• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll How many points will be needed to win the league

Prefix for Poll Threads

Eventual tally of points for the eventual winner

• 79-83

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 84-87

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • 88-89

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • 90-92

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • 93+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebell

Well-Known
City got 89 points last season consisting of 28 wins, 5 losses, 5 draws
We have 13 wins 6 draws and 1 win from 20 games.
from the remaining 18, can we get another 15 wins?
28 wins, 2 losses 8 draws = 92 points

City got 89 points last season consisting of 28 wins, 5 losses, 5 draws
We have 13 wins 6 draws and 1 win from 20 games.
from the remaining 18, can we get another 15 wins?
28 wins, 2 losses 8 draws = 92 points
No, max wins will be 12 for us, the rest will be draws, and potentially on worse side 3 losses

We have 9 home games left, including all of the bottom three.
  • Chelsea
  • Burnley
  • Luton
  • City
  • Brighton
  • Sheffield United
  • Palace
  • Spurs
  • Wolves

Realistically we need 7-8 wins out of these if our away form will be hit and miss. If one of these wins is the game against City, then I think its properly game on. We need Anfield to be our fortress.

I think our second half of the season points needs to at least equal our first half. First half was 42 points, I think we need to be getting over 88/89 points.

6 draws at the half way stage is a lot. On a positive side they are games we avoided defeat, but many games in there that we should have won and had already a borderline unassailable lead. We have plenty of time to learn that lesson.

City can get a maximum of 97 points from here, they won't but they could. Allowing for a defeat a couple of draws they probably drop 9 or 10 points of the 57 remaining and finish around 88 points. Genuinely don't see them getting to 90 points.

I think 89 wins it for us, maybe less if we can turn them over at Anfield. 14 Wins 3 Draws and 1 Defeat from the last 18 gets us over the line I reckon. We probably need 8 wins from 9 home games to do it.

It all depends on City and whether they can turn it up second half of the season.

I have never and will never count City out. Not as long as Guardiola is there.
I honestly think the decider will be the home game against them.
A win and the league is ours.

We have to match them.

We have to match them.
We are more susceptible to draws and them to losses but they are likely to win more games.
If the points awarded were 2 points for a draw and 4 points for a win we would have won more titles on the occasion we came 2nd. I still see that model is worth considering, that there should be some more of a gulf between a draw and a loss

Last edited:
We are more susceptible to draws and them to losses but they are likely to win more games.
If the points awarded were 2 points for a draw and 4 points for a win we would have won more titles on the occasion we came 2nd. I still that model is worth considering, that there should be some more of a gulf between a draw and a loss
That's why they changed it. I still remember a time when a win was worth 2 points.
Getting a point for a draw didn't feel that bad back then.

That's why they changed it. I still remember a time when a win was worth 2 points.
Getting a point for a draw didn't feel that bad back then.
You still have a 2 point difference between a win and a draw. 4 points between win and a loss

We have to match them.

We play them in the middle of this run for City:

Chelsea (H)
Bournemouth (A)
United (H)
CL second leg
Liverpool (A)
Brighton (A)
Arsenal (H)
Villa (H)

Let's hope they've been given a tough test in the games up until ours, and that we take the three points and leave them rattled going into three tough fixtures afterwards.

Chelsea (H)
Bournemouth (A)
United (H)
CL second leg
Liverpool (A)
Brighton (A)
Arsenal (H)
Villa (H)

Let's hope they've been given a tough test in the games up until ours, and that we take the three points and leave them rattled going into three tough fixtures afterwards.

Let's hope that Chelsea and Arsenal go there and close shop and Brighton and B'mouth manage to get something.

I'd guess something between 83-86 will take the league title. Nobody is outrightly as strong as last season and the top five will finish more compressed. I'm cautious of a City's endless winning streak in the second half of the year, but it's not inevitable. After a treble last year, and playing in the World Club Cup (or whatever it's called), I'd still expect some inconsistency and fatigue. It's going to be a great watch for any neutral as well as ourselves. The majority would have settled for the top four this year, so anything is a bonus.

I'd guess something between 83-86 will take the league title. Nobody is outrightly as strong as last season and the top five will finish more compressed. I'm cautious of a City's endless winning streak in the second half of the year, but it's not inevitable. After a treble last year, and playing in the World Club Cup (or whatever it's called), I'd still expect some inconsistency and fatigue. It's going to be a great watch for any neutral as well as ourselves. The majority would have settled for the top four this year, so anything is a bonus.
City will take the cheque book out, and address their flaws.

Chelsea (H)
Bournemouth (A)
United (H)
CL second leg
Liverpool (A)
Brighton (A)
Arsenal (H)
Villa (H)

They play Copenhagen in the Champions League so the tie will probably be over before the second leg unfortunately.

Fine, make it 5 for a win

You're still making draws more valuable than they are now by doing that. A win is worth 2.5x a draw in your world, and it's 3x now. The idea, which was a good one, was to lessen the importance of draws and losses. If anything should consider giving more points for wins or bonuses for more goals or something like that, rather than increasing the importance of draws.

Duh!

2 for a draw and 4 for a win is effectively the same as 1 for a draw and 2 for a win, a system they got rid of years ago as it encouraged playing for the draw
The right answer is 6 for a win, 2 for a draw and zero for a defeat.

No as a draw is worth 2 more than a loss.

It's the same, you're just doubling everyone's points the currently get. Everyone would have precisely twice as much as they have now, the gaps would be twice as much, but the league table would look exactly the same, it'd make no difference other than that.

If the points awarded were 2 points for a draw and 4 points for a win we would have won more titles on the occasion we came 2nd. I still see that model is worth considering, that there should be some more of a gulf between a draw and a loss
Hang on, we have 13 wins to City's 12 (played one game less). 1 defeat (robbed by VAR at Spurs) to City's 4 defeats. So as it stands it's clear that for wins there's nothing in it however we tend to draw games City lose. Long may it continue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom