• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Your LFC team (get to know your fellow SCM'ers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I first took an interest in the mid 80s, but I was just a kid then. I remember Rush, Molby, Walsh, Grobbelaar and a few others. Dalglish was on the verge of being player manager then.

I remember actually watching games a bit after that when we had Barnes, McMahon, Houghton, Beardsley and Aldridge as well.

It was around 1990 when I was more obsessed, followed every game, could name every player etc.

For favourite players, I really liked Barnes obviously, and also Molby.

My absolute favourite player from when I was growing up though came a few years later, and it was Fowler.

It had been a couple of pretty miserable seasons for Liverpool really before he came along and it was the first time I'd seen a really brilliant player come through, and things were a bit more fun for a while after that. Even though we still didn't win anything.

Lobanovskiy would have enjoyed our triumph in Istanbul then. I've always thought of that as the ultimate triumph of a team over a collection of mostly superior individuals.

At the time I remember thinking Rebrov was both lucky to have Shevchenko as a partner and unlucky that his quality diverted attention from Rebrov's own. A little later on I also remember thinking we got the wrong Shevchenko partner when that (sorry) massive downgrade Voronin arrived at LFC.

Don’t think Voronin was anywhere near the same quality, to be honest. And he never even played in Ukraine in his career; his family moved to Germany when he was still a kid, he grew up in German football system and had almost no connection to Ukrainian football since then, except the occasional national team call-up.

What team did you grow up watching?
Early-but more Mid 90s, thankfully don't remember too much about the Souness days but enough to know it was a heap of shit, it was the last season before the Prem cut it's ties from 22 teams to 20.

James R.Jones Ruddock Babb Matteo Redknapp Mcateer Barnes Mcmanaman Rush Fowler

Mid 70s, Clemence, Jones, Neal, Hughes, Smith, Callaghan, Kennedy, Heighway, Case, Keegan & Toshack.

Last edited:
blurred memories of 1984 teams and onwards - stopped watching football apart from world cup after the Hillsborough disaster (89), and resumed watching football in parts and after the excitement of Italia 90, but got fully into following team again season starting 94/95 and the spice boys era only because of my love of Brazilian football had re-ignited after their 94 win and watching Romario.

I wonder who fell in love with Liverpool during GH's era. The football was very hard to watch - though we won trophies. I remember when we lost the title to George Graham squad, but that was hazy. My teen years were the 90s, it was horrible. I remember Sourness taking over, and his style of management did not work.

To be fair, that 2001 season (and the following season as well, to a degree) were great. We had some great attacking players and scored lots of goals.

Things became a little duller in his last two seasons, admittedly.

I watched Liverpool before Houllier, but I loved Houllier. That's the team I think of most when going from "my dad is watching football, let me check in on that" to "this is a religious necessity."

Football really was the only peaceful thing that my dad and I agreed on at that point and I think it allowed us to rebuild our relationship. It also became substantially easier to watch in the USA.

The first few years with Houllier were a really fun ride for me.

Started following Liverpool in the 89/90 season. First game I can properly remember watching was a lovely 2-5 win at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea.
Favorite player for the first couple of seasons was Steve Nicol.

I wonder who fell in love with Liverpool during GH's era. The football was very hard to watch - though we won trophies. I remember when we lost the title to George Graham squad, but that was hazy. My teen years were the 90s, it was horrible. I remember Sourness taking over, and his style of management did not work.
I think we got a lot of fans during the GH era, not because of him or what we won, but because we had a young Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard.

Early 80s is when I truly got enveloped by the team. Saying that I remember always loving King Kenny.
As a side note, my Mum took me out of primary school around 1980 to meet Kevin Keegan at a regional airport near us (no idea why he was in N.Ireland). I had my LFC, umbro track suit on, this was my pride and joy. We duly met Mr Keegan who on seeing me said to my Mum, good to see that I was being brought up supporting Liverpool. I recall his sidekick saying something like "Don't let Lawrie hear you saying that " To which Keegan replied "They're the greatest in Europe ". I think he had just signed for Southampton.

The 2001/2 season did start off well, but we then lost a game we should have won away to Middlesborough, whereupon GH lost his nerve and drew our horns back in and the players wilted visibly from then on.. I knew from the aftermath of that game onwards that he wasn't going to be the guy who would take us on to bigger and better things.

I still believed in that season. It was obviously pretty rocky, first with the whole 2 goalkeeper weirdness, then Houllier having a heart attack and Thompson taking over, then Fowler leaving, but we were challenging and we were doing well in the Champions League too (our first year in it I think).

I remember Anelka joining halfway through as well which was good.

Obviously things tailed off at the end, and Houllier probably came back sooner than he should have done really, which didn't help.

It was the season after that when it all went wrong really. All of our signings were shit and we had a pretty awful season. No way back for Houllier after that, sadly.

To be fair, that 2001 season (and the following season as well, to a degree) were great. We had some great attacking players and scored lots of goals.

Things became a little duller in his last two seasons, admittedly.

IMO it was the end of that following season/early part of the one after that when things started to go wrong for GH at LFC. Anelka had been a complete revelation, revitalised the whole side and was desperate to stay (to the extent of offering to take a pay cut), so GH's decision to go with Diouf instead came as a major and highly unpleasant surprise and I maintain it was his first serious blunder.

Still, as you say we started the following season well, but then the game against Middlesborough away changed everything. GH threw the attacking football out, brought the uber-pragmatic approach back and took the wind right out of the players' sails in the process. We were never going to get back on track after that and it became a long, slow, undeserved and rather sad deconstruction of his legacy.

I used to get £5 pocket money for washing the dishes up after dinner during the week. On one fateful evening, my old man decided not to pay up, due to me failing to do it on one of the days (he even laughed when telling me)! I wasn't really into football, but my dad supported united, so I decided to support Liverpool to wind him up

First team I can remember is late 80's, early 90's I think.

I loved Barnes, Beardsley, Hansen and Rush, but for some reason Steve McMahon was my favourite.

76-77 team for me. I was too young to know of, or understand, the rivalry with the mancs but the cup final defeat still hurts as it was the first final loss. Big ears made up for it though and that was at a time when football was hardly ever on telly so it was an even more special night.

There were obvious stand out players during that era but Ray Kennedy was a favourite as I thought he was an unsung hero.

My mum was from Bootle so we would go to Liverpool at Christmas to see family and typically Liverpool would be playing away so my brother and I never really got to see them much. We didn't know about the boys pen so stood on the Kop with all the pissed auld fellers. The first time it was relatively empty so we could stand where we wanted and thought it was great. The second time they shut the gates at half time and it still mystifies me how we started about two thirds of the way down and by the of the game were two thirds of the way back without moving :)

blurred memories of 1984 teams and onwards - stopped watching football apart from world cup after the Hillsborough disaster (89), and resumed watching football in parts and after the excitement of Italia 90, but got fully into following team again season starting 94/95 and the spice boys era only because of my love of Brazilian football had re-ignited after their 94 win and watching Romario.
That '82 Brazilian team was the best one ever for me.. Zico and Socrates are two players I would have loved to have played for us

My Dad took me to a pre-season friendly (or was it a very early European Cup match) V Dundalk at Landsdown Road in the late 70's... I would have been 7, 8 at most. There is nothing like the redness of those red shirts the first time you see them on that gorgeous green grass - I was immediately hooked.

My favourite player at the very start was Ray Kennedy. As I started growing up and becoming obsessed in the early 80s, though sad to see Ray leave (for Swansea - instantly my second favourite club), as a young North Dublin snapper, I then instantly fell head over heels in love with Ronnie Whelan, especially after that Spurs Milk Cup Final. He's been my all-time favourite ever since, but Jockey Hansen comes a very close second, with honourable mentions for Steve Nicol, Rushie, The King, the original Macca and Big Jan.

The first match I remember vividly - there are earlier blurs of football, but nothing clear and certain - was the 1980 League Cup Final against West Ham. In Dublin, we only got a couple of live matches a year - usually finals - so this was a rare treat, and the replay (once we won it!) was even better again. Can still picture the King sliding in for that equalizer like I'm watching it on TV live! :)

76-77 team for me. I was too young to know of, or understand, the rivalry with the mancs but the cup final defeat still hurts as it was the first final loss. Big ears made up for it though and that was at a time when football was hardly ever on telly so it was an even more special night.

There were obvious stand out players during that era but Ray Kennedy was a favourite as I thought he was an unsung hero.

My mum was from Bootle so we would go to Liverpool at Christmas to see family and typically Liverpool would be playing away so my brother and I never really got to see them much. We didn't know about the boys pen so stood on the Kop with all the pissed auld fellers. The first time it was relatively empty so we could stand where we wanted and thought it was great. The second time they shut the gates at half time and it still mystifies me how we started about two thirds of the way down and by the of the game were two thirds of the way back without moving :)

Probably wise to have given the Boy's Pen a miss. It was an 'interesting' place.;)
Anyone who stood on either the Kop or the Anfield Road End in a 50,000 + crowd will have had that experience of ending up in a completely different place to where you started, without knowing how you'd done it. It would scare the life out of me now, but just seemed natural then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom