• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

James Milner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand why he would not want to play at left back - playing LB, or RB are the most difficult roles in the whole team. Think about it:-

1) You have to defend competently
2) You have to attack and support the strikers - more so in the European modern game than probably in the past.
3) You have to constantly run up and down the length of the pitch - not easy for the elder players of the team.

Contrast this will midfield - yes you have to go up and down the pitch but you do it in a build up fashion, not constantly running into space to make yourself available to the midfield like a LB/RB role.

Unfortunately for him Milner - I think we are all finding out that he is one of the best in the league in that position, but I also think he is an above average midfielder with an eye for the pass, and also able to provide decent runs into space. Oh - don't forget - great penalty taker.

Largely agree. We did sign him on a promise that he'd play in central midfield, but fortunately that doesn't seem to be creating a problem. My impression is that the senior position which Milner occupies in the squad appeals to him and maybe that's helping too. Playing in a side which is clearly going places can't hurt either.

Like Carra said, no one wants to play LB - it means you're either a filed winger or a failed centre-back.

In the present case, however, Milner at LB is one of the most fucking important positions in this Liverpool side and he has a big, big influence on the game.

He's not there because we don't think he can play in midfield but because we need a truly heroic presence at LB and I think he appreciates the distinction.

Oi! I played LB and it wasn't 'coz I was a failed winger or CB!

It was because my best position was midfield, practically everybody else wanted to play there as well and some were better than me.

Like Carra said, no one wants to play LB - it means you're either a filed winger or a failed centre-back.

Or you're Roberto Carlos and through your sheer quality and talent you make it into one of the most important positions on the pitch. RC and Cafu were two of my favorite players to watch growing up and since then I've always had a soft spot for Brazilian full-backs: Dani Alves, Maicon, even Marcelo, despite being a bit of a cunt. Hope we'll sign a player like that some day. Or Klopp performs a miracle and turns Moreno into one.

Last edited:
Oi! I played LB and it wasn't 'coz I was a failed winger or CB!

It was because my best position was midfield, practically everybody else wanted to play there as well and some were better than me.

I didn't say that!! Carra did!

btw I always played LB / RB and yes it was because I had no skills and couldn't finish.

I played in goal. That was cos I can barely kick the fucking ball, so was picked last so consistently I eventually become just better than mediocre at keeping the ball from going in. Often using my face or groin.

I didn't say that!! Carra did!

btw I always played LB / RB and yes it was because I had no skills and couldn't finish.

Haha. The ironic thing is that Carra wasn't much cop at CB when he first played there, but kept his career on track by becoming an excellent LB in the Treble season. Maybe that's what he had in mind. ;)

Last edited:
I played in goal. That was cos I can barely kick the fucking ball, so was picked last so consistently I eventually become just better than mediocre at keeping the ball from going in. Often using my face or groin.

When I was a kid, a common playground rule was that we switched goalies after X no. of goals were scored. There were lots of kids that deliberately let in goals so they could be off the hook, and a few that made an art of diving theatrically so that you looked like they really tried, but all they really cared about was not getting smashed by the ball.

Great game again today, especially in the second half. We look so much more solid with Moreno on the bench and his right foot doesn't seem to hinder our attacking play.

Great penalty but he was rubbish for the most part today, poor decisions time and time again.
Got caught badly a couple of times late on trying to be cute when he should have just thumped it clear.
Still infinitely better than Moreno.

Some man isn't he? Ice cold dink down the middle to win us the game.

Great penalty but he was rubbish for the most part today, poor decisions time and time again.
Got caught badly a couple of times late on trying to be cute when he should have just thumped it clear.
Still infinitely better than Moreno.

Really? I though he was good - much more offensive in the second half. The Echo give him an 8/10

Really? I though he was good - much more offensive in the second half. The Echo give him an 8/10
Much improved 2nd half but still thought he made the wrong choice or misplaced a pace too many times and nearly cost us at the end twice.

Penalty alone was worth 5/10

He's been a brilliant signing. I'm not his biggest fan at LB, although he's doing a decent job and proved himself an essential component of this side regardless of position.

Wasn't too hyped up when we got him as have been burnt before on big name freebies ( see Joe Cole,Harry Kewell ) but am delighted to say got it wrong entirely,his transition to LB has only reinforced my opinion that he is a real team player that would run through walls for us :) One of the first names on my team sheet when fit regardless of where he plays

He's a proper footballer. His dogged style is pretty ideal for a leftback and he has the composure of a midfielder where he doesn't lose the ball cheaply.

I'm so glad he's starting instead of Moreno for the next manu match. I still remember the nightmare of seeing Moreno pee in his pants whenever a manu player close in on him.

Would still like to see Flanno do well at Burnley so he can get a crack at it next season ( Love his commitment )

Was hoping to get him back to us match fit rather than selling him on,he is still young and a Redman through and through :) Hopefully he rediscovers his form and can put his injury hell behind him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom