• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How good is this team?

I wouldn’t get carried away with the spreadsheet boys. Their analysis suggested Aspas was a good player for example.

Our signings improved significantly after Klopp had a say too.

The spreadsheet boys have all their power now and I don’t know how much fun this experiment will be, but let’s see
Actually Aspas was a good player - both before joining us and after (in Spain) it's the middle bit that weirdly fell apart (tactics, league who knows).

It all went to shit from Thiago. Who have we bought since then that’s actually any good and done it for more than 3 months? Mac Allister?
Nah that was unlucky, the actual (free) signing was good and he was great initially. Injuries fucked us (and him).

I don’t know how it’s possible, but it feels we’ve both overachieved and underachieved this season. Anyone else think this?
A matter of perception. Beginning of the season and now at the end. A bit like Klopp's tenure.

Yet you cant stop coming back can you ? It’s like a dopamine addiction this place. Ive tried to log off a million times but then I see a post like this I have to comment. I hate myself for it sometimes.

I’ve said it before. This year and next 6CM will see everyone turning into a loon.

Mods please delete my account. Pleaseeeee.

Nah that was unlucky, the actual (free) signing was good and he was great initially. Injuries fucked us (and him).
We signed him for £27 million and gave him £200/k a week for someone who was 6ish years older than the normal demographic we’d be looking at. All round it was a luxury we didn’t need. We needed to be looking at replacing Milner and Hendo.

Nah. It's just that a few of our rivals have continued to underachieve. If you want to say that they're genuinely shit and we finished about where we deserved, I'm ok with that.

But Chelsea and United both continuing to struggle isn't something I would have banked on I August, although long may it continue.
I’d like to think we could see we were better than Chelsea and scum. They had awful transfer strategies.

We were always going to be top 3 (I didn’t see Villa making top 4!). We also had the benefit of being in the europa league which meant we could rotate more compared to Arsenal and City.

The opportunity was there. We don’t take it.

We signed him for £27 million and gave him £200/k a week for someone who was 6ish years older than the normal demographic we’d be looking at. All round it was a luxury we didn’t need. We needed to be looking at replacing Milner and Hendo.
Ah OK initial fee £20m. But still worth it for a world class player - we saw in quite a few matches how brilliant he could be. Unfortunately his best mate was Keita who taught him some new tricks.

I don’t know how it’s possible, but it feels we’ve both overachieved and underachieved this season. Anyone else think this?

Yep - the progress feels muddled, which is why this thread exists. We started better than anyone thought possible, we've had bad injuries with kids stepping up to first-team players and then imploded when the previously good players returned. The fact we look shit for 75 minutes and turn it on in the last 15 minutes so regularly makes it even more difficult to sum up this squad. I'd say finishing third to two very good and more established squads feels about right, but the journey to get here is all over the place.

Ah OK initial fee £20m. But still worth it for a world class player - we saw in quite a few matches how brilliant he could be. Unfortunately his best mate was Keita who taught him some new tricks.
Both were well versed in those tricks.

I know right… we won fuck all with them!!!!
In spite of them.

Playing about 10% of our games.

It should be obvious who were the winners and who were the passengers just tagging along, have a look at the players who really pushed us to success, you'll see the same names pop up when we beat Bayern, Barca, Spurs, City, Roma and the rest.

Yet you cant stop coming back can you ? It’s like a dopamine addiction this place. Ive tried to log off a million times but then I see a post like this I have to comment. I hate myself for it sometimes.

I’ve said it before. This year and next 6CM will see everyone turning into a loon.

Mods please delete my account. Pleaseeeee.
I come back just in case something interesting is posted, but when the forum is in this mood, I tend to scroll through every thread barely reading them

You don't think the club needed to learn that they needed to replace the manager with enough time to react? You think klopp would be cool with renewing contracts of players knowing he was equivocating?

I don't. Of course that's a good point. But weigh that up against the cost of destabilizing a major title tilt. Which would you pick?

Yep - the progress feels muddled, which is why this thread exists. We started better than anyone thought possible, we've had bad injuries with kids stepping up to first-team players and then imploded when the previously good players returned. The fact we look shit for 75 minutes and turn it on in the last 15 minutes so regularly makes it even more difficult to sum up this squad. I'd say finishing third to two very good and more established squads feels about right, but the journey to get here is all over the place.
We really have had a mixed season. I remember the first time we went on top of table, it was games that were didn't deserve to win that we bagged 3 points pushed us up. We could get the points but the game wasn't there, and these conversations of not playing well have been there throughout despite us getting the points. It feels a loss now because in the middle of this chaos we started believing. Suddenly quadruple was in our sights but the weakness in the team was still there.
Of course Klopp making the announcement didn't help but that's not the real reason because we kept on winning after that. The weakness was bound to come out and did so against big clubs. ManC, ManU, Arsenal etc.
Atalanta played us man to man football and the other managers saw what they couldn't see all along.

I mean, we won the League Cup, Q/F of Europa League, Q/F of FA Cup and only dropped out of the title race with 5-6 games to go.

That’s pretty fucking good for a “transition” season.

Despite the change in management l, if the appointment is good and knows how to make good use of the talent we have in a similar system, then there’s no reason to suspect we can’t be in the mix next season.

A total fuck up would be appointing a manager that wanted to change our entire system and way of playing and bring in loads of new players - that’s how you fuck things up.

What us surprising is the amount of people that seem to want to actively fuck us up - as if their life wouldn’t be worth living unless they had something to bitch about.

Yeah really well said. What I like about SLOT on paper is that he does work with what we have. I have a good feeling about this appointment. A managerial name means nothing if they're totally changing the system.

And yes, it's all about expectations. We are all sky high now, so we are fecking disappointed. BUT, if take the August expectations, we'd think this was a good season, considering the midfield REBOOT

Deffo defensive issues. But isn't there always some plumbing to fix?

If we had finished off the United with the Gazillion chances we had. Palace too - Jones for one, and all those other chances. And Diaz and his SITTER against Citeh, we would be in a MUCH
Plumbing? I assume you mean it's minor and necessary, as opposed to what plumbing is, which is simple, but extremely costly if unaddressed for a long time. By the second definition I'm in agreement. The way we concede goals and can't start a game in any measure of control is the norm this season and just doesn't reflect a team capable of winning a title.
I don't. Of course that's a good point. But weigh that up against the cost of destabilizing a major title tilt. Which would you pick?

There are quite a few significant players on a renewal this year. If we lied to them and then they were here on a new contract, entirely unmotivated and disillusioned then that's a pretty nice formula for a poisoned chalice. It's also just plainly unethical.

Maybe there is something into this thing about Klopp and Edwards rift? We turned shit like a flick of switch soon as Edwards return was agreed or is it just since Momo came back?

Maybe there is something into this thing about Klopp and Edwards rift? We turned shit like a flick of switch soon as Edwards return was agreed or is it just since Momo came back?
The wheels were off by the time I came back.

Plumbing? I assume you mean it's minor and necessary, as opposed to what plumbing is, which is simple, but extremely costly if unaddressed for a long time. By the second definition I'm in agreement. The way we concede goals and can't start a game in any measure of control is the norm this season and just doesn't reflect a team capable of winning a title.

There are quite a few significant players on a renewal this year. If we lied to them and then they were here on a new contract, entirely unmotivated and disillusioned then that's a pretty nice formula for a poisoned chalice. It's also just plainly unethical.

I'm not sure. I think my obligation would be to the club and the fans and winning the league. BUT, it's a tough one he ultimately helped planning for Arne. I just think it didn't help the title tilt. And I think players careers would have been just fine with a PL title under their belt.

I'm not sure. I think my obligation would be to the club and the fans and winning the league. BUT, yes I think ultimately he made the right decision in planning for Arne. I just think it didn't help the title tilt.
I think it helped and it hurt but it was never ever going to happen barring some luck with injuries and worse luck for other teams.

Whatever you can say about klopp, he isn't lucky. He's had to fight for everything.

Klopp is probably the unluckiest great manager in history.
I would like history to remember him as one of our greatest Managers who won us three (3) titles, but twice the trophies never reached our cabinet, mugged by a cheating club.

If the 115 charges stick, the only justice the FA could do is strip them the titles and hand to #2 in those years.

Back
Top Bottom