• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll Hypothetical: King Kenny steps down at the end of the season...

Prefix for Poll Threads

Would you be happy with Brendan Rogers as the next manager of LFC

• Yes

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • No

Votes: 31 73.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wanted Mourinho and I think there is a little chance he might leave Real at the end of the season, especially if they win La Liga and/or the CL.
If he stays there, then yes Deschamps is a good choice

So rather than Rodgers we should get Martinez

Arf. No, that would risk becoming a repeat of the Hodgson debacle.

If the situation arises, and if Mancini survives at Citeh (which IMO he might well not if they don't win the league), like LeChacal I'd be up for testing the water with Mourinho. I know he's said in the past that he won't manage Liverpool, and I don't care. That was then and this is now.

First question by Mourinho when he's being interviewed by the board:

- How much can I spend on players?
(reply) - Whatever you can get from the current squad + £20 Million.

- Bye.

I voted yes.

Our 2 greatest managers were risky appointment; Shankly had had a hit & miss managerial career with lower level teams before taking charge of us and Sir Bob was an unheard of (outside of Liverpool) backroom boy with no managerial expertise.

Appointing Rodgers (or Lambert of Norwich) would obviously involve risk but they've both; had 2 or 3 good seasons, have a good eye for a bargain, play attractive football and know the English game inside out. IMO they would be no bigger risk than taking an untried foreigner.

I didn't want Hodgson or Dalglish as manager and much as I love Rafa I don't want him back either. I'd be prepared to take Mourinho even with the nonsense that follows him but failing that I want Rodgers or Lambert.

For those who are slagging Owen Coyle.........managers are like players and can have bad seasons sometimes. I still think Coyle is a good manager woth potential to manage a bigger club but I think he's made some poor signings this season. I have said all season he'll keep Bolton up and I reckon next season he could prove to be one of the best young managers around.

Should that also apply to Kenny though........?
Good point.

I suppose there is a case for Kenny to be given more time but my gut instinct is Kenny won't turn it around and Coyle will turn it around at Bolton. Coyle also lost Lee and Holden to season long injuries and they were Bolton's two best midfielder last season. His mistakes have included; £4m for N'Gog, continuing to play Zat Knight as a 1st choice CB, not picking Mark Davies as a regular starter until recently, and picking Reo-Coker instead of Pratley (although he's beginning to use Pratley more often now). Dalglish's mistakes are more damning; signing £100m worth of talent without seeming to have clue how to utilise this talent to it's (their) optimum ability, mis-managing the Suarez situation, not realising Carragher was past-it until injury forced his hand and tactical naievity in team selections and substitutions.

I love Kenny and it hurts to want him out but ideally Kenny moves up stairs and we get a bright young manager in like Lambert or Rodgers.

Would Kenny upstairs not prove a disruptive influence for whoever comes in?
I wouldn't imagine so, it's not like he has been manager for many years and the first team zeitgeist is not intrinsically linked to him. Most of the 1st team squad have seen 3 mangers in the last 2 years and so are used to the uncertainty (unfortunately) so Dalglish moving (back) upstairs and a new hungry, young manager could finally offer us some stability. I realise that I'm advocating destabilising things, by changing the manager again, in an attempt to become a more stable club but we've made 2 careless managerial appointments in recent times and this is the price we have to pay.

I wouldn't imagine so, it's not like he has been manager for many years and the first team zeitgeist is not intrinsically linked to him. Most of the 1st team squad have seen 3 mangers in the last 2 years and so are used to the uncertainty (unfortunately) so Dalglish moving (back) upstairs and a new hungry, young manager could finally offer us some stability. I realise that I'm advocating destabilising things, by changing the manager again, in an attempt to become a more stable club but we've made 2 careless managerial appointments in recent times and this is the price we have to pay.
Yeah, suppose you're right.

And as a young manager, I couldn't thing of many better/more inspirational to have guidance from.

That's just my guess mate along with I think Kenny may walk anyway at the end of the year

Do you know this? It would be a shame to lose him completely whether he goes now or in 10 years time.

If he stays for a few years and has a reasonable level of success then I would imagine he might well do something within the club, but if he is sacked as manager I can't see him wanting to stay on and do anything else.

That's just my guess mate along with I think Kenny may walk anyway at the end of the year
If he stays for a few years and has a reasonable level of success then I would imagine he might well do something within the club, but if he is sacked as manager I can't see him wanting to stay on and do anything else.

I'd prefer to see him move back to the youth academy if he did leave, but I can understand why he'd want a clean break.

It's only worth replacing Kenny with someone who can do an equal or better job. I have no idea whether Rogers is the answer but we sure as hell can't take the risk. Out of the managers available, and crucially out those we have to look at who would be prepared to take on the job, you need look no further than Rafa.

2 league titles in Spain (not managing Madrid or Barca)
1 CL trophy & one CL losing finalist
1 FA win.

If his name wasn't Rafa Benitez you'd be queuing up for him.

Well not really, because you'd also be looking at someone who hasn't won anything in years, was sacked from his last two jobs and has a track record of being a complete moaning pain in the arse in the media.

The fact that he was at Liverpool means that that last part was not seen as so much of a negative, but if he had been at another club you'd think he was a bit of a nob probably.

It's only worth replacing Kenny with someone who can do an equal or better job. I have no idea whether Rogers is the answer but we sure as hell can't take the risk. Out of the managers available, and crucially out those we have to look at who would be prepared to take on the job, you need look no further than Rafa.

1 FA win.

Add to it infighting with every boardroom, a sacking at Inter, and a 7th place finish like where we are now.

His last trophy was in 2006.

First question by Mourinho when he's being interviewed by the board:

- How much can I spend on players?
(reply) - Whatever you can get from the current squad + £20 Million.

- Bye.

It's true that money would have to be made available and that the amount you describe probably wouldn't be enough, but I doubt they'd approach him (or anyone else in that bracket) unless they had already made up their mind to put significant investment in. There seems to be an assumption behind your post that FSG are definitely not going to do that. It's not an assumption I share, because there would be one heck of a lot riding on this appointment. They might not originally have planned such expenditure, but all plans have to be reviewed in the light of actual events.

It's true that money would have to be made available and that the amount you describe probably wouldn't be enough, but I doubt they'd approach him (or anyone else in that bracket) unless they had already made up their mind to put significant investment in. There seems to be an assumption behind your post that FSG are definitely not going to do that. It's not an assumption I share, because there would be one heck of a lot riding on this appointment. They might not originally have planned such expenditure, but all plans have to be reviewed in the light of actual events.

Agree completely.

For starters we don't know what the owners are willing and able to spend on the squad.

To be fair, I can see where an assumption might come from. The previous owners seemed, towards the end, intent on not investing any more money, and I imagine the appointment of Hodgson reflected this. The impression that was given (whether it was correct or not, who knows?) was that, even if one of the best managers like Mourinho had been banging on the door when Benitez was fired, they still wouldn't have parted with the cash.

With the current owners they might not think like that at. Even, as you say, if they are currently only planning to spend x amount, they might see that if someone with such an excellent track record shows up and says 'you give me three times that amount and I will give you the title', then it would be a risk worth taking

1 FA win.

I wouldn't because I think it's stupid to judge manager by the trophies he won.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom