• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

I need your old LFC kits for a good cause!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morse

Very Active
Honorary Member
Hello all,

I am a member of a Charity called the Chernobyl Childrens' Project.

Many of you will remember the Chernobyl disaster 23 years ago. The radiation cloud badly affected the country of Belarus. Today, the country is still heavily polluted. The charity offers kids in the Gomel area of Belarus the chance to take a holiday away from the radiation. A month in the UK, eating and drinking healthy food, will possibly extend their lives by 3 or 4 years. Myself and the wife have had kids stay at our home for the last couple of years and we have enjoyed helping make their time over here enjoyable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster

http://www.chernobyl-children.org.uk/

The co-ordinator in Leeds told me that 4 or 5 times a year, a convoy of trucks takes supplies and clothing over to the affected areas. He said that the kids love football and especially the Premiership. Unfortunately, a lot wear Manchester United shirts. Apparently they are the most high profile club and the only team all the children know. I was saddened by this since they have been through enough suffering in their lives without having to wear shite. ??? I told him that Liverpool supporters were the most generous fans in the world and that I would try to raise a load of LFC clothing so that we could load a truck and go later this year. To see the smiles on the kids' faces when they see the Liverpool shirts would be a sight to see. :D

Would anyone help me by letting me have their old gear? Small sizes ideally but anything you have no more need for. I would be very grateful. A chance to do good would be reason enough, but also a chance to spread the word for our club.

If anyone can help, please email me at:

Stu (dot) morse (at) gmail (dot) com.

Thanks,

YNWA.

Some facts from a recent TV documentary:

The Accident:

The explosion of the reactor at Chernobyl released 100 times more radiation than the atom bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

190 tons of radioactive uranium and graphite were released into the air

400,000 people were evacuated

2,000 villages were demolished

600,000 " liquidators" were used to clean up - 13,000 have since died

99% of Belarus is contaminated

About 5.5 million people - including more than a million children - continue to live in contaminated zones.

Only 3% of the radioactive material present was thrown out in 1986 - the next Chernobyl will be Chernobyl itself

Health Impact:

Thyroid cancer in children has increased dramatically since the disaster, particularly in the Gomel region of Belarus. The World Health Organization predicts that, in this region alone, 50,000 children will develop the disease during their lifetime. Thyroid cancer in Gomel is 10,000 greater since the accident

Gomel is 50 miles from Chernobyl and contaminated with caesium levels 40 times greater than the recognised danger limits

Caesium-137 is water-soluble and extremely toxic in minute amounts. it remains present for many years as its radiological half-life is 30.07 years.
It can cause cancer 10, 20 or 30 years from the time of ingestion, inhalation or absorption provided sufficient material enters the body. It remains in the body in muscles as the body thinks it is potassium. Ceasium affects the heart, liver, kidneys and lungs

Strontium-90 exhibits biochemical behavior similar to calcium and after entering the organism, most often by ingestion with contaminated food or water is deposited mainly in bones and bone marrow. Its presence in bones can cause bone cancer, cancer of nearby tissues, and leukemia

Approx 20 % of babies born in Belarus are healthy

Approx 7,000 children in Belarus are waiting for cardiac surgery for the condition called " Chernobyl Heart" They will die without the operation.
There are less than 300 operations each year. Each gortex pad used to patch the holes in the heart cost $300.

Other conditions suffered by the children of Belarus are tumors, microcephaly, hydrocephalus, cerebral palsy, and other physical and mental problems

Environment and Food:

21% of prime Belarusian farmland remains dangerously contaminated from the decaying components of plutonium. The food and water supply is continuously contaminated by rainfall and by the movement of radioactive dust.

Some of the radioactivity, predominantly radiocaesium-137 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiocaesium-137> , was deposited on certain upland areas of the UK, where sheep-farming is the primary land-use. Due to the particular chemical and physical properties of the peaty soil types present in these upland areas, the radiocaesium is still able to pass easily from soil to grass and hence accumulate in sheep. Under power provided under the Food and Environment Protection Act <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Food_and_Environment_Protection_A
ct&action=edit&redlink=1> 1985 (FEPA), Emergency Orders have been used since 1986 to impose restrictions on the movement and sale of sheep exceeding the limit in certain parts of Cumbria <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumbria> , North Wales <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Wales> , Scotland and Northern Ireland <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland> . Today this covers 369 farms, and around 200,000 sheep .

The economic damages to Belarus after the accident over 30 years (1986 -
2015) will be $235 billion

Well I suppose the wardrobe could do with a cleaning out.

If I come up with anything I'll mail you Morse.

Ive got fuck loads. Morse. I can send you a bunch Liverpool, england, roma, italy, etc plus a bunch of training tops. Also some boots and trainers. Ill send you the lot. Just give me your address.

Lets try and do something here lads. Good work Morse.

Other than the stuff the kids are still wearing I only have adult sizes, but I'm very happy to send stuff.

Wish I owned some gear, alas it's been years since I owned a kit. It's a great idea though.

Hope this works out.

I've played snooker with 2 chernobyl orphans before.

They both looked the spit or Skrtel.

[quote author=Bradleme link=topic=35405.msg930459#msg930459 date=1250972777]
Wish I owned some gear, alas it's been years since I owned a kit. It's a great idea though.

Hope this works out.
[/quote]

Same here. It's a great thing you're doing, mate.

I have received a few shirts today. Thanks to those who so generously donated. If anyone else can help it will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Stu.

Keniget, I got your post mate...thanks.

Onions, I live in Yorkshire mate.

I have collected some great stuff. I'd like to thank all that have sent shirts to me for the kids. All those who still want to donate, please PM me and I'll let you have my address.

Let's show the project that Liverpool fans are the most generous, kind hearted in the world!

Thanks again.

Stuart.

[quote author=doctor_mac link=topic=35405.msg956643#msg956643 date=1254591567]
I'd forgotten about this- I'll definitely send you some stuff this week.
[/quote]^

Hi,

People are still interested in sending their LFC shirts to me.
That is brilliant and shows how generous REDS fans are.

I'd like to thank everyone who has already sent. I have a massive box which I am steadily filling before I send on the convoy.

Please send me a private message if you want to donate, I shall send my details in reply.

Thanks again.

Stu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom