more anchored at the base of the midfield was, and is, still contentious, given that his engine and mobility is still by far his greatest asset, but he hasn't been stuck in a defensive role in too many games this season, as Fabinho and Wijnaldum can very well help out there, so he has been more influential. I think a defensively-oriented roving role is still playing to most of his strengths, but seeing a bit more adventure and positivity in his passing, as evidenced by the stats rurik has shared, is always great to see.

There's certainly issues with the midfield, and how the usual axis of Fabinho/ Henderson/ Milner/ Wijnaldum doesn't offer much creativity, spark or attacking threat, but if we're talking about Henderson in isolation, then there's no denying that some of his recent displays have been very good, and if he plays like he did against Palace last weekend consistently, he is easily worth his place in the side.

I thought he was superb against Palace - his passes had more intent (often into space rather than to feet) and it felt like he didn't lose a 50:50 and threw himself into more than usual. A proper captain's performance. Would love to see him try the odd 30 yarder a la his Chelsea goal a couple of seasons ago.
God forbid. Whenever I see him lining up a shot it's No ! No ! No ! Pass it you fuck !

99/100 of his shots end up in Row Z. If those same 100 shots were instead passed wide or even dinked into the box we'd likely get a much better return.

Modo - take your medicine & admit he was good on Saturday, and looks a better player when alongside Fabinho. You may be right in the long run (I don't think so), but you will be a better man for admitting the interludes of goodness
There's nothing to admit, he was good against Palace. I'm glad he isn't playing DM any more.

Where was he against City?

Really? What about every other game we're unbeaten in? It doesn't always work out, but by and large this season we've been excellent defensively and he's played as the anchor man a fair bit.

Against Palace we had Fabinho as the holding midfielder and the added bonus of Henderson helping out but in a more natural central midfield role. Both performed well, yet we conceded three goals, so your narrative that a natural defensive midfielder is better for the team is once again debatable, because with our most "solid" and naturally defensive pairing in the middle, protecting the backline, we shipped goals, when both inexplicably also played well. You'd laud Lucas after a good game and then he'd play at home against the dregs of the league and we'd let in a few goals, so sometimes the dynamic of a defensive minded midfield puts us on the back foot, rather than the predicted, more controlled system.

He's done well, he can be frustrating with his safe passing, particularly when we know he can spread the play well and he's previously created and scored goals, but by and large he does a job and provides a steadily consistent and reliable role in the midfield. There's no perfect fix, in some games you're expected to dominate, you unpredictably leak goals in. Some games that are difficult on paper prove to be just that and you lose, it's not really unheard of for a title challenger to play one of their rivals and get beat. City are the best team in the league, or certainly the best squad in the league, so it's no great shame to lose by a goal, just like no one will give a fuck that we only beat Palace by a goal and also ridiculously conceded three.

Last edited:
Shieeeeeeeeeeeeeet....
You make him sound like Kante and he's nowhere near as good as him.
I don't know where to start really? You describe him as some sort of defensive power house and at the same time you say that Fabinho has taken the defensive responsibilities from him? Wtf?
Even Wijnaldum and Milner are arguably better than him defensively.

I think Fabinho is a far better tackler than Hendo (or anyone else in the team apart from the CBs, really), but he is not as mobile. So yes, Fabinho has taken some defensive responsibilities from Hendo by staying closer to his position in DM, which allowed Hendo to roam around more and take more chances, in his passing and overall play. Remember him appearing on the right wing to help out Salah and dribbling past an opponent almost to the byline? He would not have the freedom to do that 2 months ago.

As for Gini and Milner being better defenders, I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Gini is certainly better at protecting the ball, but there is no LFC midfielder with the combination of mobility, stamina and positional awareness that Hendo has.

There's certainly issues with the midfield, and how the usual axis of Fabinho/ Henderson/ Milner/ Wijnaldum doesn't offer much creativity, spark or attacking threat, but if we're talking about Henderson in isolation, then there's no denying that some of his recent displays have been very good, and if he plays like he did against Palace last weekend consistently, he is easily worth his place in the side.

Honestly, the amount of creativity and forward passing Fabinho and Hendo offered against Palace was very good, I don't know how it can be much better. Maybe it was easier because of the pattern of this particular game, with Palace defending very narrow and allowing both Milner and Robertson to play high up the pitch pretty much as wingers, so both Hendo and Fabs always had that diagonal pass to the wing as an option. But they did find this pass time and time again (I don't recall either of them missing even once) and also played into forwards' feet quite often. I rewatched the game and I think the first half was some of the most sustained pressure we've put a team under for some time – other than Keita being a bit lost in the LW position it was very, very impressive.

I like Henderson but the fact that he starts so many games is one of the two or three things that make me wonder if we’re as good as we think we are.

And then looking at the league table makes you realise that we are ...

Maybe you're right but we haven't won anything in a long time. I think at some point we will sign an Alisson/Van Dijk type of behemoth for the midfield - just fork out loads for an absolutely 9/10 week in week out midfielder. And that will be to replace Henderson.

Maybe you're right but we haven't won anything in a long time. I think at some point we will sign an Alisson/Van Dijk type of behemoth for the midfield - just fork out loads for an absolutely 9/10 week in week out midfielder. And that will be to replace Henderson.

Agreed - that is surely our next move. Although I think there is a lot of promise that Fabinho will become a starter every week and really grow into the role. There is still plenty of time for Keita to earn a role in there too, but I agree that CM is the next target for dropping a huge sum.

Agreed - that is surely our next move. Although I think there is a lot of promise that Fabinho will become a starter every week and really grow into the role. There is still plenty of time for Keita to earn a role in there too, but I agree that CM is the next target for dropping a huge sum.
Don't see it happening. Keita is going to be given more time. We already have Wijnaldum and Henderson. Grujic is coming back from loan. We might lose Milner to Leeds in the summer but I think our priorities are left back, winger and striker/forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom