• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is Benteke good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may as well sign Huth and stick him up front.

The way Benteke strolls around the box waiting for the perfect cross without actually attacking it is making me lose my hair.

We may as well sign Huth and stick him up front.

The way Benteke strolls around the box waiting for the perfect cross without actually attacking it is making me lose my hair.

I'm tired of watching him jog casually behind a defender, with another 2 defenders between him and the ball, then throw his arms up in frustration when the cross fails to reach him. What is he expecting? Pinpoint perfect crosses past 3 defenders to his head everytime? If so you are right Huth can do the job and then some.

Up till now I don't think anybody knows remotely the kind of service he wants. He doesn't get to the far post, he doesn't get to the near post, he doesn't get round his defender, he doesn't run behind his defender, he doesn't like the ball to his feet, hell he doesn't even bite his defender. Basically he does nothing except sticking behind his defender trying his best to look enthusiatic.

I'm tired of watching him jog casually behind a defender, with another 2 defenders between him and the ball, then throw his arms up in frustration when the cross fails to reach him. What is he expecting? Pinpoint perfect crosses past 3 defenders to his head everytime? If so you are right Huth can do the job and then some.

Up till now I don't think anybody knows remotely the kind of service he wants. He doesn't get to the far post, he doesn't get to the near post, he doesn't get round his defender, he doesn't run behind his defender, he doesn't like the ball to his feet, hell he doesn't even bite his defender. Basically he does nothing except sticking behind his defender trying his best to look enthusiatic.

hell he doesn't even bite his defender.:graham:

Yeah I've seen him gesture for the quick switch a lot. Obviously its so the ball can then be crossed deep.

It makes us incredibly predictable and when the ball gets near him his lack of movement makes him easy to Mark. He generally gives away a foul or doesnt even get close to the ball. Its rare that you see him even force a deflection or missed header. Chelsea have made a Living from having big men cause knockdowns in the box. Its not pretty but it's effective.

So, there were fans for and against Benteke. There were also fans for and against Bony. Given that we've now seen both of these big fish taken out of their ponds; which would have been more successful at Anfield?

When it was still a possibility I would definitely have taken Bony over Benteke and thought he'd probably have been a fair bit better suited to Klopp's preferred playing style. Quite a few posters said he was sh!te, but I didn't see it that way myself. Now, though, I'm not 100% sure about him suiting us, because it does bother me a bit that even Aguero's injury didn't persuade Citeh to give him more of a run.

So, there were fans for and against Benteke. There were also fans for and against Bony. Given that we've now seen both of these big fish taken out of their ponds; which would have been more successful at Anfield?
Neither are suited.

Thank Christ we didn't buy Fabian Delph, he's awful. He really is a fish out of water in that City side.

The major problem here is that he's getting worse.

At first he looked good, then he got injured, then he came back and scored a few important goals... he didn't fit that well but that could be worked on - I mean at least he was scoring. No one else is.

Now he's shite. Last few games have been awful. How does that work? Is he simply not responding to what he's being told?

The argument some pundits make, that Benteke will score goals if we get players who'll provide consistently accurate crosses from wide areas, misses the point. And that point is: loads of players will score goals if we had such consistently good service. So if we don't have such service, and we don't want to play like that anyway, then Benteke's pretty much an expensive luxury, at best, or a waste of money, at worst. And if we do want to play that way, then is Benteke exceptionally good at exploiting such service? Not that I've seen. He'll have the odd match in which he looks like an unplayable beast, but then so did Heskey when he was at Leicester (like Benteke, it was usually against us). I hope he'll prove me wrong and find a way to work within this team but I cannot see any sign of progress at all.

Benteke is a good player, if supplied with chances he has a superb conversion rate.

As he has shown already at Liverpool, being our top scorer, despite injury and loss of form. He essentially scores one goal every two starts. That's what he's done here so far. It's what he always has done.

This is it. I think we've been spoiled by havng both Suarez and Sturridge, two quick, incisive forwards who provided a blueprint for how we want to play, with a three pronged attack that interchanges and is fluid, tenacious and versatile. Benteke is just a victim of style and circumstance. We don't create enough, we don't have a full, first choice attack to choose from and we've made some dreadful buys, at least in the short-term. As said, he's still our top scorer, despite struggling to adapt, and us (unfairly) trying to force him to be something he isn't.

If you have an approach that's a bit more direct, as opposed to a patient spell of possession waiting for that killer pass, then he can thrive. Get into the box, create openings, work defenders and move them out of position, and he'll pounce on any loose ball and find the net. Work to his strengths, which isn't just the lazy stereotypical "pump it long" or get wide to cross and pick him out, it's not what his game consists of, if it's a measured, slow approach that requires him to think, it doesn't work, he's not that intelligent a player, but get the ball in early or cause disruption in an opponents box and he's an opportunist, he's as instinctive a finsher as there is in this league.

I'm far from convinced he's our longterm answer, it's fairly evident that he isn't, but while he's the only fit option available, at least play to his strengths and adapt the approach. I thought that was what good managers did? Or if Klopp doesn't see a future for him and wants to impliment a style of play as early as possible, don't play him and waste any more of his and our time.

Benteke is just a victim of style and circumstance.

Well, he clearly isn't 'just' a victim. Even when Lineker was played out on the wing for Barca he looked more dangerous than Benteke does now. Good strikers don't just wait helplessly for everyone to adapt to their specific needs. They work, they fight, they show initiative, they adapt, too. If you want to say it's not all his fault, then fine, but he's not 'just a victim' of anything.

Well, he clearly isn't 'just' a victim. Even when Lineker was played out on the wing for Barca he looked more dangerous than Benteke does now. Good strikers don't just wait helplessly for everyone to adapt to their specific needs. They work, they fight, they show initiative, they adapt, too. If you want to say it's not all his fault, then fine, but he's not 'just a victim' of anything.

It depends on the type of striker you are though. Lineker had pace, he was versatile enough in that sense that you could see why a manager might take that option, just like one might play Suarez wide, or Henry, for instance. Rafa was rightly slammed for playing Crouch and Voronin wide in one game, because you're basically playing two centre forwards wide in an area where you want pace and movement. We knew what Benteke was when we brought him, a hybrid of the standard big burly centre forward and a fox in the box type finisher. We haven't utilised that at all.

For what it's worth, I think Heskey was better than he's remembered on here. Just.

His first full season at Liverpool was fantastic; he was fast, powerful and almost unstoppable at times, scored over 20 goals of all types, and created total havoc, plus he was unselfish and allowed other players to capitalise on the space and opportunities he created. And we won lots of nice, shiny trophies.

If he had been able to replicate anything like tat season again, he'd be a Liverpool great. Sadly, the occasional highlight notwithstanding, that was it.

His first full season at Liverpool was fantastic; he was fast, powerful and almost unstoppable at times, scored over 20 goals of all types, and created total havoc, plus he was unselfish and allowed other players to capitalise on the space and opportunities he created. And we won lots of nice, shiny trophies.

If he had been able to replicate anything like tat season again, he'd be a Liverpool great. Sadly, the occasional highlight notwithstanding, that was it.
And loads of people called him shit during that season.

And loads of people called him shit during that season.

I think alot of people were being sentimental about Fowler, because he was being kept out the team as a result. Heskey was unplayable that season though, he was utterly awesome, for England too.

That's very generous of you. People also called Kuyt and Carragher shit. I think the simpler explanation is that most people are idiots.

That aswell. Kuyt and Carragher were always massive Liverpool players for me, we could do with that kind of passion now.

Yeah...so putting all of that together, he was better than most now give him credit for.

To an extent, yes, but Heskey subsequently fell so far short of those first twelve months that it's not totally surprising his reputation dropped so steeply.

I think he's due some sympathy though, because his job changed the following season, when he was removed from his role as point man in the attack and redeployed as Owen's fetcher and carrier, both for us and for England. There's no doubt he should still have been more dangerous in his own right, but his priorities had to change from that time onwards and it was always going to be more difficult for him to shine as he had originally done.

To an extent, yes, but Heskey subsequently fell so far short of those first twelve months that it's not totally surprising his reputation dropped so steeply.

I think he's due some sympathy though, because his job changed the following season, when he was removed from his role as point man in the attack and redeployed as Owen's fetcher and carrier, both for us and for England. There's no doubt he should still have been more dangerous in his own right, but his priorities had to change from that time onwards and it was always going to be more difficult for him to shine as he had originally done.
And it's often overlooked how much other strikers loved playing alongside him. I liked him although yes of course he could be infuriating.

I was a little shocked when I saw Benteke at Anfield against West Brom just before Christmas. He was unbelievably lazy. He was so half arsed. All the people around me were furious with him. Me too - I nearly dropped my pie with rage!

Then again I saw him at Wembley with Brizzle for last seasons FA cup semi. Liverpool could not cope with him - At all! Every time he got the ball he looked like scoring.

Basically I have no idea - One thing I do know he bloody annoys me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom