• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Is Nunez a bit ..... Stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the forwards (fingers crossed they all stay fit) will all get a fair share of minutes between them.

Salah will play his 393040 games/minutes as usual then the other 4 will get more or less equal minutes.

All the forwards (fingers crossed they all stay fit) will all get a fair share of minutes between them.

Salah will play his 393040 games/minutes as usual then the other 4 will get more or less equal minutes.
Yeah hope so and despite my general pessimism I hope Nunez plays a big part.

I like the team we have this season. Could be better

Ian Rush and Wayne Rooney are fine examples of brilliant brain dead footballers. The problem with Nunez is he seems to have a slow footballing brain too. Everything he does well is instinctual. Every time he has to look up and think it goes to shit

No, to be fair I don't think it is the easiest to learn.

That said, other players seem to manage it, don't they? The basics at least?
As an ex teacher of English I can give a fairly informed opinion. It's wildly easier to learn the basics of English than say French or Spanish (although if you speak English you have a massive advantage here). English doesn't really have real mascuine or feminine forms for one thing. Even the phonics are ok. Only the basics though. Try attempting to teach anything like idioms or slang and youre fucked. If understanding through listening and speaking is your focus. Two hours a day for 9 months. No problem. On average from start to finish you can become proficiant in any language if you dedicate roughly 500 hours to it. That is to say 2 hours a day for 250 days. More hours are needed if that gets stretched out. Say 700 hundred hours spread out over 2 years.

Some might not agree but I found the easiest language to learn was Japanese. Probably because I lived there. Immersion learning. I listened to it - Daily. Read it. I was never interesteted in writing it. Just comprehension and speaking. I'm shit now simply because I've no-one to speak it to. Apart from @junior member who is kind enough not pull me up on my shoddy Nihon-go skills.

Last edited:
So if I’m reading that right, everyone can learn another language as long as they try hard enough and put enough hours into it with the right teacher. A side angle of that is some languages are easier than others.

Hhmmm

so either I’m stupid beyond belief or my wife’s a shit teacher.

So if I’m reading that right, everyone can learn another language as long as they try hard enough and put enough hours into it with the right teacher. A side angle of that is some languages are easier than others.

Hhmmm

Truthfully I can't work out if I should laugh or be annoyed. Maybe It's me that is stupid beyond belief. I wouldn't worry about it @Dee as Vic Revves once said "96% of statitics are all made up" #peaceandlove :)

Hhmmm

Nah… I’m shit at learning languages too - Australian was hard enough to get my head around.

Of course everyone can learn another language. You've already learned a language.

The thing is, most people require a reason to, structure, and external motivation. It's like saying everyone can lose weight. They can. But they don't.

The thing is, a language is more like a muscle than a theory. It's not like learning physics. It's more like getting better at an instrument.

I used to think I was shit at learning languages. Maybe I am. But I'm thousands and thousands of hours into Spanish now, and I'm better. I don't think I could get better quickly without being immersed, which is a good reason to travel.

Last edited:
As an ex teacher of English I can give a fairly informed opinion. It's wildly easier to learn the basics of English than say French or Spanish (although if you speak English you have a massive advantage here). English doesn't really have real mascuine or feminine forms for one thing. Even the phonics are ok. Only the basics though. Try attempting to teach anything like idioms or slang and youre fucked. If understanding through listening and speaking is your focus. Two hours a day for 9 months. No problem. On average from start to finish you can become proficiant in any language if you dedicate roughly 500 hours to it. That is to say 2 hours a day for 250 days. More hours are needed if that gets stretched out. Say 700 hundred hours spread out over 2 years.

Some might not agree but I found the easiest language to learn was Japanese. Probably because I lived there. Immersion learning. I listened to it - Daily. Read it. I was never interesteted in writing it. Just comprehension and speaking. I'm shit now simply because I've no-one to speak it to. Apart from @junior member who is kind enough not pull me up on my shoddy Nihon-go skills.
Japanese is a tough one to learn I think!
But if you can learn the words, you just have to speak like Yoda and you’ve got the word ordering to perfection.

He can still become a good player.
Who doesn't love Jason McAteer, except for Roy Keane.

It was an act with McAteer all along. Someone gave him a lazy rep in his early days and he enjoyed playing up to it. Listen to the guy give an interview.

I think this is old news and the stuff about Klopp being pissed must be from last season. I'm guessing its more that he was pissed about the progression than anything else.
From the Inside training vid from Saturday he was talking to Klopp in English, he's talking to the other lads in English and its also in the video above.

Looks like he has been practicing his English and will only get better. He's going to have a very good season this year.

I've got a friend in Montevideo so naturally I've asked him about Nunez. In a nutshell his views are these. It's true that Nunez isn't the sharpest crayon in the box and, currently at any rate, will probably act daft from time to time. However, in footballing terms he's an absolute beast. No-one's seen the best of him yet, but it won't be long now and, if Liverpool lose patience with him and ship him out to some other team, doing so will come back and bite us on the @rse.

I don't think there's much evidence that Nunez is particularly stupid, especially in a room full of professional footballers. In his own language he sounds genuine, nice, and as straight up the middle in his responses as you'd get. Neither a genius, nor wholly without gorm.

I was very frustrated at the unprofessionalism involved in his not learning English to any basic level, a low bar of comprehension and speech that I will reiterate, is exceedingly easy to achieve. My frustration with this unprofessionalism is on both sides, because just like we don't hope our footballers will eat well, we shouldn't leave it up to them whether they acquire our particular, and clearly (firmino) very basic brand of language for the professions.

Anyway, I've got huge hopes for project Nunez still, and I thought demonstrating some language ability would really signal something to me, because it would show that he is really addressing something he's been called out for and that's how someone who is raw at anything is going to reach their potential.

Him coming back speaking a little and fit as hell is absolutely fantastic.

From the Inside training vid from Saturday he was talking to Klopp in English, he's talking to the other lads in English and its also in the video above.

Looks like he has been practicing his English and will only get better. He's going to have a very good season this year.

Indeed, there was an exchange with Klopp in English. I don't think this is a major issue. Of course he will become more proficient as time goes on.

If anyone is going to sharpen a player with so much raw potential, it's Klopp. We've had plenty of players who've been slow burners (Firmino for one), I think it's really exciting that we're at the beginning again with Nunez and Gapko, they have every bit of talent between them to be as good as Bobby and Mane were, it'll take time though. I think we'll see a big improvement from those two and Diaz this season. At least one of them has to have a blinding season.

If the club deems it important enough, just pay big bucks for the best language coaches, 3 times a week. He will get it in 3 months, otherwise 6 or 12 or so on. He should pick up *something*, no matter how daft he is. It can't be that hard to learn basic conversational English.
They should doing that as a matter of course anyway. Pay X million for a player and not get him the best language teachers?

They should doing that as a matter of course anyway. Pay X million for a player and not get him the best language teachers?

Well we never had a team doctor last season did we ? - that maybe considered a more important thing back then.

The idea that top level footballers are thick is a myth. The average top level footballer is well above the average of the population in general in terms of IQ. Of course some individuals might be below average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom